ACS Skills assessment - freelance work

Old Jul 7th 2018, 8:24 am
Just Joined

jc.murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Skills assessment - freelance work

Hello kind people

I am applying for a 189 visa as a software engineer. I need to obtain a positive result and suitability criteria met date from the ACS migration skills assessment.

It seems that I could obtain a suitability criteria met date of July 2014, which will allow me to claim the 5 extra points for 3+ years of skilled employment outside of Australia.

My problem is proving my skilled employment history. I was a self employed freelancer between 2012-2014, but the main client I worked for has gone out of business so I can't get a reference letter on official company letterhead. The owner of the company says he will sign any letter I put in front of him, as we parted on good terms. Is it illegal to use a letterhead from a defunct company?

ACS says:

Freelance experience is when you are a contractor or sole trader. In this circumstance applicants will need to provide statements from clients with details and dates of the work performed. These statements should cover the entirety of the experience claimed and include hours worked. The statements should be on the company letterhead of the business that employed your services.

I think this will push my application from 65 to 70 points. How crucial are the 5 points? Do I really need to make an effort to fight for them or is it a waste of my time since I already have 65?

I found this article that suggests they could be very important https://www.acacia-au.com/skillselec...ve-2017-18.php

Last edited by jc.murray; Jul 7th 2018 at 8:40 am.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 1:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Skills assessment - freelance work

Originally Posted by jc.murray
Hello kind people

I am applying for a 189 visa as a software engineer. I need to obtain a positive result and suitability criteria met date from the ACS migration skills assessment.

It seems that I could obtain a suitability criteria met date of July 2014, which will allow me to claim the 5 extra points for 3+ years of skilled employment outside of Australia.

My problem is proving my skilled employment history. I was a self employed freelancer between 2012-2014, but the main client I worked for has gone out of business so I can't get a reference letter on official company letterhead. The owner of the company says he will sign any letter I put in front of him, as we parted on good terms. Is it illegal to use a letterhead from a defunct company?

ACS says:

I think this will push my application from 65 to 70 points. How crucial are the 5 points? Do I really need to make an effort to fight for them or is it a waste of my time since I already have 65?

I found this article that suggests they could be very important https://www.acacia-au.com/skillselec...ve-2017-18.php
If you check recent invitations, even at 70 points it is unlikely that you will get an invite quickly, so those 5 points will be worth it if you can provide sufficient evidence.

That said, if the company that you worked for went bust, then maybe take advice from a MARA agent about how to present your evidence.and don't use old headed paper.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 2:47 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

A former work colleague can write a statutory declaration (affidavit) confirming your dates of employment and duties. ACS prefer that they were at a supervisory level to you but this is not a 100% requirement. Affidavits from the applicant themselves are not accepted by ACS.

Regards,

Richard
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:42 am
Just Joined

WilliamL is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: ACS Skills assessment - freelance work

Every point counts considering how they've been selecting applicants over the last 6 months.

You could look at getting a statutory declaration from your ex client but you'll have to:

Old Jul 26th 2018, 5:30 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as above.

Regards,
        Richard