Wikiposts

ACS +ve but I need some advice

Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS +ve but I need some advice

Originally Posted by JAJ
IELTS tests more than just spoken English.

Regarding your point on MODL, some skill assessing authorities (not ACS) have their own English requirements.
Ok but its still a scam. My occupation is with ACS and should it be more required next year then it might be on the MODL list. Its really nothing to do with the difference between competent and proficient english. Its just about making up points. Take the price of the test out of the equation and it would just be a waste of time.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

well looking around it would appear I WILL have to take the IELTS Test more duff info from my agent
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the thinking behind the system. Yes, there are many British people whose English is of a poor standard. However, the IELTS staff I spoke to at my test were not impressed with this move. They said that the tests are not designed to test English speakers, but rather the competency of English learners.

Just thank your lucky stars that you are a native English speaker, get the practice book, practice loads and get the extra points.

When I booked my test I asked for a cancellation if one came up - which it did. I'd recommend this as a tactic if you can't get a place in the near future. I'd also recommend booking a second test in case you fail the first - it means you don't panic too much.

Good luck you will be fine!

BTW - ask your agent why they didn't tell you about this before as it will have delayed your application!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:40 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edie209
well looking around it would appear I WILL have to take the IELTS Test more duff info from my agent
Bit shocked your agent didn't inform you of this earlier on!!!
Anyway, as I said to knockoff, try to book your test asap as there seems to be quite a waiting list in some centres. Book the 'General' test....costs £95.
Good luck,
Beth x x
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I understand the thinking behind the system. Yes, there are many British people whose English is of a poor standard. However, the IELTS staff I spoke to at my test were not impressed with this move. They said that the tests are not designed to test English speakers, but rather the competency of English learners.

Just thank your lucky stars that you are a native English speaker, get the practice book, practice loads and get the extra points.

When I booked my test I asked for a cancellation if one came up - which it did. I'd recommend this as a tactic if you can't get a place in the near future. I'd also recommend booking a second test in case you fail the first - it means you don't panic too much.

Good luck you will be fine!

BTW - ask your agent why they didn't tell you about this before as it will have delayed your application!
Well this is sort of my point. If I was not a native speaker and studied for this test I could get the 25 points. Being a native speaker and only getting 15 means I have to sit the same test for the same money and put a delay on my application. Being a native english speaker only makes the exam a bit easier, it doesnt give me any extra points above a person who has english as their weaker language.

Anyway, rules are rules I suppose. And I agree Eddie. Agents who leave this info out should not be in the business.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:49 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Well this is sort of my point. If I was not a native speaker and studied for this test I could get the 25 points. Being a native speaker and only getting 15 means I have to sit the same test for the same money and put a delay on my application. Being a native english speaker only makes the exam a bit easier, it doesnt give me any extra points above a person who has english as their weaker language.

Anyway, rules are rules I suppose. And I agree Eddie. Agents who leave this info out should not be in the business.
My old agent (not Go Matilda!!!) didn't even tell us about the IELTS test!!!!! Told us we should invest the $100,000AUD for 5 points ( as this was back in May).
I did a bit of researching and found out that the extra points for sitting the IELTS were available from Sept 1st, meaning we wouldn't have to invest (good job considering now!!!)
So hubby sat and passed the IELTS, and we just waited for Sept 1st.......also sacked my old agent for not being up-to-date on visa issues!!!! :curse:
Best thing I did too
Beth x x
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

I have just had a look at my local test center and they have a test available on the 15th of Jan do you think that's too early?

I went to Grammar school and have studied two Hnd's ( just to give you an idea of my english language )
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I was agreeing with you. LOL. It is yet another hurdle to get over. Good luck!

Sadly, there are some shocking agents out there - not meaning Tony, George or Alan of course!! Hope Edie gets to the bottom of this.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have just had a look at my local test center and they have a test available on the 15th of Jan do you think that's too early?

I went to Grammar school and have studied two Hnd's ( just to give you an idea of my english language )
Wow, that's great - it's not too soon! Ask them to send you the practice book, (£10) and spend some evenings practicing the methodology of the test. Your English is fine!
</IMG>
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:54 am
Make it happen!!!!

Go for it!!!!! Just make sure you fully understand the way the questions are to be answered ok, they knock points off for giving a three word answer if they want a two word answer etc. Try to practise the layout of the tests. That's what slows a lot of people down in the time given.
Beth x x
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ok but its still a scam. My occupation is with ACS and should it be more required next year then it might be on the MODL list.
There is always a possibility that ACS may introduce its own English language requirement. Also bear in mind that if English is below the threshold level then in general you get refused no matter how many points you have.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:30 am
Crazy Finn

Kaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really nice

Ok but its still a scam. My occupation is with ACS and should it be more required next year then it might be on the MODL list. Its really nothing to do with the difference between competent and proficient english. Its just about making up points. Take the price of the test out of the equation and it would just be a waste of time.
For us non-native speakers we always have to do the test

Of course it's not good news at this point to you, but look at the bright side of it. Atleast you have the possibility to come up with the points required.

Not all have that e.g. my husband tried 3 times to get the required of writing (he is on the MODL list) not succeeding so we had to change plans and I got to be the primary applicant. Wasted half a year of time and a lot of money :curse::curse: BUT if our dream comes true it was all worth it!

Hopefully you'll get the test day quicly! Here they are also fully booked few months ahead always

Kaitlin
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:38 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Wow, that's great - it's not too soon! Ask them to send you the practice book, (£10) and spend some evenings practicing the methodology of the test. Your English is fine!
</IMG>
I second that, the way the questions are asked has some specifics, few gotchas around true-false-not given questions too, but you'd do fine if you just browse through a prep book.
NJ
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:39 am
Crazy Finn

Kaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really niceKaitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is always a possibility that ACS may introduce its own English language requirement. Also bear in mind that if English is below the threshold level then in general you get refused no matter how many points you have.
True. For my hubby they already have english language requirement in Australian Engineers and that is the very reason why he didn't even send his assessment. Then became the 1st of Sept changes and he couldn't even be the primary applicant anyway since requirement was 6 for all bands :/ (same as engineers).

Luckily I got more points for my english test and after 1st of Sept and we could change the primary applicant getting the required points. Otherwise don't know what we would've done

I wonder why ACS has no language requirement? I suppose they think all IT people can generally speak english OK? *guessing*

If you just knew how many times we've counted the points this past year

Kaitlin
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:45 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaitlin
For us non-native speakers we always have to do the test

Of course it's not good news at this point to you, but look at the bright side of it. Atleast you have the possibility to come up with the points required.

Not all have that e.g. my husband tried 3 times to get the required of writing (he is on the MODL list) not succeeding so we had to change plans and I got to be the primary applicant. Wasted half a year of time and a lot of money :curse::curse: BUT if our dream comes true it was all worth it!

Hopefully you'll get the test day quicly! Here they are also fully booked few months ahead always

Kaitlin
Writing has some tricks - points being deducted if you have less words in your essay, paragraphs, etc. even bad handwriting can cost you. My handwriting is such that even I can not read it , I did my very best and got 7 points there, others being 8.5-9, all with about 1 week prep work.
NJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.