British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   476 to working holiday visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/476-working-holiday-visa-757837/)

erukus May 10th 2012 2:51 pm

476 to working holiday visa

I am on a 476 but my degree is not on the skills list. If I finish out this visa and return home to Ireland, can I apply for the working holiday visa? Also is it true that one can claim there tax back at the end of the visa?

mrsgreenstar76 May 10th 2012 3:02 pm

Re: 476 to working holiday visa

Originally Posted by erukus (Post 10052785)
I am on a 476 but my degree is not on the skills list. If I finish out this visa and return home to Ireland, can I apply for the working holiday visa? Also is it true that one can claim there tax back at the end of the visa?

If you've kept your visa conditions & you're eligible for the WHV, I don't see why you couldn't. However, how is it going to help you in the long term? If your skill isn't on the SOL, you'll be in the same situation after (at most) two years. You won't be able to stay with one employer for more than six months, and you'll only get the second year if you do three months specified work. After all that, you would be back at square one, as I doubt if you'll be able to do much work that's connected to your skilled occupation on a WHV. So you'll not have the twelve out of twenty four months work experience requirement for GSM.

erukus May 10th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10052815)
If you've kept your visa conditions & you're eligible for the WHV, I don't see why you couldn't. However, how is it going to help you in the long term? If your skill isn't on the SOL, you'll be in the same situation after (at most) two years. You won't be able to stay with one employer for more than six months, and you'll only get the second year if you do three months specified work. After all that, you would be back at square one, as I doubt if you'll be able to do much work that's connected to your skilled occupation on a WHV. So you'll not have the twelve out of twenty four months work experience requirement for GSM.

Thanks any idea on the tax question?

mrsgreenstar76 May 10th 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by erukus (Post 10052833)
Thanks any idea on the tax question?

I think you can, but I've never looked at it in great detail. I've just had a quick look at the information on the Australian Taxation Office website that may help you.

erukus May 10th 2012 3:26 pm

Would there be any hassle with me going from a 476 to getting sponsored?

mrsgreenstar76 May 10th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by erukus (Post 10052883)
Would there be any hassle with me going from a 476 to getting sponsored?

I can't see why you'd have any hassle, as long as your occupation is on the ENSOL (I assume you're meaning employer sponsored).