MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:20 am
Just Joined

mwrowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

Hi there, i am looking to emigrate on the 189 skill select via the psychologist route. I have just completed a four year undergraduate masters degree (MPsych) back in the UK. This contains a normal BSc with honours & a masters level degree, but gets you around from paying for the final masters year on your own - they call it a 'master of psychology degree'.

Now i know the APA require the equivalent of six years studying psychology for someone to enter. However, i seem to have the same qualifications as someone would after 6 years studying here in australia - just with a different/one title...

Do the APA see my undergraduate masters (MPsych) as the same level as an MSc? If so i means i can successfully apply.

I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process/understands the APA qualifications assessment in more depth than i do could help.

Thankyou!

Last edited by mwrowell; Sep 21st 2017 at 7:30 am.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

Originally Posted by mwrowell
Hi there, i am looking to emigrate on the 189 skill select via the psychologist route. I have just completed a four year undergraduate masters degree (MPsych) back in the UK. This contains a normal BSc with honours & a masters level degree, but gets you around from paying for the final masters year on your own - they call it a 'master of psychology degree'.

Now i know the APA require the equivalent of six years studying psychology for someone to enter. However, i seem to have the same qualifications as someone would after 6 years studying here in australia - just with a different/one title...

Do the APA see my undergraduate masters (MPsych) as the same level as an MSc? If so i means i can successfully apply.

I was wondering if anyone who has been through the process/understands the APA qualifications assessment in more depth than i do could help.

Thankyou!
No. Your 4 years is the same as a normal degree in oz where degrees are 4 years.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:17 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MPsych Graduate Skills Assessment

I didn't go through APA but Vetassess considered my BSc (Hons) [3 years] + MSc [1 year full time] only the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree from Australia.

Having subsequently taught undergraduate courses in my discipline (at a GO8 uni) I strongly disagree - but that might only be in my discipline.

Australia loves a certificate - and are super keen on being fully 'qualified' according to their standards even if the 'standard' is equal or lower than overseas.

I do know psychology is (as it should be) highly regulated (particularly clinical psychology) and they require quite a large time commitment post Masters undergoing supervised practice before being certified.

Best of luck.