Advice needed

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 am
Paul

Default Advice needed

Hi All,

I need some advice on the best way to proceed with a planned move to Australia.

Im sure its a familiar story but i met someone throught the net who is an Aus citizen
and we have had a continuing relationship for about a year. We are both mature adults
and are not entering into things lightly but we have decided that we would like to be
together and due to her family ties that we would like to reside in Australia.

I am a UK passport holder but i am currently in canada and hold a permamnent visa to
work/live here. I have resided in canada for about 18 months but hope to return to
the UK shortly (work stuff).

We would like to get married and have been trying to think of the best way to
proceed. Should we apply for the fiance(e) visa and if so what kind of time scale
should we expect? Or as we really are commited to being together, is it a bad move to
get married outside of Aus and apply as a spouse although we would not have
physically lived together for 12 months.

I could go to Aus on a visa and support myself for a fairly long period so that we
can be together for a while, is this a good idea and can i make application or even
get married while i am out there? I know that i would have to leave during the visa
decision/application process.

Any help or information would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Old May 1st 2002, 9:00 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Advice needed

Hi Paul,

Yes, a very familiar story, and one which has been answered here a number of times.
For technical reasons you need to decide where you want to get married, and do it.
Then you need to visit Australia before deciding which country you want to stay in.
This is very important when it comes to completing your arrival card and then lodging
your visa application.

Email me for more advice if you like.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

You need to decide where you want to be when you marry and afterwards. ther you want
to lodge your application in either Australia or overseas Paul wrote in message ...
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I need some advice on the best way to proceed with a planned move to Australia.
    >
    >Im sure its a familiar story but i met someone throught the net who is an Aus
    >citizen and we have had a continuing relationship for about a year. We are both
    >mature adults and are not entering into things lightly but we have decided that we
    >would like to be together and due to her family ties that
we
    >would like to reside in Australia.
    >
    >I am a UK passport holder but i am currently in canada and hold a permamnent visa to
    >work/live here. I have resided in canada for about 18 months but hope to return to
    >the UK shortly (work stuff).
    >
    >We would like to get married and have been trying to think of the best way to
    >proceed. Should we apply for the fiance(e) visa and if so what kind of time scale
    >should we expect? Or as we really are commited to being
together,
    >is it a bad move to get married outside of Aus and apply as a spouse although we
    >would not have physically lived together for 12 months.
    >
    >I could go to Aus on a visa and support myself for a fairly long period so that we
    >can be together for a while, is this a good idea and can i make application or even
    >get married while i am out there? I know that i would have to leave during the visa
    >decision/application process.
    >
    >Any help or information would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Paul.