885 or 175 ?

Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

hemalk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 885 or 175 ?

Hi Guys, I am on 457 and planning to go for PR, can I apply for 885 (while in Australia?) or I am required to apply for 175 ? thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:32 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 885 or 175 ?

Originally Posted by hemalk2
Hi Guys, I am on 457 and planning to go for PR, can I apply for 885 (while in Australia?) or I am required to apply for 175 ? thanks.
The 885 is only for people who have finished a minimum of two years study in Australia towards an appropriate Aus qualification. You must have been on a student visa in the last 6 months.

I expect if you are on a 457 then the 175 is for you.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

hemalk2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
The 885 is only for people who have finished a minimum of two years study in Australia towards an appropriate Aus qualification. You must have been on a student visa in the last 6 months.

I expect if you are on a 457 then the 175 is for you.
Hi tking, thanks for reply. but the immi.gov site says following about 885.
"A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two (2) years study and for holders of certain temporary visas with skills in demand in Australia."

Please read last sentence, does it mean I can apply for 885 ?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:01 pm

adeel.zafar is an unknown quantity at this point

"A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two (2) years study and for holders of certain temporary visas with skills in demand in Australia."

No you cannot...

You are just reading heading of 885 visa category on IMMI website. If you open the actual link, you will find all the details of what this temp visa means....

You have all immi website at your disposal, with the eligibility criteria for both 885 and 175.. please have a look and decide where you fit...

cheers..
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Did you just stop reading after the one sentence (in red)?

If you had continued to read the next couple of sentences it tells you exactly which of the temporary visa holders are eligible.

Tking has already answered your question perfectly, you are not eligible for the 885 visa.