457 sponsor searching

Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Slider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 sponsor searching

My girlfriend and I have been planning to move out on a 457 visa, sponsored by a Brisbane agency who would employ one or both of us as contractors.

We have a friend who works for this recruitment agency who was pulling strings for us, but this has now all fallen through as the rules changed last year and the agency have found that they cannot now sponsor us

(rule change details are here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/on-hire-industry.htm)

So now we are back to square one - gutted - and now we have to look for alternative sponsorship prospects.

We will not be in a position to take a job seeking holiday this year, so would be confined to searching from here which raises the issue of interviews - i.e why would a company go to all the hard work of sponsoring us without meeting us first?

Is this really a viable proposition?

Has anyone any advice as to how to proceed?

Has anyone on here arranged sponsorship form the UK, and if so how was it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

We are both in IT and very employable.

GF - Software tester/test lead
Me - IT Manager/Lotus Notes/ WINTEL servers.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

yummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 457 sponsor searching

Have you tried Thoughtworks? They will sponsor suitable candidates...

www.thoughtworks.com

Also if you browse seek and other OZ job websites you may find positions that attract sponsorship.

Good luck

Helen
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:36 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default Re: 457 sponsor searching

Originally Posted by Slider
My girlfriend and I have been planning to move out on a 457 visa, sponsored by a Brisbane agency who would employ one or both of us as contractors.

We have a friend who works for this recruitment agency who was pulling strings for us, but this has now all fallen through as the rules changed last year and the agency have found that they cannot now sponsor us

(rule change details are here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/on-hire-industry.htm)

So now we are back to square one - gutted - and now we have to look for alternative sponsorship prospects.

We will not be in a position to take a job seeking holiday this year, so would be confined to searching from here which raises the issue of interviews - i.e why would a company go to all the hard work of sponsoring us without meeting us first?

Is this really a viable proposition?

Has anyone any advice as to how to proceed?

Has anyone on here arranged sponsorship form the UK, and if so how was it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

We are both in IT and very employable.

GF - Software tester/test lead
Me - IT Manager/Lotus Notes/ WINTEL servers.
Hi, sorry to hear about your previous position,

We put my husbands resume onto lots of jobsites in Au

www.seek.com.au

www.careerone.com.au

to name but 2

also we went throught the au yellow pages and sent his resume to companies
even though they werent advertising, and hey presto we had an E-mail back from a company willing to sponsor hubby, we had specified that we were looking for sponsorship when we sent hubbys resume , so they knew what we was looking for to start, my husband had 1 telephone interview which lasted all of 15 minutes, but they said they had all ready decided they wanted hubby on board before the interview as they were very impressed by his resume ( we had this proffesionally done for migration purposes).
we are now with an agent appointed by the in house migration dept of the company , and the ball is starting to roll , all we need to do is sell the house

so in answer to your question yes it is possible to get a sponsor without even stepping foot in australia.

kind regards
michell

p.s we started sending hubbys resume out in mid feb so it hasnt been that long a wait for us.