British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   457 Visa Application - Process Length (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/457-visa-application-process-length-673408/)

ptbrophy Jun 21st 2010 11:30 pm

457 Visa Application - Process Length

Hi All,

I've had a look through the Immigration website but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Can anyone give me an indicative time it took from lodging your application to application approval?

I'll be applying from NZ so time scales may vary a bit from the UK.

Cheers in advance :)

Paul.

RenShen Jun 21st 2010 11:51 pm

Re: 457 Visa Application - Process Length

Think ours only took about 2 weeks but others vary massively.

stevenglish Jun 21st 2010 11:53 pm

Hi, I think ours was only a couple of weeks too, good luck to ya

Dorothy Jun 22nd 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ptbrophy (Post 8647545)
Hi All,

I've had a look through the Immigration website but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Can anyone give me an indicative time it took from lodging your application to application approval?

I'll be applying from NZ so time scales may vary a bit from the UK.

Cheers in advance :)

Paul.

Anywhere from 24 hours to a year or more. It depends on so many factors that it's impossible to say.

stevenglish Jun 22nd 2010 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8647690)
Anywhere from 24 hours to a year or more. It depends on so many factors that it's impossible to say.

it does seem to be the case, not many people seem to have the same experiences. We've had good experinces all 3 times though, so hopefully they're going through a helpful phase

ptbrophy Jun 22nd 2010 4:22 am

We had a reasonably quick turn around time on our NZ applications - and that was a permanent resident application too.

The difficult thing for me is knowing when to apply for jobs. Is now too early knowing that the application could take a week or two, or on the other hand, it may take a year and i'll be in Wellywood 'til then! :confused:

Dorothy Jun 22nd 2010 6:46 am

Originally Posted by ptbrophy (Post 8647814)
We had a reasonably quick turn around time on our NZ applications - and that was a permanent resident application too.

The difficult thing for me is knowing when to apply for jobs. Is now too early knowing that the application could take a week or two, or on the other hand, it may take a year and i'll be in Wellywood 'til then! :confused:

How can you apply for jobs if you have a 457 in the works? The 457 is an employer sponsored visa.

Bermudashorts Jun 22nd 2010 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8647962)
How can you apply for jobs if you have a 457 in the works? The 457 is an employer sponsored visa.

I was wondering that too. :D

OP is it your other half who is getting a 457?

Dreamy Jun 22nd 2010 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8647962)

With their mention of PR, I read it as a comment on the processing times for NZ applications rather than for 457s

We had extremely varied processing times on our two 457 applications (from the UK) - it took months and months and months for the first one (about 6 months from start to finish, but we did have issues with widdle tests on the kids' medicals which delayed them being sent off) and it took approx 4 days for the 2nd application.

ptbrophy Jun 22nd 2010 9:15 am

Sorry folks, I havn't made myself quite clear!

I have yet to apply for any sort of visa for migration to Oz. After doing some research, the subclass 457 visa is the way forward for me.

I understand the process for this application to be (but happy to be corrected):

a) Your potential employer must already be, or apply to be, a sponsor.
b) The employer then nominates the vacant position and person they wish to employ to fill this position.
c) The employee then applies for a visa to work and live in Oz.

So, for me to move to Oz under this type of visa, I would need an offer of employment first, and then proceed through the above steps.