Wikiposts

Adoption and dual citizenship help??

Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:49 am
Just Joined

ChloeBowey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adoption and dual citizenship help??

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this.

My english Step-dad lives in Australia, and been my dad for 20 years, but has never adopted me, I'm 26 years old. He finally want to adopt me as his own. Will this enable me to obtain a dual citizenship for australia and Britain?

This would be useful, I would like to go and spend a few years there getting to know my step family a lot better.

Thank you for your help!

Chloe
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adoption and dual citizenship help??

Not really enough information here, but on the face of it, I would say no probably not. Mainly because you say he is English, so presume he went over as an immigrant,what is his status now? People applying for immigration now cannot automatically bring over adult non-dependent children so this would almost certainly be the same for you, even if you were a natural child.

A fuller background of your status and your stepdad's status (where is your mother by the way?) might help with more thoughts.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Dec 6th 2009 at 4:14 am.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChloeBowey
Hello,

My english Step-dad lives in Australia, and been my dad for 20 years, but has never adopted me, I'm 26 years old. He finally want to adopt me as his own. Will this enable me to obtain a dual citizenship for australia and Britain?
You haven't even told us if your step-father is an Australian citizen ...

Anyway, the answer is no, because:

- you can't normally be adopted at age 26, as far as I know (check the law where you live); and

- Even if he did adopt you and even if he is an Australian citizen, it still wouldn't make you an Australian citizen. It is possible for adoption to confer Australian citizenship but only in the following ways:

1. Adoption under Australian law by an Australian citizen parent, where the child is a permanent resident; or

2. A qualifying overseas Hague Convention adoption; or

3. Another overseas adoption where application for the child to be granted Australian citizenship is made before age 18.

Best you can probably hope for is some extra points in the skilled sponsored migration program, if your step-father counts as a relative for migration purposes, but that is not easy at the moment.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Ok, some more information.

I am Australian born and an Australian citizen. My mother is still married to my step father and is an Australian. I am trying to find out if he can adopt me, and if that would allow me dual citizenship with UK.

He did immigrate to australia 20 years ago. I'll try and find out if he is an australian citizen now. I'm not sure.

I did think that 26 was a bit late to adopt me. But no harm in asking.

Thanks
Chloe
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Aha. So it is UK citizenship you are after. Well this are of BE is about people trying to get Australian PR or citizenship not t'other way around. You might be better off asking mod to move your thread into the "moving back to uk" area. Or JAJ may come back as he is knowledgeable about many countries rules.

I would say no you cannot be adopted as a 26 year old in UK. I don't know much about other options for getting to UK unfortunately.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Aha. So it is UK citizenship you are after. Well this are of BE is about people trying to get Australian PR or citizenship not t'other way around. You might be better off asking mod to move your thread into the "moving back to uk" area. Or JAJ may come back as he is knowledgeable about many countries rules.

I would say no you cannot be adopted as a 26 year old in UK. I don't know much about other options for getting to UK unfortunately.
Rules in the UK are similar to Australia. If a British citizen adopts in Australia, and it's not a qualifying Hague Convention adoption, application for the child to have British citizenship must be done before age 18.

Adoptive relationships are acceptable for the Ancestry Visa, as far as I know, but unclear if it is legally possible to adopt after age 18 and even if so, for visa purposes that may not count.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

This would be useful, I would like to go and spend a few years there getting to know my step family a lot better.

Thank you for your help!

Chloe
Step Dad can't sponsor you as no legal ties. He can't adopt you as you're too old. You'll have to look down other avenues such as training in a job on the skills list if it means that much to you, or go for a year on a working holiday visa
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:54 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Step Dad can't sponsor you as no legal ties. He can't adopt you as you're too old. You'll have to look down other avenues such as training in a job on the skills list if it means that much to you, or go for a year on a working holiday visa
If you read the earlier posts you'll see it's nothing to do with getting into Australia ...
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies,

I have other reasons for wanting an adoption, mainly cutting ties with estranged biological father and for closure. So I am investigating weather adoption at this late stage in life is possible. Being able to get dual citizenship so I could easily see my step brothers family would be a bonus.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks for the replies,

I have other reasons for wanting an adoption, mainly cutting ties with estranged biological father and for closure. So I am investigating weather adoption at this late stage in life is possible. Being able to get dual citizenship so I could easily see my step brothers family would be a bonus.
What Australian state are you in? For example,
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lrc.nsf/pages/R81CHP4

You've already been told you won't get dual citizenship. As for an ancestry visa, it is unclear whether an adoption at age 18+ would be recognised for that purpose under UK immigration law. See an immigration solicitor if important.