British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   457 visa and school fees in Victoria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/457-visa-school-fees-victoria-696886/)

Exod-us Dec 14th 2010 10:04 am

457 visa and school fees in Victoria

Hello

I have only been offered a 457 visa by my employers because they say I can't apply for a permanent visa without working for a year (?!).
I have three school age children who will be 9, 7 and 41/2 when we arrive in Geelong, Victoria. Will I have to pay for school fees for them to attend a public school?
Thanks for your help.

Sherlock Holmes Dec 14th 2010 11:11 am

Re: 457 visa and school fees in Victoria

You will not pay fees in Victoria.

New South Wales and the ACT both charge International Fees for children of 457 Visa holders.

Dorothy Dec 14th 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Exod-us (Post 9039514)
Hello

I have only been offered a 457 visa by my employers because they say I can't apply for a permanent visa without working for a year (?!).

Depending on your occupation and some other factors, they could either be telling you the truth or a pack of crap. Have you looked at www.immi.gov.au for whether you qualify for PR? Or spoken to an agent?

And as Alistair says, you will not pay fees for public schooling in Victoria. Private schools of course are fee paying.

Exod-us Dec 14th 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9039696)
Depending on your occupation and some other factors, they could either be telling you the truth or a pack of crap. Have you looked at www.immi.gov.au for whether you qualify for PR? Or spoken to an agent?

And as Alistair says, you will not pay fees for public schooling in Victoria. Private schools of course are fee paying.

Thank you both. That's a relief!
I think they may be telling me a pack of crap - disappointing because I took the job on the proviso that they could sponsor me for a permanent visa. I will look into it asap.

quoll Dec 14th 2010 7:35 pm

Everyone pays a "voluntary contribution" (or at least they would definitely like you to!) and also budget for all the other incidental money that will come out of your pocket for books, uniforms, excursions, visiting performers, extra lessons, end of year events, charity events etc etc so nowhere is going to be totally free.

Exod-us Dec 14th 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9040342)
Everyone pays a "voluntary contribution" (or at least they would definitely like you to!) and also budget for all the other incidental money that will come out of your pocket for books, uniforms, excursions, visiting performers, extra lessons, end of year events, charity events etc etc so nowhere is going to be totally free.

Sounds much like where we are in Scotland at the moment. As long as the voluntary contribution isn't $10 000 I'm happy!

Dorothy Dec 14th 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Exod-us (Post 9040560)
Sounds much like where we are in Scotland at the moment. As long as the voluntary contribution isn't $10 000 I'm happy!

Depending on how many children and what grades they are in it could add up to a hefty sum. My daughter cost me well over $1000 last year just in books and uniform. Then the "voluntary fees & charges" of $300. That's just one kid in year 11.

Tellyaddict Dec 15th 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9040655)
Depending on how many children and what grades they are in it could add up to a hefty sum. My daughter cost me well over $1000 last year just in books and uniform. Then the "voluntary fees & charges" of $300. That's just one kid in year 11.

My kids are 10 and 7 so probably the same year group as your oldest 2. We have just paid for school books and 'voluntary' contributions and it came in at just over $500 (in total not each). This link is for the uniform shop to give you an idea of prices www.psw.com.au/retail/, although I usually get tracksuit bottoms from Big W, K-mart or Target, not as good quality but a lot cheaper and they only wear them for about 6 months a year! The excursions and incursions are killer, not sure if they are same in every school but they seem to have at least 5 or 6 each per term. To give you an idea of cost, youngest went to the zoo $30, my oldest went on school camp $380 plus hire of ski clothing, puchase of sleeping bag etc., incursions are usually cheaper and cost between $6 and $12. Then of course there are the after school activities such as Junior Band, Keyboard and Drum lessons which work out at $8 each per week.
So although my kids are at public school there is still quite a lot to budget for, I am in no way complaining because their school is excellent but I personally didn't realise how much it would cost when we arrived from the UK and it is something you need to take into consideration when working out your expenditure etc.
Hope this has been some help :)

Exod-us Dec 15th 2010 10:27 am

Ouch! That's really helpful. Thanks so much.