457 Visa Activation

Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

JDAD84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa Activation

Hello....

So i received my offer letter this morning for a job in AUS, the proposed start date is 20th January 2014 - whoop!

However they have submitted the 457 application with their migration agent and it can take 4-8 weeks for it to go through.

My problem is, I really want to get out there maybe the 2nd week in Jan to find somewhere to live etc and get settled. I'm wondering if I head book my flights for this date, can i go on the 457 if it comes through before i fly?

Or if i go over on a tourist visa will i have problems at immigration, and how would I go about activating the 457, would i need to leave and re-enter the country or can i just pop to an office somewhere to activate?

Big decisions, and it's so hard balancing handing in the notice, arranging flights and waiting on the visa..... help!!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa Activation

Well you wouldn't need to leave and renter to activate the 457 as it is not an "offshore" visa. But I wouldn't go over on a tourist visa and mainly because what if the 457 is not granted? It is not a given. I would wait and if you want a week or two to get settled just negotiate it with the employer.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:53 am
Just Joined

JDAD84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 Visa Activation

Hey, so i'm not too concerned about if the visa falls through as we were planning on going on a working holiday visa in March anyway to look for work, it's not that easy when your on the other side of the world, lol.

So when you say the 457 is not an offshore visa, does it not make a difference that when they are submitting the visa application that i was outside of the country?