British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   457 -> PR how long does the process take ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/457-pr-how-long-does-process-take-775142/)

Stu Ward Oct 19th 2012 8:12 am

457 -> PR how long does the process take ?

Hi

So we are going for PR after 4 years on a 457.
We have just initiated the process with an immigration agent ( through work) and I was wondering what people's experience was in regards to the timescales involved.
Is the process quicker because we are already here and have been for some time ?

Are the acceptance criteria the same ?

As I arrived on a 457 I did not have to go through the skills assessment thing. Pretty sure I'm ok, but I'm not 100%

I have almost 20 years work experience I'm my industry (Foundry) and a senior M&T manager. Have qualifications up to HNC, completed back when I were a lad !!

Guess I'm getting a bit twitchy after settling in here so well, now committed and worried about getting the rug pulled from under us !!!

Thanks

Stuart.

Bermudashorts Oct 19th 2012 8:27 am

Re: 457 -> PR how long does the process take ?

There are various PR visas, which one are you going for? Difficult to comment on any of your questions without knowing that. Well other than I don't think being on a 457 already will make any difference to processing times.

Stu Ward Oct 19th 2012 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10339769)
There are various PR visas, which one are you going for? Difficult to comment on any of your questions without knowing that. Well other than I don't think being on a 457 already will make any difference to processing times.

I have absolutely no idea.
Work are sorting it out with Fragomen.
I should be speaking to Fragomen next week. Maybe they will give me options ?

Stu

Bermudashorts Oct 19th 2012 10:03 am

There are two permanent employer sponsored visas. If you are going for the ENS then your time on the 457 (assuming it was same employer?) would mean no skills assessment. Other than that, it won't affect the processing or application. The other permanent visa is the RSMS, people are reporting that this visa is taking quite a long time at the moment.

Stu Ward Oct 19th 2012 10:22 am

Thanks Bermuda.
I just checked back through emails and it is indeed ENS

Stu

paddyo Oct 20th 2012 1:01 pm

HI Stu, I have recently gone through this. Same as you mate with a ENS and also my company used Fragomen.
It was all pretty straightforward, had to get medicals for adults and kids (kids under 12 don't need chest x-ray). Police checks from both Federal and UK.
I started mine on June 1st, lodged it 'incomplete' on June 30 (I was over 50 and the rules changed on 1 July this year so bit of pressure there) and then waited. We got our PR on September 6th....6 weeks from Lodgement!!!! That was even while waiting for my daughter in UK to get her medical and xray which didn't happen until Aug 17th!!.

Stu Ward Oct 21st 2012 7:42 am

Thanks paddy.
More cheat X-rays ? We did those for 457. If I have TB now I've picked it up in aus !!!

paddyo Oct 21st 2012 10:42 am

I know....but I did inquire as to why we had to re-provide all our docs and medicals etc when I had only re-done my 457 a couple of years ago and the response was that PR and 457 are handled by different departments and do not share information.
Apart from laughing at the sheer nonsense of doubling up effort on both sides but then realised that they do this ALL the time in Australia, it also re-enforced my frustrations at how incompetent bureaucracy is here in Australia.

mentos Oct 31st 2012 11:13 am

May I know the full name for this visa "ENS" and "RSMS"?

Edited to add: Is ENS visa 186 http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-186/

Thanks

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10339904)
There are two permanent employer sponsored visas. If you are going for the ENS then your time on the 457 (assuming it was same employer?) would mean no skills assessment. Other than that, it won't affect the processing or application. The other permanent visa is the RSMS, people are reporting that this visa is taking quite a long time at the moment.

spandian Oct 31st 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Mentos

The ENS is the Subclass 186 and the RSMS is the Subclass 187.

paddyo Oct 31st 2012 10:57 pm

ENS = Employer Nomination Scheme
RSMS = Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

mentos Nov 3rd 2012 1:56 pm

Thank you!

For a family on visa 457, if they want to try apply Perm PR after 3 months they arrive in Australia with business sponsored, which Perm Visa should apply via? (Dont wish to wait for 2 years)

Has anyone applied Perm PR visa way before their 2 years wait? Which visa and outcome positive?

Thank you for help!

mentos Nov 3rd 2012 1:57 pm

Ops I think the Quick Reply on iPhone may have a bug loading the message. I click the submit button once but there are three replies posted. Sorry!

Bermudashorts Nov 3rd 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mentos (Post 10364760)
Thank you!

For a family on visa 457, if they want to try apply Perm PR after 3 months they arrive in Australia with business sponsored, which Perm Visa should apply via? (Dont wish to wait for 2 years)

Has anyone applied Perm PR visa way before their 2 years wait? Which visa and outcome positive?

Thank you for help!

There is no "2 year wait". Like many people, I had PR before I set foot in Australia.

There is the ENS visa (186) or the skilled migration visas (189 or 190).

paddyo Nov 3rd 2012 10:36 pm

Hold on.....there is some confusion here and I'm not sure if its a language issue. At present, if you are sponsored here on a 457 Business Visa then you are a Temporary Resident for the period of that Visa. If you wish to then go for a ENS Permanent Visa, with the same company, then you may do so in the same circumstances but you do have to wait 2 years first. However, there is nothing stopping you applying for a PR in your own right.