457 visa and medicare question.

Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

RikoDriko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 visa and medicare question.

Hi,

My (French) wife has just signed an offer with a company, and they are going to sort out a 457 visa for her. Myself and our son will be included on this visa.

Happy days!

I have read that citizens from countries with the reciprocal healthcare agreement can apply for medicare cards for them and their dependants after arriving in OZ.

As i said, my wife is French, on a French passport - and the frenchies are not on the reciprocal agreement. But i have a british passport.

My question is that even though i am not the 'primary' person on my Wifes Visa - will i be able to sort out medicare for everyone after we arrive given that i have a british passport ?

thanks for reading.

Richard.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa and medicare question.

Originally Posted by RikoDriko
My question is that even though i am not the 'primary' person on my Wifes Visa - will i be able to sort out medicare for everyone after we arrive given that i have a british passport ?
You will be able to sort out a medicare card for those eligible.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply... thats good news and one less thing to worry about !
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Which might be none or all of you depending on where you live now? Because entitlement is based on residence not citizenship. health-care-for-visitors-to-australia
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

oh, ok then well i have been in the UK for 12 years (Im south african actually), and my wife has been living in the UK for 7 years..

so if that's the case then we will need to provide proof of address? foe how long ?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

and my wife has been living in the UK for 7 years..
Is your wife intending on applying for British citizenship? Might seem little point due to current EU freedom of movement, but changes can happen (including with the increasing chatter of the relationship between the UK and the EU) so it might be a good idea to seriously consider this. I believe France allows dual citizenship.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Had to smile when i read that. No self respecting french person would EVER try to get citizenship of the country of 'Les Ros Beefs' !! Non Non Non !

Why Would this make a difference ?

If we can prove our address in the UK for the past couple of years (i can prove mine back to 2004 or so), and i have a british passport then surely that would at minimum qualify me to get medicare and consequently medicare for the entire family?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Had to smile when i read that. No self respecting french person would EVER try to get citizenship of the country of 'Les Ros Beefs' !! Non Non Non !

If we can prove our address in the UK for the past couple of years (i can prove mine back to 2004 or so), and i have a british passport then surely that would at minimum qualify me to get medicare and consequently medicare for the entire family?

If I remember correctly we all had to show passports as well when on 457 at medicare office parents and children .The company we were working for also provided full private medical insurance for the duration of the visa.

Last edited by swmbo63; Nov 7th 2012 at 9:38 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't ask the question in relation to current medicare eligibility, I asked in relation to the future and possible changes in law.

If the UK does leave the EU and you wish to return to the UK then your wife may need to go down the normal spouse visa route (the rules for which changed a few months ago). At the moment with freedom of movement it isn't an issue, but if things change then it could quickly become an issue.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Because at the end of the 457 she would want to go back to UK, non? Without citizenship you may find that she many not be able to without you going through the hassle of applying for visas for her to live in UK.

Why wouldn't she want the same citizenship as her spouse and children if she's allowed?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi All... Thanks for the comments ...

Our plan is to move to PR during our stay in OZ... and im not sure that the UK or france will leave the EU ??? impossible to say for sure, but maybe we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

@roaringmouse - were you talking about the rules changing in the UK or the rules changing in Australia ?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All... Thanks for the comments ...

Our plan is to move to PR during our stay in OZ... and im not sure that the UK or france will leave the EU ??? impossible to say for sure, but maybe we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

@roaringmouse - were you talking about the rules changing in the UK or the rules changing in Australia ?
Spouse rules have changed for entering the UK, details in our UK forum here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Would be sensible to get UK citizenship if she can because if she does have to go back there are now a lot more hoops to jump through.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for your reponses. They are all much appreaciated...
Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

As Pollyanna replied, it's the UK spouse visa rules that have changed, and have become a lot stricter than they were before along with no discretion allowed on the part of the ECOs.

I would seriously suggest that your wife applies for UK citizenship, as you and your child are British citizens and you may end up living in the UK again (particularly as the 457 is a temporary visa for Australia which doesn't in itself lead to permanent residency). It makes sense for all to have the same citizenship when the possibility is available and there isn't a reason not to get it (e.g. loss of other citizenship, which isn't the case with either France or the UK).

It doesn't matter about any petty views that a "self respecting French person" may have about getting British citizenship (if what you suggest is how your wife really does think), but it does matter about the very real possibility of the EU structure changing in coming years (e.g. the UK leaving, which is being talked about more and more). This would likely result in the need to follow the "normal" visa route for either the UK or France, which might prove difficult depending on your circumstances. View the obtaining of British citizenship as nothing more than a formality if you wish.

Surely it's much better to sort out the security of British citizenship now than face the possibility of visa troubles in the future? (you never know what the future may bring)
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I was (kind of) joking about the french/english thing. The way you put it it does sound like a sensible idea though...

thanks for spending the time responding.