British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   (ADVICE NEEDED) NVQ level 2 Qualified plumber (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/advice-needed-nvq-level-2-qualified-plumber-900860/)

wrax85 Jul 30th 2017 7:58 pm

(ADVICE NEEDED) NVQ level 2 Qualified plumber

Hi all,

I have just been vetted and have qualified for a full Independent Permanent Residency VISA (Subclass 189).

I have been running my own business now for the last 7 years and have made the decision we want to take the plunge and move over to Australia with our 2 year old daughter to provide hopefully a better way of life.

The problem I have come across after reading threads online is that its actual NOT that straight forward setting up your own business or at least getting a job without AUS experience. Also converting your qualifications to there equivalent is very time consuming and costly.

The adviser told me I would walk straight into work etc and for being very successful here in England I don't want to just give this all up to struggle once we get here.

I have my Level 2 NVQ in plumbing and also just about to complete my ACS in Gas. I have also a Level 4 HNC in Building Service Engineering.

If anyone has any advice regarding this it would help massively as well as advice on the best places to immigrate to and types of pay etc...

Thanks in advance :)

Pollyana Jul 30th 2017 9:11 pm

Re: (ADVICE NEEDED) NVQ level 2 Qualified plumber

Originally Posted by wrax85 (Post 12305890)
Hi all,

I have just been vetted and have qualified for a full Independent Permanent Residency VISA (Subclass 189).

I have been running my own business now for the last 7 years and have made the decision we want to take the plunge and move over to Australia with our 2 year old daughter to provide hopefully a better way of life.

The problem I have come across after reading threads online is that its actual NOT that straight forward setting up your own business or at least getting a job without AUS experience. Also converting your qualifications to there equivalent is very time consuming and costly.

The adviser told me I would walk straight into work etc and for being very successful here in England I don't want to just give this all up to struggle once we get here.

I have my Level 2 NVQ in plumbing and also just about to complete my ACS in Gas. I have also a Level 4 HNC in Building Service Engineering.

If anyone has any advice regarding this it would help massively as well as advice on the best places to immigrate to and types of pay etc...

Thanks in advance :)

When you say you have been vetted and have qualified for a visa, that sounds like you have just done a test on a migration company website, or spoken to an agent. Have you actually been through what you need to do to get a 189 visa? Have you looked at the skills assessment process at all?

If we can understand the stage you are at we might be able to help a bit more:)

wrax85 Jul 30th 2017 9:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have sent all my documentation across including qualifications and they have come back saying I qualify for the subclass 189.

Thanks

Pollyana Jul 30th 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by wrax85 (Post 12305917)
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have sent all my documentation across including qualifications and they have come back saying I qualify for the subclass 189.

Thanks

Across to who? A migration agent? Or the Skills Assessment body (someone like TRA or Vetassess)?

wrax85 Jul 30th 2017 9:42 pm

Yes a migration agent

Pollyana Jul 30th 2017 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by wrax85 (Post 12305925)
Yes a migration agent

Long way to go yet then. There are people on here far more versed in Skilsl Visas then I, but until they turn up, here's a starter.
If you are using an agent, make sure they are registered with MARA (should say on their website).
Then have a read through https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-
Even if you go with an agent you should now the basics of the process. You will need to pass a Skills Assessment, possibly pass the English exam IELTS for extra points (depending on age etc) and do police checks and medical eventually.

All they have done so far is look at your paperwork and think that you loo like being eligible for a visa.

As for just walking into a job - its no easier here than back home, trust me!

Pollyana Jul 30th 2017 10:04 pm

There is a good thread here about plumbers migrating to Aus
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...advice-875897/

Just bear in mind some of the actual visa details may have changed in the last year or so, but the basic info is still valid

jon111 Aug 8th 2017 4:55 pm

Interesting im awaiting my skills test for plumbing at blackburn college its been put back once and im due on it on the 24th so hopefully not long to wait now will let you know how difficult/easy it is. and if you get on one before me ill be annoyed lol been waiting 4 months now

:)

old.sparkles Aug 9th 2017 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12312265)
Interesting im awaiting my skills test for plumbing at blackburn college its been put back once and im due on it on the 24th so hopefully not long to wait now will let you know how difficult/easy it is. and if you get on one before me ill be annoyed lol been waiting 4 months now

:)

Who did you go with for the assessment - Vetassess?

jon111 Aug 12th 2017 9:33 pm

yes vetassess and got confirmation yesterday that im getting the skills assessment on the 24th so yay :)

old.sparkles Aug 13th 2017 3:30 am

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12315391)
yes vetassess and got confirmation yesterday that im getting the skills assessment on the 24th so yay :)

That's good - it means you passed the first stage so congrats and good luck with the prac :)