Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Reply

Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:05 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Alnervik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding the way years and degree are counted for skills assessment and would be very grateful for any information on this matter.
I read Skill Assessment Guidelines on ACS website but I am not sure I follow correctly.

I have started working 10/2013 and at the same time have enrolled on university (external studies) which I have finished 2/2017 with bachelor degree with honors.
I've been working for the same employer and on the same occupation and intend on doing so. Both degree and job are highly relevant to nominated occupation.

So the timeline shows that I have been working for 3,5 years, got my diploma and continued working for almost 0,5 year now (and counting)

I am confused since the Guideline states:
'If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 2 years relevant work experience completed within the past 10 years or 4 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever provides the earliest skill date) to meet the suitability criteria'
and:
'If your work experience is completed before the completion date of your qualification, the Skill Level Requirement Met Date will be determined on the earliest date that BOTH the relevant work experience and the qualifications are completed. The past 10 years requirement period for work experience is determined by the 10 years that precede the submission date of your online skills application'
- so does that mean that if I submit my application for example 11/2017 (with >4 years total work experience at this point), would I be able to met the suitability criteria for the nominated occupation? Or I am doomed and can now only be angry at myself for not prolonging the date of graduation for another 0,5 year and therefore having necessary 4 years of Prior Learning Recognition?

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me on that.
I do plan on contacting an agent, but maybe somebody could give me some hints from their experience?

All the best,
Anervik
Alnervik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2017, 3:24 am
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 26,756
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Originally Posted by Alnervik View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding the way years and degree are counted for skills assessment and would be very grateful for any information on this matter.
I read Skill Assessment Guidelines on ACS website but I am not sure I follow correctly.

I have started working 10/2013 and at the same time have enrolled on university (external studies) which I have finished 2/2017 with bachelor degree with honors.
I've been working for the same employer and on the same occupation and intend on doing so. Both degree and job are highly relevant to nominated occupation.

So the timeline shows that I have been working for 3,5 years, got my diploma and continued working for almost 0,5 year now (and counting)

I am confused since the Guideline states:
'If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 2 years relevant work experience completed within the past 10 years or 4 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever provides the earliest skill date) to meet the suitability criteria'
and:
'If your work experience is completed before the completion date of your qualification, the Skill Level Requirement Met Date will be determined on the earliest date that BOTH the relevant work experience and the qualifications are completed. The past 10 years requirement period for work experience is determined by the 10 years that precede the submission date of your online skills application'
- so does that mean that if I submit my application for example 11/2017 (with >4 years total work experience at this point), would I be able to met the suitability criteria for the nominated occupation? Or I am doomed and can now only be angry at myself for not prolonging the date of graduation for another 0,5 year and therefore having necessary 4 years of Prior Learning Recognition?

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me on that.
I do plan on contacting an agent, but maybe somebody could give me some hints from their experience?

All the best,
Anervik
If pre-qualification experience is accepted as being skilled then as soon as you meet the requirements of skills and experience will be the date ACS deem you skilled.

eg - if you need 4 years experience and all experience is deemed skilled, then if you gain the qualification during the 4 years you were working, as soon as you have 4 years experience should be okay. The experience does not need to be all before you graduate.

The issue will be whether or not the experience before you qualified is deemed to be at a suitable skill level. If in doubt, you can always get advice from MARA agent before applying.
old.sparkles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:35 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Alnervik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

@old.sparkles - thank you very much for explaining that to me!
Alnervik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:56 pm
  #4  
 
Richard_Gregan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 613
Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

ACS's requirements cause endless confusion. Actually, when you spend a bit of time to examine them, then things become clear, but they are somewhat convoluted.

The fact that they still require scans of certified copies is irritating for applicants as well.

Regards,

Richard
Richard_Gregan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:52 am
  #5  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan View Post
ACS's requirements cause endless confusion. Actually, when you spend a bit of time to examine them, then things become clear, but they are somewhat convoluted.

The fact that they still require scans of certified copies is irritating for applicants as well.
Hello Richard

Hope you are well.

Indeed - the ACS requirements are quite convoluted, and their requirements can and usually induce "selective perception" on aspiring applicants, from my experience.

Regards
Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:02 am
  #6  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,731
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Originally Posted by ptlabs View Post
Hello Richard

Hope you are well.

Indeed - the ACS requirements are quite convoluted, and their requirements can and usually induce "selective perception" on aspiring applicants, from my experience.

Regards
Peter
Welcome back stranger
Pollyana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:41 am
  #7  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS skill assessment - date/work/graduation confusion

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Welcome back stranger
ptlabs is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement