British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   ACS Skills Assessment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/acs-skills-assessment-249033/)

fraze1987 Aug 16th 2004 9:50 am

ACS Skills Assessment

We lodged our Independant Skilled Migration application on 12th March 2004 so fall into the pre-1st July nightmare (have heard nothing by the way)! From what I can see these apps have stalled and I'm a bit worried about the validity of my skills assessment now. I passed my ACS(RPL) assessment on 20th Jan 2004 but as its only valid for 12 months is there a risk that it'll run out before the app gets to a case officer?
Thanks in advance

badri Aug 16th 2004 9:55 am

Re: ACS Skills Assessment

Originally Posted by fraze1987
We lodged our Independant Skilled Migration application on 12th March 2004 so fall into the pre-1st July nightmare (have heard nothing by the way)! From what I can see these apps have stalled and I'm a bit worried about the validity of my skills assessment now. I passed my ACS(RPL) assessment on 20th Jan 2004 but as its only valid for 12 months is there a risk that it'll run out before the app gets to a case officer?
Thanks in advance

I don' t think so all that counts is the validity of the ACS at the moment of receipt at DIMIA not after wards.

Cheers
Badri

fraze1987 Aug 16th 2004 10:11 am

Originally Posted by badri
I don' t think so all that counts is the validity of the ACS at the moment of receipt at DIMIA not after wards.

Cheers
Badri

Thanks for that - one less thing to worry about! Now just gotta worry that we've sold the house too early (put it on last week!) :-)

Dmartyos Aug 17th 2004 12:56 pm

Can I ask a question concerning ACS.

Did you have guidelines to go against when writing references. Ie if you are programmer did U have the details that ACS were looking for exactly?

Or did you create a typical reference & send it with the knowledge that ACS would locate you in a certain job type?

Bascially I am lost as to how to base my reference & CV against.

Thanks

fraze1987 Aug 17th 2004 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dmartyos
Can I ask a question concerning ACS.

Did you have guidelines to go against when writing references. Ie if you are programmer did U have the details that ACS were looking for exactly?

Or did you create a typical reference & send it with the knowledge that ACS would locate you in a certain job type?

Bascially I am lost as to how to base my reference & CV against.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean when you say "writing references". As I went the RPL route I had to get references from my employers that covered a minimum of 6 years - they do give details of what the reference must contain in the guidelines. From memory its something like - must be on headed note paper, must have a contact name and number for the person giving the request, must contain your job title and 5 main duties and must contain your annual wage.
You obviously can't write these yourself, they must come from your employer. Is that what you mean?
Fraze

Dmartyos Aug 17th 2004 1:14 pm

Fraze

Thanks, yep this is what I mean. The references which are written by your former companies.

For me personally getting the references are not a problem, my worry is that the reference does not link against my job spec in ACS.

I am looking to apply against System Designer (Business Analyst). I match the edu/experience & can confirm this in the ref, from former managers.

But Where can I find a specific ACS guideline which shows all the ACS & the different job types with specific requirements from them?

Cheers for the help

fraze1987 Aug 17th 2004 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dmartyos
Fraze

Thanks, yep this is what I mean. The references which are written by your former companies.

For me personally getting the references are not a problem, my worry is that the reference does not link against my job spec in ACS.

I am looking to apply against System Designer (Business Analyst). I match the edu/experience & can confirm this in the ref, from former managers.

But Where can I find a specific ACS guideline which shows all the ACS & the different job types with specific requirements from them?

Cheers for the help

I dont think they give much help on the exact guidelines required for any particular ASCO code (at least I never found it when I applied). I think the only info available is the Guidelines PDF avaiable from their website. If you've been doing the job then you should have no problem matching the references/CV to the ASCO code.
Even if your experience doesn't match System Designer, the ACS may assess you against a different ASCO code of their choosing. I've seen some cases like this on timeline (www.austimeline.com)
HTH

Dmartyos Aug 17th 2004 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by fraze1987
I dont think they give much help on the exact guidelines required for any particular ASCO code (at least I never found it when I applied). I think the only info available is the Guidelines PDF avaiable from their website. If you've been doing the job then you should have no problem matching the references/CV to the ASCO code.
Even if your experience doesn't match System Designer, the ACS may assess you against a different ASCO code of their choosing. I've seen some cases like this on timeline (www.austimeline.com)
HTH

Got it cheers, I just didnt know if I was missing something out or not looking in the correct place. So I will have a look at these guidelines & check them against my references. Its looking good enough not to have to go through agency after all.

Good luck