Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 VISA not ready - leaving UK on tourist ??

457 VISA not ready - leaving UK on tourist ??

Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

shaneking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 VISA not ready - leaving UK on tourist ??

Hi there,

We expect our 457 VISA to be completed within the next 3 weeks. However, we (my wife and two children aged 9 and 11) have ETA tourist VISAs and one way tickets to Australia from the UK next week !!
If I make the assumption that the 457 will be approved when I'm actually in Sydney what do I say to the passport control/immigration officer when we arrive at the airport ?
It would sound arrogant/presumptious to say that we are waiting for my 457 so that I can start my IT job. What is the best thing to say in this circumstance ? Technically, could I say I'm visiting for pleasure, and avoid all the hassle ? Afterall, I won't be working until October and ONLY if the 457 is actually approved. I am relocating from UK to Sydney through my employer. Same type of job, same company, different country. My company wanted me to be ready in Australia so that as soon as the 457 is approved I could start work ASAP. I've probably left myself a little exposed !!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 457 VISA not ready - leaving UK on tourist ??

Originally Posted by shaneking
Hi there,

We expect our 457 VISA to be completed within the next 3 weeks. However, we (my wife and two children aged 9 and 11) have ETA tourist VISAs and one way tickets to Australia from the UK next week !!
If I make the assumption that the 457 will be approved when I'm actually in Sydney what do I say to the passport control/immigration officer when we arrive at the airport ?
It would sound arrogant/presumptious to say that we are waiting for my 457 so that I can start my IT job. What is the best thing to say in this circumstance ? Technically, could I say I'm visiting for pleasure, and avoid all the hassle ? Afterall, I won't be working until October and ONLY if the 457 is actually approved. I am relocating from UK to Sydney through my employer. Same type of job, same company, different country. My company wanted me to be ready in Australia so that as soon as the 457 is approved I could start work ASAP. I've probably left myself a little exposed !!
Sorry I can't help you but I remember a post on this a few weeks ago - maybe if you do a search you might find it.

Would they question at Sydney that you've only got a one way ticket on a tourist visa?

Good Luck
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SafetyJohn
Sorry I can't help you but I remember a post on this a few weeks ago - maybe if you do a search you might find it.

Would they question at Sydney that you've only got a one way ticket on a tourist visa?

Good Luck
hey would like to no what u do as im in the same boat.keep us posted
thanks
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Wendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really niceWendy007 is just really nice

Hello there,

I think there are many of us in the same boat but I actually asked this question a few weeks ago and received loads of feedback that said it was not the right thing to do. One person said you need to be out of the country when they issue you the visa and you actually need to enter on the 457 to validate it (makes sense really) otherwise you enter on a tourist visa and never leave which is illlegal. Also I was told that like the others said you may get sent back if you are found out and the one way ticket might give it a way.

Would be interested in outcome as if there is a way around it i will be off.

take care
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

they might get very funny about you going in on a eta when they know that you have applied for 457

personally i would wait
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

My husband has been offered a job and they will be applying for a 457 visa for him and have said if its not ready on time they will apply for a bridging visa so he can start work, I have never heard of this before and do not know if its correct, but if it is, maybe its something you can talk to your employer about.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulainspain
My husband has been offered a job and they will be applying for a 457 visa for him and have said if its not ready on time they will apply for a bridging visa so he can start work, I have never heard of this before and do not know if its correct,
It does not sound correct.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
It does not sound correct.
From what I have read you can only have a bridging visa while in Australia. This is the quote from employer "Bridging Visa(s) may be required in the interim, to enable the full time employment set out in this letter" Odd!
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:49 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine went out 2 weeks before his visa was granted and had an awful lot of trouble at the airport. (tourist with a 1 way ticket will attract attention) it was sorted in the end with some electronically sent bridging visa, I can't remember the ins and outs but I can get hold of him and find out if you like. I myself will be staying here til the visa is granted as I want to make the most of the attention being lavished on us by friends and family at the moment. Honestly you'd have thought we were going to the other side of the world

Cheers

Steve