489 Visa - Which Region?

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

adammac88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 489 Visa - Which Region?

Hi All,

This is my first time posting, I am hoping for some great advice

I am about to begin the process of applying for a 489 Visa which I am confident I will get, however I have been informed today that I will be required to spend 2-3 years working in a regional area on this specific visa.

In an ideal world I would have loved to move straight to Sydney and still would love to end up there, but in the meantime could anyone advise me of some regional areas that would be a good place to spend a couple of years based on the information below?

- Within driving distance to Sydney if possible, if not then perhaps another large city.
- By the coast
- I am 29 and single so would like somewhere not too quiet
- For work I will most likely be looking for a job in a cafe as a barista or cafe manager (I won't be working as an events manager which is the area I am being granted the visa in).

I have the list of regional area postcodes but would love to hear specific advice from any of you who have lived and worked in regional areas previously.

Many thanks,
Adam
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 489 Visa - Which Region?

Originally Posted by adammac88
Hi All,

This is my first time posting, I am hoping for some great advice

I am about to begin the process of applying for a 489 Visa which I am confident I will get, however I have been informed today that I will be required to spend 2-3 years working in a regional area on this specific visa.

In an ideal world I would have loved to move straight to Sydney and still would love to end up there, but in the meantime could anyone advise me of some regional areas that would be a good place to spend a couple of years based on the information below?

- Within driving distance to Sydney if possible, if not then perhaps another large city.
- By the coast
- I am 29 and single so would like somewhere not too quiet
- For work I will most likely be looking for a job in a cafe as a barista or cafe manager (I won't be working as an events manager which is the area I am being granted the visa in).

I have the list of regional area postcodes but would love to hear specific advice from any of you who have lived and worked in regional areas previously.

Many thanks,
Adam
Who sponsored you for the 489? Family or Regional area?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 9:17 am
Just Joined

adammac88 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a Regional 489 for South Australia, though I have been told that I wouldn't be required to stay in South Australia but will have to live and work in a regional area.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Regional 489 for South Australia, though I have been told that I wouldn't be required to stay in South Australia but will have to live and work in a regional area.
If you don't want to live in South Australia, why did you ask them to sponsor you?

They are sponsoring you as they need your skills, and you made a commitment to live and work in the state. Whilst that commitment is not currently legally binding, I don't think, To be able to progress to a permanent visa you will need to show that you have lived and worked in specified regional areas for at least two years and 12 months respectively.. If you don't plan to live in South Australia and meet their criteria, you should inform them of such. Other areas that you can live in are available on the home affairs website - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...ost-codes.aspx

It is very common for visa holders found to have breached conditions of this visa to be deported and / or refused at PR.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:47 am
Just Joined

WilliamL is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide is a nice city and is considered 'regional' and is definitely far from being 'quiet'.

If you want to see the list of areas you have to stay in for 2 years (not 3 as you mentioned earlier), have a look at my attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails 489 Visa - Which Region?-regional.png  

Last edited by WilliamL; Jul 19th 2018 at 3:50 am. Reason: image blurry