Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 visa cancelled due to redundancy, found new sponsor, what next?

457 visa cancelled due to redundancy, found new sponsor, what next?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

jofun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 visa cancelled due to redundancy, found new sponsor, what next?

Hi James

We are pretty much in the same boat as you! Moved over from Dubai last February, the job my husband got looked like a sure thing as he had already worked for the boss before in Abu dhabi, anyways things didn't go quite according to plan! A change in management has resulted in him loosing his job, the sales manager showed up at our door to advise him he no longer had a job! He had no warning what so ever...we have looked into unfair dismisals but you don't really have a leg to stand on!

Anyways the thought of having to leave within 28 days is a bit scary, we did not want to do anything that could jeopardize staying in Australia or future applications so we went down to the immigration department in Brisbane, they really couldn't offer much help as they don't handle 457's, the guy at the counter told us that basically the immigration send a letter out advising you that you that the visa is being cancelled and you have to leave the country, he said however that this could take weeks or even months!! So we really have no idea when the letter will come and how many days we will have. Not being completely at ease with this I contacted the Sydney office who then said is was 28days...so really do not know, the lady advised me to fill in a 929 form as our contact details weren't in the system, which we have done...she even noted they had a back log of these forms too! She also gave me an email address and advised writing to them with regards to a possible extension on the time frame, we have send the mail but no response as yet!

As far as I am concerned we have been to immigration, sent them contact details and emailed them so I hope this is enough, other than this I really don't know what to do aside from wait for the letter to come.

The email i sent was to [email protected], you can call the 457 department on 131881 and they can advise you who to contact with regards to the state you are in.

Luckily my husband has found another job but we too have to go through the whole process again and not too sure if the company has sponsored anyone before so we are waiting to find out more on that.

Will keep you posted as to what happens next and whether this letter does show up...would be great to hear how you get on to

Jo

Last edited by jofun; Apr 26th 2009 at 2:35 am.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:42 am
Just Joined

jamrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 visa cancelled due to redundancy, found new sponsor, what next?

Originally Posted by jofun
Hi James

We are pretty much in the same boat as you! Moved over from Dubai last February, the job my husband got looked like a sure thing as he had already worked for the boss before in Abu dhabi, anyways things didn't go quite according to plan! A change in management has resulted in him loosing his job, the sales manager showed up at our door to advise him he no longer had a job! He had no warning what so ever...we have looked into unfair dismisals but you don't really have a leg to stand on!

Anyways the thought of having to leave within 28 days is a bit scary, we did not want to do anything that could jeopardize staying in Australia or future applications so we went down to the immigration department in Brisbane, they really couldn't offer much help as they don't handle 457's, the guy at the counter told us that basically the immigration send a letter out advising you that you that the visa is being cancelled and you have to leave the country, he said however that this could take weeks or even months!! So we really have no idea when the letter will come and how many days we will have. Not being completely at ease with this I contacted the Sydney office who then said is was 28days...so really do not know, the lady advised me to fill in a 929 form as our contact details weren't in the system, which we have done...she even noted they had a back log of these forms too! She also gave me an email address and advised writing to them with regards to a possible extension on the time frame, we have send the mail but no response as yet!

As far as I am concerned we have been to immigration, sent them contact details and emailed them so I hope this is enough, other than this I really don't know what to do aside from wait for the letter to come.

The email i sent was to [email protected], you can call the 457 department on 131881 and they can advise you who to contact with regards to the state you are in.

Luckily my husband has found another job but we too have to go through the whole process again and not too sure if the company has sponsored anyone before so we are waiting to find out more on that.

Will keep you posted as to what happens next and whether this letter does show up...would be great to hear how you get on to

Jo
Hi Jo

Sorry to hear about your predicament! I hope things work out for you and will certainly let you know how my situation develops.

Well I guess everything happens for a reason so it's a case of just looking forward, stayng positive and not worrying about things you cannot change.

Best wishes

Jamie