457 vs PR Visa

Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 vs PR Visa

Hi,

I am confused at the moment. I am due to finish my nurse studies in Jul 11. I know I need min 1 year to apply for PR visa. However, there are hospitals that will sponsor me my agent told me. The problem is on either visa can we visit home for holiday? How much quicker is the process? The pro and cons of each visa. I would be worried taking kids that I lose a job and my visa be invalid?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 vs PR Visa

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi,

I am confused at the moment. I am due to finish my nurse studies in Jul 11. I know I need min 1 year to apply for PR visa.
Perhaps re-start your research from the beginning ... download and read booklet 5 and you will find out that your information is wrong, especially for employer sponsored migrant visas.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The main differences are as follows:

Time. PR requires a proportion of work experience after graduation and can then tak years - there are plenty of people on here who have been waiting over two years. The 457 visa normally doesnt take more than a few months and can be applied for as soon as you graduate. I actually started the process in my final year. It was granted in the April. Handed in my thesis on the wednesday and flew the friday.

Security. PR gives you the right to permanently reside in Australia and is required to later take citezenship. 457 is a temporary visa normally for 4 years. However it does offer routes into permanent residence. but yes, if you lose your job you can be asked to leave Australia 28 days later or find another employer. However, as a nurse, finding another employer shouldnt be an issue

Cost. PR costs thousands of $$$, 457 costs very little to nothing depending on the employer. The route from 457 to PR may also be free (mine is).

You can go back home for holidays as often as you wish on either visa.

There are plenty of people on here who will diss the 457, but few of them have had one. I am on my second because i changed jobs and in the middle of company sponsored PR - which normally takes about 3 months compared to the years of other PR visas.

It depends on how quick you want to be here. You could be here the day after your last exam.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The main differences are as follows:

Time. PR requires a proportion of work experience after graduation and can then tak years
Doesn't always require work experience and doesn't take years. Provided you meet the skill requirements and employer is willing to sponsor.

The most usual problem is employers refusing to sponsor.

Cost. PR costs thousands of $$$, 457 costs very little to nothing depending on the employer. The route from 457 to PR may also be free (mine is).
Wrong. There is no "free" route from 457 to PR and standard visa application charges apply. The fact that an employer may choose to pay doesn't make it "free".
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your help. I want to be out there sooner rather than later, due to my daughter starting secondary school next year.

I finish in September and plan to to take a trip in November 11. I want to see it all for myself, visit schools, hospitals, houses etc. I also would like to visit the expo next year, I just wish I could get this holiday in before. This year's embassy one was September?

The main worry is starting a new job in a new country with different nurse style compared to the UK. I am a little apprahensive to start in September. The graduate programmes do look good. I would love to be moved out there by February 2012. I am starting the planning now to save up money to take with us.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:16 am
Just Joined

cacwns is an unknown quantity at this point

One other thing you need to take into consideration when comparing 457 & PR.
If you have kids then you might, depending on which state you move to, need to pay school fees for your kids when on a 457.
I know New South Wales charges fees for kids attending state schools when on a 457. Queensland doesn't. Don't know about other states. There are no state school fees when on PR - just normals fees for books etc.