Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

murwullambah will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Hi, if the worst happens and we are unable to gain 5 points could we just do the IELTS and add to current application
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:08 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by murwullambah
Hi, if the worst happens and we are unable to gain 5 points could we just do the IELTS and add to current application
Hi,

In fact the worst has happened - no 5 points for the statutory deposit - so yes you can either a) make a second application using points currently on offer since 1 September or b) try to find some extra points in the current application, in most cases this will just be a NAATI test as a translator/interpreter.

If anyone is completely stymied by the loss of points then they should ask their agent to document this and forward the details to the Migration Institute of Australia - if any lobbying is going to be done for anyone it would be done by the MIA. If not using an agent then a good idea to get an agent to check your application for options.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Snowmate is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am in the same situation, application lodged in July and I would need the 5 points from the investment to reach the pass mark. I think in my case the only option is to improve my IELTS score. I got an overall score of 6.0 last time, and I think could give it another try.

I have already received full ack, passed medicals and have PCCs. Does anyone here know, whether it is OK to make the IELTS again and use the new scores in the old application? I mean can I just let DIAC know my new IELTS number as a change of circumstance or do I have to do a completely new application?

Cheers,

Snowmate
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:20 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowmate
Hello all,

I am in the same situation, application lodged in July and I would need the 5 points from the investment to reach the pass mark. I think in my case the only option is to improve my IELTS score. I got an overall score of 6.0 last time, and I think could give it another try.

I have already received full ack, passed medicals and have PCCs. Does anyone here know, whether it is OK to make the IELTS again and use the new scores in the old application? I mean can I just let DIAC know my new IELTS number as a change of circumstance or do I have to do a completely new application?

Cheers,

Snowmate
I do not think you can mix pre-Sept and post-Sept rules, i.e. in your situation re-sitting the IELTS would not gain you 5 extra points. Read George's post carefully, you can either re-apply under new rules (yes, another 2K to Aussie government) or seek other venues with your current application.
NJ
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:44 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly the State and Territory Governments are awash with cash presently.

Maybe the Federal Government should propose cutting the rate of GST to encourage the State Governments to re-think ... for those who aren't aware GST is collected by the Federal Government and is passed straight on to the State and Territory Governments.

Best regards.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newjersey
I do not think you can mix pre-Sept and post-Sept rules, i.e. in your situation re-sitting the IELTS would not gain you 5 extra points. Read George's post carefully, you can either re-apply under new rules (yes, another 2K to Aussie government) or seek other venues with your current application.
NJ
I am sorry, I was not completely clear about my situation regarding the IELTS. I had an overall score of 6.0, but in some of the components I scored less than 6.0. In others I scored 7.0, which made the total score 6.0, but only gave me 15 points in the points test. Should I have scored at least 6.0 in all of the components, I would have been given 20 points in the points test using the old subclass 136 rules.

I am now planning to take the test again, and I was just wondering, can I use the new test result for my old 136 application?

Cheers,
Snowmate

Last edited by Snowmate; Dec 3rd 2007 at 12:13 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

murwullambah will become famous soon enough

Surely this cannot be right, we have spent thousands of pounds and had months of waiting to be told we cant have the 5 points for investment and will have to submit new application and pay another 2k through no fault of our own. Is there a chance they will waive the bond and maybe ask for evidence of funds available, if we are buying property we are investing in Australia would this help.
Will DIAC contact those affected with advise of what to do, i am now getting desperate with stress and worry
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:02 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Clearly the State and Territory Governments are awash with cash presently.

Maybe the Federal Government should propose cutting the rate of GST to encourage the State Governments to re-think ... for those who aren't aware GST is collected by the Federal Government and is passed straight on to the State and Territory Governments.

Best regards.
Hi Alan

From the email posted by Liana it looks like the states are concerned at being burned by the $27 million from the alleged NAB fraud, the legal status and ownership of these bonds now has to be in question and it is possible that the states will suffer a significant loss (and more importantly from their point of view political embarrasment) in order to sort this situation out. Added to the fact that the scheme discontinued by DIAC in the September changes I'm not sure that a GST break will do it.

Snowmate, if you can get your score up to 6 in each of the 4 IELTS components then you could claim your extra 5 points, this avenue is not availible for native English speakers as they were automatically allocated the 20 points maximum in pre September 2007 applicatins.

The avenue suggested by George (NAATI) is also unlikly to be availible to native English speakers as they are notorioius for not having competent second language skills, so ironically a problem that was created by non English speaking applicants causes a scheme used mainly by native English speakers to be discontinued; there may be two ways around the cancellation of this scheme neither of which are really open to native English speakers. What a mess.

This is shaping up as the first test for the new Minister.

Last edited by ex_exile; Dec 3rd 2007 at 5:33 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ex-Exile,

Could you please confirm, whether I could use the old application which is currently in DIAC and just send in the new IELTS results? In other words, I do not need to start the application process from scratch?

Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by ex_exile

Snowmate, if you can get your score up to 6 in each of the 4 IELTS components then you could claim your extra 5 points, this avenue is not availible for native English speakers as they were automatically allocated the 20 points maximum in pre September 2007 applicatins.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

SteveandGina is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,

Can't believe this is happening, its a total nightmare and i am stressing out big time. I have remortgaged my house and done everything i can to have the money ready for when they ask.

I applied in good faith, agent told me today that the diac would be on rocky ground if they completely remove without offering a solution without having to re-apply, god hope that he is right.

Hoping for a miracle tomorrow.

Regards.

Steve and Gina.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:44 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Yes this is worse than the TRA Pathway D issue since people affected have already made a substantial investment in the procedure. But if the states choose not to participate they can't be forced to do so.

I'm sure that there are many possible ways around this. I have suggested that the government could allow applicants affected by this change to have a fee free GSM application under the new rules; they could also "freeze" the age of people who were going to lose points.

However there is a new minister in place who will be asked to choose an appropriate strategy and today is only his second day in the job so my guess is that if anything happens it won't be until after Christmas. Until then the best you can all do is get your agents to participate in the MIA lobbying strategy, whatever that turns out to be.

I think also that smaller states who didn't participate before might be persuaded to pick up some easy money in this - whereas when there were six states the rate of return was 6% I think we'd all be grateful if Tasmania or the ACT came in, requiring considerable documentation and offering 1-2%. That solution would bypass the Minister effectively.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Last edited by George Lombard; Dec 3rd 2007 at 6:52 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the rough

Hi Steve and Gina

Sorry to hear your story.

The decision of the treasuries was shocking and totally unexpected. The scheme was abused by some corrupt individuals, but why should we pay the price for their actions?

I hope that DIAC will come up with some good solutions for those who are affected by the loss of the investment capital.

Regards.

Originally Posted by SteveandGina
Hi everybody,

Can't believe this is happening, its a total nightmare and i am stressing out big time. I have remortgaged my house and done everything i can to have the money ready for when they ask.

I applied in good faith, agent told me today that the diac would be on rocky ground if they completely remove without offering a solution without having to re-apply, god hope that he is right.

Hoping for a miracle tomorrow.

Regards.

Steve and Gina.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:01 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowmate
Hi Ex-Exile,

Could you please confirm, whether I could use the old application which is currently in DIAC and just send in the new IELTS results? In other words, I do not need to start the application process from scratch?

Thanks for your reply.
I dont think that there is anything to stop you submitting a new IELTS test on your old application as additional information, you should contact you CO (or get you agent to do so) to confirm this though.

SteveandGina

I dont think that is correct, DIAC hasn't removed anything. The problem is that you cannot now fullful the statutary conditions ($100,000 investment) that allow DIAC to give you the 5 extra points, this is because of action by the states not DIAC. I hope that there is some justice for you and that another way can be found for you to lodge your Bond

Last edited by ex_exile; Dec 3rd 2007 at 9:03 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

I've just seen this news this evening. I'm just sitting here trying not to cry.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:28 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend that those who are applying for a subclass 136 visa and who have been intending to make the A$100,000 investment to attain the points pass mark should revisit the list of occupations that can facilitate a State Nomination.

I foresee that the strategy would be to advise the Skilled Processing Centre that you are withdrawing your claim as to bonus points for making the capital investment, and that you wish your subclass 136 application to be assessed as a subclass 137 (applications are made for visa classes, not subclasses, and subclasses 136 and 137 fall within class BN).

I will extract links to the State and Territory Government Wanted Skills Lists and will post them here when I have them all to hand.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.