British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   ACS assessment clarification: Systems analyst (261112) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/acs-assessment-clarification-systems-analyst-261112-a-777263/)

PRK Nov 11th 2012 9:21 am

ACS assessment clarification: Systems analyst (261112)

I am planning to apply under SkillSelect - Independent visa for SOL role "Systems analyst (261112)" and need some help in understanding the ACS skills assessment process.

My Qualifications:
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) - I am not sure if this qualifies as ICT major or minor. I see that only 10-15% subjects are related to ICT directly.
  • MBA (Systems) : A good 50-60% of the electives of this 2 year course are directly related to ICT
  • 2-year diploma from NIIT : This is one of the certifications accepted by ACS. I have the diploma certificate but I have the detailed elective list & transcripts only for the first 2 semesters. For remaining 2 semesters, I have only an overview of the courses & a summarized marksheet. I hope this will be enough to qualify for a proper ICT education?

My Work Experience:
  • 4 years as Systems Analyst with responsibilities that match almost 100% with those required by ACS.
  • 2.5 years as IT project manager - is this considered as a "closely related occupation"?

Now with these details, I am not able to figure whether I will be assessed as "suitable" by ACS. I am not even sure which group I will belong to.

Can someone please guide me on this?

newjersey Nov 11th 2012 3:33 pm

Re: ACS assessment clarification: Systems analyst (261112)

You need to read the immi.gov.au/asri and ACS's assessment criteria to determine if you are eligible or not. You can also hire a migration agent to do this for you.

PRK Nov 11th 2012 5:19 pm

@newjersey
Thanks for your response !! I did go thru all the online information earlier & once again after you mentioned them - but still not able to understand exactly.

It is the "closely related" term that is totally confusing me -
  • Is "Electronics Engineering" or "MBA systems" a closely related qualification to ICT?
  • Is ICT project manager a closely related role to Systems analyst?

I thought I wouldn't need to hire a migration agent just to answer some of these minor questions - most of the application processes are pretty straightforward.

newjersey Nov 12th 2012 4:56 am

Originally Posted by PRK (Post 10377136)
@newjersey
Thanks for your response !! I did go thru all the online information earlier & once again after you mentioned them - but still not able to understand exactly.

It is the "closely related" term that is totally confusing me -
[*]Is "Electronics Engineering" or "MBA systems" a closely related qualification to ICT?

depending on the ICT content of the course, as defined in the ACS assessment criteria that you have read. Do the math, match it to what the ACS say - without having all the details of your education this is not possible to answer correctly.

[*]Is ICT project manager a closely related role to Systems analyst?[/LIST]
I thought I wouldn't need to hire a migration agent just to answer some of these minor questions - most of the application processes are pretty straightforward.
Read the role descriptions, used by DIAC, if most of the job responsibilities match between the two, then they are closely related. Although the proper way is to match your job description to the DIAC's view of that same job description - mind that the title matters little, the assessment is based on the actual tasks you perform for the job.

PRK Jan 24th 2013 8:14 am

@newjersey
thanks (belated) for your response... I did apply for the skills assessment as System Analyst and got a successful assessment on Jan 21. I also submitted the EOI immediately.

Unfortunately, it looks like this occupation will reach its ceiling (or possibly already reached) very soon. Hoping for the best :fingerscrossed: