804 aged parent visa

Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:19 am
Just Joined

BenAspen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 804 aged parent visa

Hi

Hope someone can help, we arrived on a 457 nearly 5 years go, got employer nominated pr after 18 months and are now citizens and loving every minute of our new lives.

My parents came out for 3 months for the first 2 years, at the 3rd visit they decided to stay and after consultation with a migration agent applied onshore for the 804 aged parent visa, they were given a bridging visa and told it would take 18 years for the visa to be approved .... At 67 and 68 they were ok with that.

They have been here just over 2 years and have just had letters from immigration asking for police clearance and medicals, this is to assess whether the application can be placed in the queue to wait for final processing ...... For 15 years ? Has anyone heard of this before ? I would have thought a bit premature .... Although we do know someone who only had to wait 7 years.

To be honest neither we nor they expected them to be here in 17 years so medically it wasn't a problem ..... Not sure if it will be right now though so we are all concerned.

Is this the norm ? Any experiences would be appreciated

Many thanks
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 804 aged parent visa

I am not sure whats the question, having a medical or waiting 15 years?

I believe it is normal to have a medical to get a queue date and then they would do another one later nearer grant date.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks. The question was regarding the request for medicals and police check now .... I didn't know they would request the info twice, but it looks like they do, thanks once again
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not sure whats the question, having a medical or waiting 15 years?

I believe it is normal to have a medical to get a queue date and then they would do another one later nearer grant date.

=> Indeed it is. 2 sets of medicals involved, and an obligation to notify DIAC if there is a material change in the medical position of the applicant while the visa application is in progress.

Best regards.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I was just wondering do your parents have any rights on the bridging visa?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Reciprocal medical but that's it, they can't work, not that they would want to though.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, just weighing up options
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenAspen
My parents came out for 3 months for the first 2 years, at the 3rd visit they decided to stay and after consultation with a migration agent applied onshore for the 804 aged parent visa, they were given a bridging visa and told it would take 18 years for the visa to be approved .... At 67 and 68 they were ok with that.
So they are ok with the idea of spending the later years of their lives in a marginally legal status in Australia?

Did you not consider the contributory parent option, which gives them access to permanent residence, citizenship etc.

They have been here just over 2 years and have just had letters from immigration asking for police clearance and medicals, this is to assess whether the application can be placed in the queue to wait for final processing ...... For 15 years ? Has anyone heard of this before ? I would have thought a bit premature .... Although we do know someone who only had to wait 7 years.

To be honest neither we nor they expected them to be here in 17 years so medically it wasn't a problem ..... Not sure if it will be right now though so we are all concerned.
You do medicals to go into the queue, and medicals again to get the visa. If they fail on health grounds later on, the visa is refused. What's the plan then? The option is always there to appeal etc. but I would be concerned about the level of stress this will impose upon a person at a late stage in life, already (by definition) in poor health.