ACS Assesment queries

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice
Default ACS Assesment queries

Hi

I am from UK and need to get assesed by the ACS. I have looked at the skills and believe it comes out at :-

Age 25 points
English Language 25 points
Computer Professional 60 points
Specific work exp 10 points
Occupation in Demand 15 points

TOTAL 135 points

Questions:
English Language. I am English - lived here all my life, uk passport. I take it thats proficient? I mean I dont have to prove anything do I?

I am being assesed by the ACS - I have a National Diploma in IT and 12 years IT experience. Is RPL a requirment? I dont think it is as its a recognised academic tertiary qualification right?

Anyone confirm this?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ACS Assesment queries

You will only secure 15 points for language unless you do an IELTS exam.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I had a real struggle proving that I could speak english. When I registered as a nurse in Oz, I was advised by the nurse reg board to get a letter from my school to prove I was educated in UK. They said if I produced my O level certificates they would accept that as proof, but I never had them. I got a letter from my old school and it was accepted as prove of english competency.

It really cheesed me off having to prove I could speak english, I was born here, I'm British. But my attitude is just give them what they want to achieve your goal.

The bit that may be relevant to you is that when I lodged my (successful) permanent visa application I used the same evidence and it was accepted without any further questioning. You might need to take the English test (IELTS) if you need the extra points that are gained by doing the test.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with your plans. It was a 15-16 month marathon for us, but worth it now.

Sara
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

I am being assesed by the ACS - I have a National Diploma in IT and 12 years IT experience. Is RPL a requirment? I dont think it is as its a recognised academic tertiary qualification right?

Anyone confirm this? [/QUOTE]

Sorry not too sure about your diploma. I had thought that if you had a diploma that that would qualify you for group B. Hopefully an agent will be along soon for you.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Sara W.

So you did not do an English exam and got 25 points? Like you say I cannot believe I cannot get 25 points for being born, educated and england based for 32 years.

An english exam????!? maybe my English GCSE results will do.?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

This was probably before sept 1st 2007. The rules changed at this stage. One was able to secure 25 points up until last sept

Last edited by Mairead; Jan 31st 2008 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:57 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

IT diploma + 6 years post graduate experience - what I think you need for assessment. ACS is scrupulous in calculating experience, must be full time and you need to specify exact dates of employment. References for the ACS must be very detailed, because experience could easily be pro-rated if your job is not 100% IT related. More is better in other words. Also, to qualify for MODL, you need to show 12 out of last 24 months in the occupation that is listed.

On the points - you need either MODL or IELTS, not both. Having more marks does not help, if you are over the pass mark, you are in, if not - you end up in the waiting "pool" for two years.

NJ
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

From 1 September 2007, the English language threshold for GSM visas increased from Vocational English (minimum score of 5.0 in each of the four components of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS)) to Competent English (minimum score of 6.0 in each of the four components of an IELTS exam).

Applicants who can attain a score of at least 7.0 in all elements of an IELTS test can claim 25 points for Proficient English language ability (as opposed to the previous maximum of 20 points that were available on the basis of English language competency of 6.0 in all elements of an IELTS test or proof of Native English Speaking ability).

Applicants considered by DIAC to be "Native English Speakers" are no longer awarded maximum points for English Language ability. Indeed without undertaking an IELTS test, native English speakers are limited to claiming only 15 points for English language ability.

Applicants who can attain a score of at least 6.0 in all elements of an IELTS test can claim 15 points for Competent English language ability.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stellaman
Sara W.

So you did not do an English exam and got 25 points? Like you say I cannot believe I cannot get 25 points for being born, educated and england based for 32 years.

An english exam????!? maybe my English GCSE results will do.?
I did not get any points. I did not need the points, but even so had to prove english competency.

Sara
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Being English and living in England all your life does not mean you are proficient in English or even an English speaker. The same is true about being a British passport holder - it does not mean you can speak English. The IELTS was introduced as a method of proving English proficiency, something that the previous method of accessment by passport could not and did not do.

However, I am not sure the question of English should be a concern; you have sufficient points without the extra 10 for IELTS.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slackbloke
Being English and living in England all your life does not mean you are proficient in English or even an English speaker. The same is true about being a British passport holder - it does not mean you can speak English. The IELTS was introduced as a method of proving English proficiency, something that the previous method of accessment by passport could not and did not do.

However, I am not sure the question of English should be a concern; you have sufficient points without the extra 10 for IELTS.
I dont think its very proficient in doing this though if you excuse the pun. If your occupation is on demand and you speak 2 words of english you can get your visa without and english exam. There are better ways of finding out if someone is proficient in english or not instead of charging us all 100 pound to sit an exam.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suppose looking at it now - if I get assesed ok from acs then I will have enough points not to do the exam.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose looking at it now - if I get assesed ok from acs then I will have enough points not to do the exam.
Thats if they give you MODL points. Which hopefully you will get.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I dont think its very proficient in doing this though if you excuse the pun. If your occupation is on demand and you speak 2 words of english you can get your visa without and english exam. There are better ways of finding out if someone is proficient in english or not instead of charging us all 100 pound to sit an exam.
No point deploying any logic in these things :-) I guess for most people the IELTS is just a way of getting extra points if you are short. A necessary evil (the rule changes last year meant I was 5 points short so had to take it).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just remember that you have to request the MODL points from the ACS. Dont assume that they will automatically be given to you. A cover letter with your application should suffice.