Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Accountants: no @7 in ielts, no visa; what about other professions..

Accountants: no @7 in ielts, no visa; what about other professions..

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

BuckarooBanzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountants: no @7 in ielts, no visa; what about other professions..

Originally Posted by Alucard
I think a band score of 8 should be required for every occupation.
Bullshit!

cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: Accountants: no @7 in ielts, no visa; what about other professions..

And it is not only accountants who need to show a 7.0 in IELTS. I myself already needed it for my skills assessment. I would not get a positive skills assessment without a 7.0 in IELTS - and without skills assessment no visa!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

z3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nice

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai
Hi,

you could also have written the following: Dear future applicants for state sponsorship please do not apply for the visa if you do not can bring at least 25.000 A$ with you. No matter how serious the shortage for your occupation, no matter how proficient you are in the English language - the most important thing is that you have money to bring into the country ( for example to buy a big car or cutlery made from silver or expensive golf equipment, just the most important things you need to survive the first time in Australia).

cheers

Some water mines off the coast of chrismas island for the asylum seekers as a welcoming gift.
And probably a rifle as well. To shoot down some kangaroos.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

asifrupani will become famous soon enough

I think a band score of 8 should be required for every occupation.
Why not 9?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

z3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nice

Originally Posted by asifrupani
Why not 9?
Yea if it was a 9, he can go buy his own island and live on it.
Why don't u get Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to migrate to Australia as well?

I'm sure they can score a band 9 anyway.

He's probably delirious for not watching his alucard anime

Last edited by z3phron; Apr 22nd 2010 at 6:12 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ozzieland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I haven't won or lost anything. I am English, have 9 on IELTS and have 18 years experience as an accountant. You have utterly missed my point.

My point is that rather than trying to make it harder for accountants by trying to argue that accountants need a better standard of English than people in other occupations, which is nonsense ... it would make much more sense to say an accountant should be an accountant, i.e. be a member of an accountancy body and thus by definition have at least 3 years experience.
I entirely agree with you... All occupations should require IELTS 7 and not just a few. If you wish to work in an English speaking country, you should be able to achieve at least 7 in IELTS... and that goes for all occupations. Just knowing your job is not always good enough as sometimes understanding / explaining from / to others is as important. I come from a non English speaking country and I know the hardships one can face 'on the job' when someone does not know English... English is the language spoken in the workplace.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

JoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really nice

@ BermudaShorts

Hi Bermuda I went through all your posts in this thread, and I totally understand and agree with what you are saying all along. I am glad that there is somebody who understands this situation just as I do....and glad that common sense hasn't totally died. As far as the people who dont agree with you, I can understand your frustration, I have been there too. Some people just dont get it !

Refreshing to see people like you on this forum ! - Keep up the good work !
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

JoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really nice

Originally Posted by azakir
Dear Accountants:

If you have less than 7 in ielts please do not apply for PR. If you do, you have to wait for a very long time. And no state sponsorship will be given.

Even the assessment bodies (ICAA, CPA and NIA) are agreed that accountants should have 7 in each band in ielts.
JAB - letter to Minister Evans on Skills Migration 03/03/2010
“As per our letter to you on 8 February 2010, we have now agreed that in addition to meeting the academic requirements, all applicants must demonstrate that they have achieved an IELTS of 7.0. All agreed changes will be effective from 1 July 2010.”

(For more see: http--www.nia.com.au-publications-pdf-A00019821.pdf)

Moreover, if someone having MPA from Australia without @7 in ielts (the so called study route to PR) will have to wait for ages. Even in future after July 2010, without @7 in ielts, application for PR may not be accepted by DIAC.

Why is this imposing on Accountants only? What about other professions?
The only reason given by DIAC repeatedly for higher score in ielts that those accountants have to communicate effectively.

I think accountants are superfluous there.

If not then why DIAC is accepting @6 for others professions like, engineers, doctors etc. Do they not require communicating to other persons?
Dear, I could not find the exact document, perhaps you could attach the exact URL instead of just describing it........Actually I am going to call Institute of Chartered Accoutant soon to confirm this, will let you guys know about it.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai
Hi,

you could also have written the following: Dear future applicants for state sponsorship please do not apply for the visa if you do not can bring at least 25.000 A$ with you. No matter how serious the shortage for your occupation, no matter how proficient you are in the English language - the most important thing is that you have money to bring into the country ( for example to buy a big car or cutlery made from silver or expensive golf equipment, just the most important things you need to survive the first time in Australia).

cheers
I think you are seriously deluded if you think $25000 AUD will buy you a big car or cutlery made from silver or expensive golf equipment. Jobs are not falling from the sky here, so for the state to expect you to bring enough money to survive on is not unrealistic.

The cost of living in Australia is high, so most migrants need some start up funds behind them. If you do not bring sufficient funds with you how do you intend to come up with the deposit for your rental property? Buy furniture for said property? Enrol your children in school? Buy a cheap car to get to work? Feed yourself until you find a job? There are many stories of very qualified people coming to Australia who have not found it easy at all to find work and have had to survive on their savings. With no social services available for the first 2 years how do you plan to support yourself if you don't have money behind you?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Just spoke to the Institute of Chartered Accountants and they are not aware of anything about IELTS 7 (or any IELTS) being part of Assesment of Accountants for migration purposes. So I request the OP to substantiate his claims in the original post, please provide with exact URL and not just a publication number, as I could not access the publication you referred to on NIA database.

Cheers.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeBlogsOfOz
Just spoke to the Institute of Chartered Accountants and they are not aware of anything about IELTS 7 (or any IELTS) being part of Assesment of Accountants for migration purposes. So I request the OP to substantiate his claims in the original post, please provide with exact URL and not just a publication number, as I could not access the publication you referred to on NIA database.

Cheers.
I just tried the URL and it worked. Please look at this,

http://www.nia.com.au/publications/pdf/A00019821.pdf
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by msabiransari
I just tried the URL and it worked. Please look at this,

http://www.nia.com.au/publications/pdf/A00019821.pdf
Just spoke to ICAA (institute of chartered accountnats) and they insist they do NOT look at IELTS as a part of your assessment. So I guess what they are saying in this document is that Immigration, as part of their process, should also require of applicants to have 7 in IELTS.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Alucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really nice

Originally Posted by z3phron
Yea if it was a 9, he can go buy his own island and live on it.
Why don't u get Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to migrate to Australia as well?

I'm sure they can score a band 9 anyway.

He's probably delirious for not watching his alucard anime
Ironic coming someone who knows enough about anime and play video games.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Ironic coming someone who knows enough about anime and play video games.

The same would apply for someone who should be residing back in Transylvania
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBlogsOfOz
Just spoke to ICAA (institute of chartered accountnats) and they insist they do NOT look at IELTS as a part of your assessment. So I guess what they are saying in this document is that Immigration, as part of their process, should also require of applicants to have 7 in IELTS.

Any ideas?
Looks clear enough to me. They (the skills assessors) don't look at IELTS at present - but they will from 1 July. Likelihood is that whoever you spoke to is not yet aware of the forthcoming changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.