Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:04 am
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

We have been in Australia on a 475 for just over a year. In this time we have been researching business opportunities and have finally established our new company. We are both working full time in the business. In a years time we will have fulfilled the residence obligation of 2 years in a regional area, (in our case Adelaide.) At this point we would like to apply for PR.

We have spoken to SA Immi and to agents when we initially applied for the 475 who have all said that being self employed is considered employment for the purposes of meeting the one year employment obligation.

I was wondering if anyone had gone from a 495/475 to PR as business owners? Is it different being the owner of a Pty Ltd Company to being self employed with just an ABN? Is it difficult to prove the hours worked? We have an office and are open business hours and then work many hours on top of that but how do we prove it?

One of us would be willing to get a full time job if it was an easier proposition. However that seems a bit daft.

Just hoping there is someone who has done this.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:01 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 2,887
welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Hi Fly away

As you say, proving that at least one of you has worked for 35 hours plus per week, is the issue. Rather than one of you go outside the business and get a full-time job, it would probably be better if the business became a PTY and then paid a full-time salary to one of you.

Regards

Tony
welshtony is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:11 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by welshtony View Post
Hi Fly away

As you say, proving that at least one of you has worked for 35 hours plus per week, is the issue. Rather than one of you go outside the business and get a full-time job, it would probably be better if the business became a PTY and then paid a full-time salary to one of you.

Regards

Tony
Thanks Tony. We are already a PTY. At the moment we aren't drawing a salary but we intend to do this in the future. Would it be advantageous for one of us to draw a salary immediately?

Thanks again for your help.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:18 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 2,887
welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

To give more specific advice I would need to know the type of business, who puts in what hours doing what etc.. Proof of being paid a full-time salary, on it's own, does not prove full-time work so it is the other evidence that can be provided that will determine whether one of you becoming a formal employee, will give a smoother ride through the permanent visa process.

Regards


Tony
welshtony is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:29 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by welshtony View Post
To give more specific advice I would need to know the type of business, who puts in what hours doing what etc.. Proof of being paid a full-time salary, on it's own, does not prove full-time work so it is the other evidence that can be provided that will determine whether one of you becoming a formal employee, will give a smoother ride through the permanent visa process.

Regards


Tony
Thanks Tony. I will send you a PM.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:39 am
  #6  
Decreased member
 
Carbery's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetary, plot 666
Posts: 1,381
Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
We have been in Australia on a 475 for just over a year. In this time we have been researching business opportunities and have finally established our new company. We are both working full time in the business. In a years time we will have fulfilled the residence obligation of 2 years in a regional area, (in our case Adelaide.) At this point we would like to apply for PR.

We have spoken to SA Immi and to agents when we initially applied for the 475 who have all said that being self employed is considered employment for the purposes of meeting the one year employment obligation.

I was wondering if anyone had gone from a 495/475 to PR as business owners? Is it different being the owner of a Pty Ltd Company to being self employed with just an ABN? Is it difficult to prove the hours worked? We have an office and are open business hours and then work many hours on top of that but how do we prove it?

One of us would be willing to get a full time job if it was an easier proposition. However that seems a bit daft.

Just hoping there is someone who has done this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/27business.htm

As far as I know you have to be a holder of a temp business owner visa to apply for a PR business owner visa.
Carbery is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:53 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Carbery View Post
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/27business.htm

As far as I know you have to be a holder of a temp business owner visa to apply for a PR business owner visa.
Thanks hun but we would be applying for an 883 (don't quote me on the number) which is the route to PR from a 475
Fly Away is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:59 am
  #8  
Decreased member
 
Carbery's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetary, plot 666
Posts: 1,381
Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
Thanks hun but we would be applying for an 883 (don't quote me on the number) which is the route to PR from a 475

No probs!
Carbery is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:07 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Carbery View Post
No probs!
Thanks for trying though xx
Fly Away is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:51 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,090
Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
Thanks hun but we would be applying for an 883 (don't quote me on the number) which is the route to PR from a 475
It's an 887 you will be applying for. Sorry can't help -but if memory serves me right -I'm pretty sure a couple of members of pomsinadelaide have just successfully done this. Theres a guy called soggy who has his own business and just got pr after being on a 475 visa. Hope this helps
Nick11 is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:55 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Nick11 View Post
It's an 887 you will be applying for. Sorry can't help -but if memory serves me right -I'm pretty sure a couple of members of pomsinadelaide have just successfully done this. Theres a guy called soggy who has his own business and just got pr after being on a 475 visa. Hope this helps
Thank you for that information. Yes you're right it's the 887, for some reason I couldn't remember.

I will have a look on there as I am a member.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:40 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Gypsy.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 192
Gypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really niceGypsy. is just really nice
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Hi Flyaway,

Nice to see your thread again after a long time (We use to have fun in BE forum while waiting for the visa)

One of my friend bought a taxi and drove and showed that as his business. DIAC was not insisting for the working hours and rather they were investigating on the transactions with his clients (bills, vouchers etc..) and more IMPORTANTLY .... his tax contribution to the ABN. I understand he was not facing much hassles.

Hope this info helps.

Gypsy. is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:53 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Gypsy. View Post
Hi Flyaway,

Nice to see your thread again after a long time (We use to have fun in BE forum while waiting for the visa)

One of my friend bought a taxi and drove and showed that as his business. DIAC was not insisting for the working hours and rather they were investigating on the transactions with his clients (bills, vouchers etc..) and more IMPORTANTLY .... his tax contribution to the ABN. I understand he was not facing much hassles.

Hope this info helps.

Hi Gypsy!

Thanks for that. Interesting to know, how your friend's application was assessed. We have solved our problem as I now am now in full time employment. I hope that means it will now be a simple application.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:29 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Paul Down Under is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Hello I am very interested in your experience...
I just posted the following thread and would greatly appreciate your advise:
Warm regards
Paul

Visa 475 and Proprietary Limited Company registraion eligibilty
Hello All,
Newcomer here...just been awarded the Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475) but reviewing restrictions.
Cannot seem to find any info about setting up a Proprietary Limited Company.
Has anyone any experience?
Especially regarding self employment in the Proprietary Limited Company that obviously is registered in the regional area. BUT can this company then receive commissions from businesses in the Metropolitan hubs?
Trying to find a way to be able to legally work with clients that are outside the restriction....but not be directly employed by them.
Any tips?
Warmest
P
Paul Down Under is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:04 pm
  #15  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 475 visa to PR - as a business owner. Has anyone done this?

Originally Posted by Paul Down Under View Post
Hello I am very interested in your experience...
I just posted the following thread and would greatly appreciate your advise:
Best to keep discussion on one thread, avoids confusion:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675133
JAJ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.