Wikiposts

ACS - Would I be wasting my time?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough
Default ACS - Would I be wasting my time?

I intended to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa as Computing Professionals (nec) however I'm not sure if my IT experience is relevant for this category. Is there somewhere that lists the specific skills in this category?

I have 20 years experience in IT. 16 years of which was as a service engineer doing hardware repairs on PCs, Servers, Laptops, Laser Printers and other associated equipment. (Note: Most of this was self-employed)

The last 4 years I've been employed full time as the main IT support person for a small company (20 people) and have done the following:
migrating NT server to Win 2003 (and a bit of Linux),
designed and implimented MS Access databases,
Test/Repair of Systems, Servers, Laptops, Printers,
Secure data erasure of hard drives,
Admin of in-house mail-server,
virus/malware removal,
network cabling,
customer support by telephone and email

The last few months I've managed the warehouse in addition to all of the above. Adding to my duties:
Tracking the processing of purchase orders
QC on the work done by all warehouse staff
Allocating jobs for staff and prioritizing warehouse tasks.

I have NO IT qualifications though but have a Higher National Diploma in Electronics & Electrical Engineering (Qualification date 1989)

Other than "Computing Professionals (nec)" the only other option that I can see for myself is "Computer Support Technician" however this would give me insufficient points for entry into Australia

Can anyone advise me on my path to migration to Australia?

Thanks

Paul
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default Re: ACS - Would I be wasting my time?

Originally Posted by G1ZmO
I intended to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa as Computing Professionals (nec) however I'm not sure if my IT experience is relevant for this category. Is there somewhere that lists the specific skills in this category?

I have 20 years experience in IT. 16 years of which was as a service engineer doing hardware repairs on PCs, Servers, Laptops, Laser Printers and other associated equipment. (Note: Most of this was self-employed)

The last 4 years I've been employed full time as the main IT support person for a small company (20 people) and have done the following:
migrating NT server to Win 2003 (and a bit of Linux),
designed and implimented MS Access databases,
Test/Repair of Systems, Servers, Laptops, Printers,
Secure data erasure of hard drives,
Admin of in-house mail-server,
virus/malware removal,
network cabling,
customer support by telephone and email

The last few months I've managed the warehouse in addition to all of the above. Adding to my duties:
Tracking the processing of purchase orders
QC on the work done by all warehouse staff
Allocating jobs for staff and prioritizing warehouse tasks.

I have NO IT qualifications though but have a Higher National Diploma in Electronics & Electrical Engineering (Qualification date 1989)

Other than "Computing Professionals (nec)" the only other option that I can see for myself is "Computer Support Technician" however this would give me insufficient points for entry into Australia

Can anyone advise me on my path to migration to Australia?

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

From what I can see the Computer Professionals (nec) is for those with very specific skills in certain 'in demand' areas of IT, that do not come under the standard IT Auditor, IT Manager, IT Engineer categories.

Please see this link, they specify the sorts for skills in demand that would be included in that category....

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-in-demand.htm

I fear that, with the experience you describe, that they will certainly categorize you as a 'computer support technician'.

Obviously the points system is there to show what skills are in demand. I work as an IT Manager here in Sydney and we get lots of students coming out of college with IT qualifications who use 'technician' roles to get a foot on the ladder.

Are you intending to come over on your own, with family? Where are you intending to move to? Are there other Visa options available?

Feel free to PM me if you need any help?

Best Wishes

Simon
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Simon,

I was intending bring my family over (partner, teen and toddler) and really would have liked to make the move on a permanent visa. I'm not sure what other options are open to me yet. I have requested a call from a migration agent but I believe they are extremely busy.

I don't think I can get enough entry points as a support tech.

We were intending to move to Melbourne as that is where our other daughter is going on her temp visa.

Thanks,

Paul

PS I see that Electronics Engineer is on the MODL but it's been 20 years since I qualified and I've had little use for the knowledge gained at the time so a fair amount has no doubt trickled out of my brain LOL (not to mention that things have moved on a fair bit in 20 years)

Last edited by G1ZmO; Feb 3rd 2009 at 8:57 am. Reason: Additional PS
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

PS I see that Electronics Engineer is on the MODL but it's been 20 years since I qualified and I've had little use for the knowledge gained at the time so a fair amount has no doubt trickled out of my brain LOL (not to mention that things have moved on a fair bit in 20 years)
Is your diploma accredited by the Engineering Council UK for Incorporated Engineer?

If so, you might be able to get a skill assessment as an Engineering Technologist under the Sydney Accord.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice

Just a heads up, ACT is currently sponsoring Computing Technicians for a 176 visa, maybe take a look at that?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for those suggestions folks.

Pietie: That's worth considering though we were aiming for Melbourne as that's where our daughter is going to be with her boyfriend.

JAJ: I'll try to find out about that also.

Thanks

Paul
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

From http://www.engc.org.uk/accreditation/hn_awards.asp
Higher National awards

The academic requirement for IEng registration was raised in 1999 to Bachelor's degree level. With the exception of a small number of accredited HNC/HND courses listed on this Academic Course Accreditation Database (ACAD), whose accreditation extends beyond 1999, HNC/HND qualifications started September 1999 or later no longer satisfy the IEng registration requirement.

Holders of Higher National awards seeking recognition of their qualifications under the Sydney Accord for the purposes of migration whose qualifications do not appear on ACAD should apply for qualifications assessment using the assessment form available on our website ( http://www.engc.org.uk/Services/Sydn...ssessment.aspx). A copy of the certificate and transcript (which details the units completed in gaining the award) should be attached. Where a Higher National award satisfies the rules below a letter of attestation will be issued. Where a qualification does not satisfy the rules appropriate advice will be given.

The following rules apply:

* EdExcel/BTEC/TEC/SCOTVEC/SCOTEC Engineering HD/HNDs started before September 1999 satisfy the academic requirements for IEng registration

As my HND started in 1986 I assume that means my qualification is accredited? Is that good?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

From http://www.engc.org.uk/accreditation/hn_awards.asp
Higher National awards

The academic requirement for IEng registration was raised in 1999 to Bachelor's degree level. With the exception of a small number of accredited HNC/HND courses listed on this Academic Course Accreditation Database (ACAD), whose accreditation extends beyond 1999, HNC/HND qualifications started September 1999 or later no longer satisfy the IEng registration requirement.

Holders of Higher National awards seeking recognition of their qualifications under the Sydney Accord for the purposes of migration whose qualifications do not appear on ACAD should apply for qualifications assessment using the assessment form available on our website ( http://www.engc.org.uk/Services/Sydn...ssessment.aspx). A copy of the certificate and transcript (which details the units completed in gaining the award) should be attached. Where a Higher National award satisfies the rules below a letter of attestation will be issued. Where a qualification does not satisfy the rules appropriate advice will be given.

The following rules apply:

* EdExcel/BTEC/TEC/SCOTVEC/SCOTEC Engineering HD/HNDs started before September 1999 satisfy the academic requirements for IEng registration

As my HND started in 1986 I assume that means my qualification is accredited? Is that good?
It is good in that it scores you 60 points with a simple skills assessment - you may still struggle to get 120 points though if you have no relatives to sponsor you.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Does that mean though that my I'd need to find a job that's electronics based instead of IT?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean though that my I'd need to find a job that's electronics based instead of IT?
No, you could get recognised as an Electronics or Electrical Engineering Technologist and use your current skilled experience as IT Support Technician - If the experience as Support Technician is found not to be closely related to your assessed occupation of Engineering technologist, you only score 5 points for Specific Work Experience in stead of 10. If you need State Sponsorship, ACT may agree to sponsor you, eventhough your assessed occupation is Engineering Technologist, if they want Support technicians and it is obvious from your experience that you are a skilled support technician - even more chance if you can get some sort of job offer.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Ah great! An interesting way of doing things

Passed the idea of ACT by my partner and she'd be ok with there as long as we can get to Melbourne occasionally to see our daughter (or vice versa)

Needs a bit more research but it helps me feel a little more positive about our prospects of migration!

Many thanks

Paul (and Mel)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah great! An interesting way of doing things

Passed the idea of ACT by my partner and she'd be ok with there as long as we can get to Melbourne occasionally to see our daughter (or vice versa)

Needs a bit more research but it helps me feel a little more positive about our prospects of migration!

Many thanks

Paul (and Mel)
Daughter in Melbourne ? is she permanent visa holder ?

Your score would be:

Engineering HND = 60 points
Specific work experience = 5
English without test = 15
Aged 40 to 44 = 15

I would do the IELTS test to see if you could get your score increased by 10 to a total of 105. Then you can be spponsored by that relative, when thet are or becoem a permanent resident, and get a permanent visa to live anywhere in Australia.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Nah Tony, She's going out to Melbourne on a working visa to live with her boyfriend who moved out in Jan but she can't apply for her visa until June when she turns 18. So she wont be a permanent resident.

I will look into doing the IELTS test though as I doubt that would cause me much trouble. Any extra points can only be of benefit eh?

Thanks again,

Paul
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Would there be any benefit in our visa application if my partner also did the IELTS test?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Would there be any benefit in our visa application if my partner also did the IELTS test?
No, not if yo uare main applicant. I looked at soem of your previous posts and there is another realtive going out soon ? on permanent visa ?

Here is another interesting way:

Two brothers contacted me - one was turning 45 soon non-MODL trade not on any State sponsorship lists and could only score 100 or 110 with IELTS test which he was not confidant of passing. Other brother was in 30's and scored the 120 points no problem.

solution:

Quickly got 44 year old through TRA and lodged as a 175 scoring 100 points. other brother has now just been lodged as 175 scoring 125 points.

The 44 year old is now 45. It is likely his application will be assessed before his brother gets his visa and moves to Australia - so older brother's application is likely to go into the POOL for 2 years.

As long as the younger brother gets his visa and migrates properly to Australia before the 2 year period in the POOL expires, we can just lodge a sponsorship form from the brother and the older brother's application gets processed as a 176 automatically o nreceipt of the sponsorship form.

So if you have a sibling emigrating to Australia any time in the near future, and you can score at least 100 points, yo ucan apply in advance of tha trelative moving there.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.