Absolute newbie looking for advice

Old May 7th 2022, 8:31 am
Just Joined

EncantoDaisies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Absolute newbie looking for advice

Hi all,

my husband and I have been talking about moving to Australia once I’ve finished my studies. I’m currently in my second year of a degree and will be doing a registered nurse mental health masters so should be fully qualified in four years. In this time my husband is also going to learn a trade ( he can’t do a degree) such as either plumbing or something like that (something that’s currently on the essential list).

we’ll be 32 and 34 by the time we’re looking to move, we’ll have two children with us and from our house sale and savings (assuming nothing major changes) we should be able to move with £100,000.

and really I wanted to ask is any of this realistic, would we have a chance with moving? I don’t want to think and plan for this four years and really it’s not possible if that makes sense.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 8th 2022, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice

Australia changes the rules so regularly it is impossible to say how things will be 4 years away.
Old May 8th 2022, 10:25 am
Just Joined

EncantoDaisies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
Australia changes the rules so regularly it is impossible to say how things will be 4 years away.
Apologies, I didn’t realise! Thank you for letting me know. Guess I’ll have to wait and see.
Old May 8th 2022, 11:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EncantoDaisies
Apologies, I didn’t realise! Thank you for letting me know. Guess I’ll have to wait and see.
It is a wait and see, but as long as you are both studying towards jobs you want to do, you will be in a good place regardless of migration plans. In 4 years time, you will both be different people and may decide Australia is not for you.

Good luck with the studies
Old Jun 11th 2022, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Muckshifter22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there
Australia is a fantastic country,people are friendly,climate is great.
You will both get jobs no problem at all,if your hubby can get a trade thats eveb better,tradesmen have no problem at all getting work in Australia.
the biggest issue is the cost of living there,which has accelerated in recent decades
We have lived in Perth and Brisbane, and there both brilliant, but houses are really expensive.
If your willing to live inland in a more rural setting away from the suburbs you will have a greater chance of success on your budget.
NSW and Queensland both have some lovely inland rural towns.
WA also
Best thing is go for a holiday, see what you would really want and see if it is affordable for you both.then plan from there
like i said Australia is fantastic, but expensive.
Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2022, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with Old Sparkles, as long as you are training to do jobs that you really want to do not just because they may be a stepping stone to a visa then you should be OK and if it works then you win but if it doesnt you've got new careers that you will love. Remember that it is going to cost you around $40 - 50k just to get here, what with visas, fares, sending your stuff, getting yourself set up, bonds, insurances, new vehicles, trade licences, AHPRA reg etc etc and they reckon you should budget for being out of work for 6 months (and if it is less than that then, again, you win). I know £100k sounds a lot of money but it isn't really, not when housing is so expensive and you dont say whether you have the "getting settled" cash on top of the 100k but, if not, it will take a fairly hefty chunk out of it. As has been said, you definitely get more bang for your buck the further out of the big cities you go and pretty much every state has some rural or remote towns that are quite nice - the further you go from the sea, the cheaper they get! Good luck with it!
Old Jun 16th 2022, 11:16 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muckshifter22
Best thing is go for a holiday, see what you would really want and see if it is affordable for you both
I always think these visits are a bit of a waste of time, unless you have the spare cash.
Old Aug 9th 2022, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Lawrenceb is an unknown quantity at this point

As above good luck. There's never a good time or enough money. We moved 14 years ago I was 44 with a 1 year old, after 18 months had another son it has been hard BUT so much fun and has been the best thing we ever did. Keep your options open and a wide open eye, think every thing through but you will have to second guess a lot,
Old Aug 31st 2022, 10:56 am
Just Joined

LJD22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a little question on this one; I'm currently researching to move over myself, and I'm also currently studying a degree. Do you not need to have a little post-qualification experience (3/5 years) to qualify for a skilled Visa? I've been reading a lot at the moment and I'm noticing this being mentioned a lot? I could be wrong, but its something that's baffling me!
Old Aug 31st 2022, 11:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJD22
Just a little question on this one; I'm currently researching to move over myself, and I'm also currently studying a degree. Do you not need to have a little post-qualification experience (3/5 years) to qualify for a skilled Visa? I've been reading a lot at the moment and I'm noticing this being mentioned a lot? I could be wrong, but its something that's baffling me!
A lot of assessments for skilled occupations require a mix of qualification and experience, although there are a few that can be met with qualification alone,

That said, most will require the experience to meet the points test.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 11:10 am
Just Joined

LJD22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
A lot of assessments for skilled occupations require a mix of qualification and experience, although there are a few that can be met with qualification alone,

That said, most will require the experience to meet the points test.

Ah! Thank you!