489 vs. 189 - Job perspectives

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:23 am
Just Joined

gladi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 489 vs. 189 - Job perspectives

Hi,

I am an IT guy. Have 8y+ experience.

I heard from a friend it is hard to find a job with a Provisional regional visa (489) as most employers ask for Permanent Residency one, filtering out other applicants.

I am leaning towards SA provisional visa (due to it being a faster process+extra points, should have 75 points), as have a friend living in Adelaide.

What is the actual practise regarding employers' approach to employees holding provisional visa, or to what extent PR is required in IT labor market.

Any information regarding this topic would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:08 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 489 vs. 189 - Job perspectives

Originally Posted by gladi
Hi,

I heard from a friend it is hard to find a job with a Provisional regional visa (489) as most employers ask for Permanent Residency one, filtering out other applicants.

I am leaning towards SA provisional visa (due to it being a faster process+extra points, should have 75 points), as have a friend living in Adelaide.

What is the actual practise regarding employers' approach to employees holding provisional visa, or to what extent PR is required in IT labor market.

So you'd be intending to take a sponsorship place from someone who actually needs it because it may be a bit quicker? If you are eligible for an independent PR visa, why not do that instead? That way you get the PR instead of provisional residence & someone that really wants (and needs) to live/work in whichever state you choose to get to sponsor you gets to. You also wouldn't be tied down to living in that state for two years & having to work/stay in a regional area for the duration of the visa.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Malikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really nice

Hi,

Well depends on what skill set u have....
Some areas of IT are really hot here......i know many guys who are hired by the tier 1 IT consultancies from overseas.
Even myself manage to secure the job from overseas.....landed in Victoria permanently with job in a tier 1 IT global IT consultancy..
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:41 pm
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

Hi,

In my experience, your visa class doesn't matter. What matters whether you have legal status to work and got right skills for the job (and good spoken English competency is part of it). In provisional regional visa category you may not get as many (high paying) opportunities (in IT industry) as in general residency visa category.

Finally, don't burn your bridges on words of mouth (as you "heard" from a friend). Do your research, see IT job boards (seek.com.au), contact recruiters etc. to get an idea how it all work out.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uzi
In my experience, your visa class doesn't matter. What matters whether you have legal status to work and got right skills for the job (and good spoken English competency is part of it). In provisional regional visa category you may not get as many (high paying) opportunities (in IT industry) as in general residency visa category.

Finally, don't burn your bridges on words of mouth (as you "heard" from a friend). Do your research, see IT job boards (seek.com.au), contact recruiters etc. to get an idea how it all work out.

Good luck.
Thank you.

Actually that is what i am doing right now. I want to obtain background information about the actual practise not on theory or job description surface level.
Currently as i am in situation to decide which visa type to apply for. I got only answers about recruiters telling that they are just dealing with people who have working rights there (for me it means those who already have some type of visa). And they pointing me towards the immigration site to see my visa options ...
Only few jobs mention security clearence, citizenship required.

I am not british so cannot use Working Holiday Visa. The accomodation costs only are comparable to monthly salaries in my country.
So I really cannot afford the luxury: getting a Visa, travelling there and after long months of searching for job realising that in practise recruiters/employers filter people with PR visa requirement even at the first contact.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
So you'd be intending to take a sponsorship place from someone who actually needs it because it may be a bit quicker? If you are eligible for an independent PR visa, why not do that instead? That way you get the PR instead of provisional residence & someone that really wants (and needs) to live/work in whichever state you choose to get to sponsor you gets to. You also wouldn't be tied down to living in that state for two years & having to work/stay in a regional area for the duration of the visa.
I do not really get your point. In the current Visa system you are far not granted a Visa with lets say 65 points.
The Skill Select system may choose the ones with 70+, 75+ or even higher points.
Sponsorship gives you extra points, meaning more chance to obtain a Visa.

Logically the ones accepting the terms of living, working in a given state/territory with regional visa get priority (higher priority group) and obtain higher scroes, giving them advantage over the ones not sponsored in the Skill Select system.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:31 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

I do not really get your point. In the current Visa system you are far not granted a Visa with lets say 65 points.
The Skill Select system may choose the ones with 70+, 75+ or even higher points.

Logically the ones accepting the terms of living, working in a given state/territory with regional visa get priority (higher priority group) and obtain higher scroes, giving them advantage over the ones not sponsored in the Skill Select system.
getting a priority is one thing, it is more important to realize that regional areas do not have an IT market to speak of. Pull the seek.com ads for a few months stretch just to see how many jobs are advertised for regional vs metropolitan areas. You may simply run out of money looking for a job, provided of course you intend to honor your visa conditions in the first place.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:51 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a difficult point to grasp, but I'll endeavour to simplify it. Some people don't have the luxury of being able to apply for an independent visa, and so they need sponsorship. There are only so many state sponsorship places available. If someone that has no need for it because they have enough points & a skill on SOL schedule one, and then they take a sponsorship place just to jump the queue, that is one less place for people that need it. Another point is that people that take the sponsorship when they have no real commitment to the state (again, just because they want to jump the queue), tend to state jump. We've seen so many people on here that have started threads which have said "I've got my SS from X state, but I really want to live/work in Y state - can I just move there instead?", which is extremely unfair to the state that has sponsored the applicant.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
It's not a difficult point to grasp, but I'll endeavour to simplify it. Some people don't have the luxury of being able to apply for an independent visa, and so they need sponsorship. There are only so many state sponsorship places available. If someone that has no need for it because they have enough points & a skill on SOL schedule one, and then they take a sponsorship place just to jump the queue, that is one less place for people that need it. Another point is that people that take the sponsorship when they have no real commitment to the state (again, just because they want to jump the queue), tend to state jump. We've seen so many people on here that have started threads which have said "I've got my SS from X state, but I really want to live/work in Y state - can I just move there instead?", which is extremely unfair to the state that has sponsored the applicant.
Thank, I see now your point and my mistake in the topic title. I wanted to write Visa 190 instead 189. Asked the site to correct it.

However I still do not know how would someone know he has enough points for independent Visa, when you don't know what amount of points other people have in the system.

For example: a 32y old british guy, 8y+ exp, ielts 8, and used 1y working holiday visa for work can have 80 points in independent (185) and 85 in sponsored (190).
I can have just 70 with sponsored (190) so there are a lot more people who can be in front of you in the line as i understand the Skill Select rules.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newjersey
getting a priority is one thing, it is more important to realize that regional areas do not have an IT market to speak of. Pull the seek.com ads for a few months stretch just to see how many jobs are advertised for regional vs metropolitan areas. You may simply run out of money looking for a job, provided of course you intend to honor your visa conditions in the first place.
Yeah that is one part of the risk i am fully aware. I started all he process with job browsing. So can see the ratio among the jobs. SA seems to be best with all state available including Adelaide, which is a big city. Other states restrict you from working in cities where the jobs are.

The other part of risk is i am interested in this thread : about provisional visa, it may be not accepted as the PR one among the few jobs available.
This bug was put in my ears by a friend living in Adelaide, who had hard time finding a job with provisional visa.
Although this happened 3 years ago, that is the reason why i am curious about the current situation.