Wikiposts

457 question

Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light
Question 457 question

hello all. i am new to this so please bare with me. my husband has been offered a job in oz and the potential employer has said he will sponsor us for 457 visa. the questions i have are endless but i'll just ask one for now. will my husband have to do TRA for this type of visa? thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:18 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 question

Originally Posted by The Bevs
hello all. i am new to this so please bare with me. my husband has been offered a job in oz and the potential employer has said he will sponsor us for 457 visa. the questions i have are endless but i'll just ask one for now. will my husband have to do TRA for this type of visa? thanks in advance.
Hi the Bevs,

It's possible your husband would need to do his TRA is his trade is one requiring licensing - the employer should know about that - or if aspects of his paperwork or the employer's paperwork are so dodgy that the case officer exercises his or her right to insist on a TRA assessment. However in 95% of cases there's no need to worry about TRA until doing your PR. Of course, you might decide to get your TRA out of the way now while still in contact with former employers, etc. It might be a real drag to try to do that while in Australia on your 457 visas.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Oct 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi the Bevs,

It's possible your husband would need to do his TRA is his trade is one requiring licensing - the employer should know about that - or if aspects of his paperwork or the employer's paperwork are so dodgy that the case officer exercises his or her right to insist on a TRA assessment. However in 95% of cases there's no need to worry about TRA until doing your PR.
George
And after 2 years on a 457 you can now go for PR with ENS without needing a skill assessment.

Although that relies on the employer being able and willing to sponsor - in many cases, the employer is ineligible to sponsor (eg poor training record for Australians), or worse still, refuses to. Agents in Australia regularly see 457 visa holders in a complete mess.

The original posters need to be very aware of the risks and costs involved with a 457 visa if they are uprooting from the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
George
And after 2 years on a 457 you can now go for PR with ENS without needing a skill assessment.

Although that relies on the employer being able and willing to sponsor - in many cases, the employer is ineligible to sponsor (eg poor training record for Australians), or worse still, refuses to. Agents in Australia regularly see 457 visa holders in a complete mess.

The original posters need to be very aware of the risks and costs involved with a 457 visa if they are uprooting from the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324062

Jeremy
thanks for your replies, my husband is a CNC machinist/programmer and doesn't need licensing. as for the potential employer we have done quite a bit of research on them and they have a great record and have won awards for their apprenticeship training in oz. I guess he now needs to get some assurance of assistance with PR from the company involved. Thanks again Sue
Old Oct 9th 2005, 4:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess he now needs to get some assurance of assistance with PR from the company involved. Thanks again Sue

It's not just a question of 'assistance' from the company involved. Unless he does his TRA assessment he probably won't even be able to *think* about PR for at least 2 years.

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:00 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your replies, my husband is a CNC machinist/programmer and doesn't need licensing. as for the potential employer we have done quite a bit of research on them and they have a great record and have won awards for their apprenticeship training in oz. I guess he now needs to get some assurance of assistance with PR from the company involved. Thanks again Sue

Hi Sue,

OK, as your husband will probably only get an assessment in a 40 point occupation that does limit your choices for migration and the decision on doing TRA can be postponed if he's happy to wait out the two years as Jeremy says - although if it's a significant employer I'm sure they've got a policy about employer nomination, and you ought to ask about that now.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Oct 9th 2005, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Sue,

OK, as your husband will probably only get an assessment in a 40 point occupation that does limit your choices for migration and the decision on doing TRA can be postponed if he's happy to wait out the two years as Jeremy says - although if it's a significant employer I'm sure they've got a policy about employer nomination, and you ought to ask about that now.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hello again, we have been doing a bit of searching and my husband fits the requirements to be classed as a metal machinist[first class] but i assume this depends on TRA assessment., this gives him a 60 point occupation,anyway, the question i have is, does TRA have an expiry after the pass date? May sound like a silly question but wouldn't want to go through the process for it to expire before we apply for PR. Sue
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Hello again, we have been doing a bit of searching and my husband fits the requirements to be classed as a metal machinist[first class] but i assume this depends on TRA assessment., this gives him a 60 point occupation,anyway, the question i have is, does TRA have an expiry after the pass date? May sound like a silly question but wouldn't want to go through the process for it to expire before we apply for PR. Sue

TRA skill assessments do not expire. If you are planning to apply for PR through ENS, then get some professional advice as the job title may need to match the skill assessment.

Jeremy