Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 - What happens if I get the sack in my new job?

457 - What happens if I get the sack in my new job?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

GertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the rough
Default 457 - What happens if I get the sack in my new job?

Hi All, First post here and sorry if it's a bit negative! Basically I am coming over on a 457 to a new company and I am concerned that if it doesn't work out we could part company after only a few months (worst case scenario). So my quesiton is will the Immigration department look on any second 457 application in a different light if my employment was terminated after such a short time in Australia? I realise this would also damage my future job prospects too....Any tips to help allay my fears as this is a big move for the family? thanks
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 - What happens if I get the sack in my new job?

Originally Posted by GertsidetoOZ
Hi All, First post here and sorry if it's a bit negative! Basically I am coming over on a 457 to a new company and I am concerned that if it doesn't work out we could part company after only a few months (worst case scenario). So my quesiton is will the Immigration department look on any second 457 application in a different light if my employment was terminated after such a short time in Australia? I realise this would also damage my future job prospects too....Any tips to help allay my fears as this is a big move for the family? thanks
You can have as many 457's as you can arrange. DIAC don't care. I assume you are aware that if on a 457 in Australia and lose your job that you only have 28 days to arrange another 457 or leave Australia?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it will affect any future visa applications, but you will only have 28 days from cessation of employment to find a new sponsor and job or you will have to pack your bags.

From experience, we were sponsored once (some years ago though so things could have changed) by a large company. Job didn't work out, OH found a new job and resigned after less than 12 months. DIAC did not question the length of employment and issued the new 457 quickly. Then again, it was at the time when you could be unemployed for 3 months before being asked to leave the country. As said above, you now only have 28 days.

Try and negotiate with the employer and have them agree to pay all relocation expenses if employment is terminated before the end of the visa/contract period. If you can have that put in your contract, it at least gives you some peace of mind about the financial implications of having to move at short notice.

Unfortunately, 457 visas come with a lot of negatives that you have to take into account before moving your family to the other side of the world.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

GertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the roughGertsidetoOZ is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much for your replies. I heard somewhere that it may be possible to get a bridging visa for a couple of months if you were between 457's. I am just concerned that my kid's schooling could get impacted if something did go wrong and we only had 28 days to up and leave. tks for feedback.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your replies. I heard somewhere that it may be possible to get a bridging visa for a couple of months if you were between 457's. I am just concerned that my kid's schooling could get impacted if something did go wrong and we only had 28 days to up and leave. tks for feedback.
No, no bridging visa. You will have 28 days to either find another employer willing to sponsor you or get out of Dodge.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: 457 - What happens if I get the sack in my new job?

I better work hard then !
thank you for your feedback.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I better work hard then !
thank you for your feedback.
Yes, and don't upset your sponsoring company - your future life is in THEIR hands.

But it worked for us.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:08 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yes, and don't upset your sponsoring company - your future life is in THEIR hands.

But it worked for us.
I think it works for most. There are a whole host of people on here, myself included, who initially came on 457 visas and who are now PR or Citizens.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think it works for most. There are a whole host of people on here, myself included, who initially came on 457 visas and who are now PR or Citizens.
Yes, great way in - especially for me that was moving inter-company within an international group, so I already knew what I was in for.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, no bridging visa. You will have 28 days to either find another employer willing to sponsor you or get out of Dodge.
Not quite. If you do not notify DIAC then you have 28 days to go. Newspaper articles indicate DIAC are amenable to extending the period as long as they are kept informed. The 28 days is to help prevent people taking up fake sponsorships.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/faq-subclass-457.htm

Last edited by Jamie Smith; Mar 29th 2011 at 1:51 am.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

My OH came over last August on a 457 visa and i followed in October with our two boys. Obviously it was a risk and has no guarantees but we decided it was now or never. OH has been in his job 7 months now and about 3 weeks ago he called me to say he thought he was about to lose his job, with the 28 day rule i suggested he start looking for something else ASAP. To cut a long story short he was inundated with job offers and has found another job and starts the beginning of May!
My only advice would be to you to really make sure that it is a sound company and is right for you. The OH company were basically on their knees before he arrived and due to us seeing a way in didnt even take the time to look into it!
Good luck, i hope it all works out for you. I know its even harder if you have kids as its them your uprooting too.
Emma
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emma75
My OH came over last August on a 457 visa and i followed in October with our two boys. Obviously it was a risk and has no guarantees but we decided it was now or never. OH has been in his job 7 months now and about 3 weeks ago he called me to say he thought he was about to lose his job, with the 28 day rule i suggested he start looking for something else ASAP. To cut a long story short he was inundated with job offers and has found another job and starts the beginning of May!
My only advice would be to you to really make sure that it is a sound company and is right for you. The OH company were basically on their knees before he arrived and due to us seeing a way in didnt even take the time to look into it!
Good luck, i hope it all works out for you. I know its even harder if you have kids as its them your uprooting too.
Emma
Hi Emma - Good advice. Sorry its been a while, see you when we get back from UK - maybe over Easter?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Hi Emma - Good advice. Sorry its been a while, see you when we get back from UK - maybe over Easter?
Have a fab time back in the UK and Spain Roger, Defo sort out an evening on your return, Take care, Emma x
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the replies that has made us feel more certain and excited about the move.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

alexstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emma75
Emma
I had an experience with the place i was working at last. Basically i am currently on a working holiday visa and the company that i was working for has said that they would sponsor me whilst in the interview. Well it came down to the end of my probation and well.....lets say they wernt going to sponsor. They would have had to increase my pay to conform the minimum IT pay requirement and with only 4 people in the company i dont think the company was financially able to do it.

So ive got another job starting on Monday with a few more employees there and they already have ticked the training and wages box. All they need to do is apply to be a sponsor and nominate me for the 457. I am a network administrator so hopefully it should go ok......

Im just gutted that I wasted 4 months at a company that had false promises of sponsorship!!! so deffinatly make sure your happy with the company before committing any time to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.