Wikiposts

Acs

Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

jonathanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Acs

Does anyone have any idea what ACS consider "Network Security" as this is a very broad field and they dont define it more. They also say that to be considered they wont look at qualifacations (eg they wont take Cisco cert into account) but a years experience in the specified field.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Acs

Hi Jonathan
Cisco offers CCSP certification (Cisco Certified Security Professional) which is entirely based on its pruducts (PIX,SECUR .... ), yet as far as I know the ACS's criteria would be met by presenting CISSP ( certified information systems security professionals) by ISC, which consits of knowledge base and theories rather than practical and brand topics like CCSP.

Nonetheless, the agents would provide you with a clear definition of this, if the ACS has any!

Good luck,

Originally Posted by jonathanb
Does anyone have any idea what ACS consider "Network Security" as this is a very broad field and they dont define it more. They also say that to be considered they wont look at qualifacations (eg they wont take Cisco cert into account) but a years experience in the specified field.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:20 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acs

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi Jonathan
Cisco offers CCSP certification (Cisco Certified Security Professional) which is entirely based on its pruducts (PIX,SECUR .... ), yet as far as I know the ACS's criteria would be met by presenting CISSP ( certified information systems security professionals) by ISC, which consits of knowledge base and theories rather than practical and brand topics like CCSP.

Nonetheless, the agents would provide you with a clear definition of this, if the ACS has any!

Good luck,
Hi Barbi,

You need a year of employment in the field in addition to all the other requirements if you're going to be accepted by ACS for MODL. CCSP might be evidence of a knowledge base but not evidence of the relevant employment.

As to what "network security" means, you should be taking your cues from the CBOK, which is relatively detailed and certainly describes various relevant aspects of networking and security work - use common sense from that starting point.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Great,Thank you George!

Full of details and a double signed msg
So at last they published terms and conditions of using security to tae advantage of MODL. Unfortunately it was too late to help us

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Barbi,

You need a year of employment in the field in addition to all the other requirements if you're going to be accepted by ACS for MODL. CCSP might be evidence of a knowledge base but not evidence of the relevant employment.

As to what "network security" means, you should be taking your cues from the CBOK, which is relatively detailed and certainly describes various relevant aspects of networking and security work - use common sense from that starting point.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Acs

Hi George

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. The CBOK is more general security which fits in more with my role so maybe now I can go from 110 points to 125.

Now to get cracking on my RPL reports. With no degree but 15 yrs relevant experience of which 5 have involved a lot of network security including the legal side of it I should be able to get it.

Cheers
Joanthan
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

gotnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonathanb
Hi George

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. The CBOK is more general security which fits in more with my role so maybe now I can go from 110 points to 125.

Now to get cracking on my RPL reports. With no degree but 15 yrs relevant experience of which 5 have involved a lot of network security including the legal side of it I should be able to get it.

Cheers
Joanthan

Hey Jonathan,

I have about 9 yrs various experience in IT (of which they ignored the first 3 due to minimal evidence from me). I wrote a mammouth application to ACS... not that I am recommending you do that! But they replied with in about 5 weeks, no questions and a positive result. So, if you have a specific expertise I reckon you ought to be well in. I would say the key is to be fastidious with your application, even if you can't get detailed references from employers, get the proof of employment reference and get some ex-colleagues to help you out, I've no doubt that aided my case.

Best of luck.

Rich
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotnoidea
Hey Jonathan,

I have about 9 yrs various experience in IT (of which they ignored the first 3 due to minimal evidence from me). I wrote a mammouth application to ACS... not that I am recommending you do that! But they replied with in about 5 weeks, no questions and a positive result. So, if you have a specific expertise I reckon you ought to be well in. I would say the key is to be fastidious with your application, even if you can't get detailed references from employers, get the proof of employment reference and get some ex-colleagues to help you out, I've no doubt that aided my case.

Best of luck.

Rich
Did you have a degree Rich?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Jonathan,

Best of luck.

Rich
Hi Rich

Thanks for that. It is very encouraging to know. IMost of the companies I have worked for in the last 15 yrs (all IT) have closed down or been mreged but I still have all the employment contracts, increase letters etc and the last 10 have been spent with the same company so I reckon I should be fine. My position name has also just changed to reflect a role that will be more in line with the security so I am starting the reports now.

Regards
Jonathan
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:13 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Hey Jonathan,

Best of luck.

Rich
Rich,

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions! I'm waiting on an RPP, and mine was received by the ACS on the 22nd Nov, but I've not any any questions for more info, nor have I had the result!

Can you give an idea on how much you wrote? And also what your qualifications were? I'm hoping for a C result (no degree), but lots of expeirence. The fact that you have recieved yours, and I have not received mine has made me really nervous!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Originally Posted by adriang
Rich,

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions! I'm waiting on an RPP, and mine was received by the ACS on the 22nd Nov, but I've not any any questions for more info, nor have I had the result!

Can you give an idea on how much you wrote? And also what your qualifications were? I'm hoping for a C result (no degree), but lots of expeirence. The fact that you have recieved yours, and I have not received mine has made me really nervous!
Hi Adrian

I see from timeline that your ACS is "with assessor" on the 5th January.
Mine went to "with assessor" today, so i'm about a week behind you, so I guess they are moving and progressing. I'll be following your timeline closely
to see when you get your result, as hopefully mine will be a week later !

best regards

Neil
Old Jan 14th 2006, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

gotnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've had a few questions there... I'll try to answer them here.

Yes I do have a degree in Management, can't remember the rules about degrees - don't think they make much difference do they? I certainly did not provide a testamur.

I got a group B classification with an ASCO code of 2231-15 (Software Designer?), don't really care what it is, as long as I have it!

I wrote a hell of a lot. I wrote between 1000 and 2000 words depending on experience for each section, apart from the first section to do with low level chip architecture.

I have about 10 years experience, but they ignored the first 2.5 years and marked it not-assessable as I only provided a proof of employment letter and I have to say I could not remember too much detail about the job, nor was it at all related to what I do now so I should not have been surprised.

Another experience I thought I would share - got to filling out the main visa application, you have to provide proof of relevant employment for 4 years to get your 10 points. Despite the fact you may have sent this to the ACS as part of the RPL, the DIMIA want this again. So get double copies of all references, or employ someone like George and he'll get you through all these pitfalls!!

Rich
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've had a few questions there... I'll try to answer them here.

Yes I do have a degree in Management, can't remember the rules about degrees - don't think they make much difference do they? I certainly did not provide a testamur.

I got a group B classification with an ASCO code of 2231-15 (Software Designer?), don't really care what it is, as long as I have it!

I wrote a hell of a lot. I wrote between 1000 and 2000 words depending on experience for each section, apart from the first section to do with low level chip architecture.

I have about 10 years experience, but they ignored the first 2.5 years and marked it not-assessable as I only provided a proof of employment letter and I have to say I could not remember too much detail about the job, nor was it at all related to what I do now so I should not have been surprised.

Another experience I thought I would share - got to filling out the main visa application, you have to provide proof of relevant employment for 4 years to get your 10 points. Despite the fact you may have sent this to the ACS as part of the RPL, the DIMIA want this again. So get double copies of all references, or employ someone like George and he'll get you through all these pitfalls!!

Rich

Thank you Rich.

Cheers

Buzzy