Wikiposts

457 to PR

Old May 1st 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default 457 to PR

hello,

we have just received our 457 visa, valid for 4 years...yippee...

i am lead to believe that you can apply for PR after 2 years of the 457 visa if you so wish..which is very much our intention..i am just wondering though if anyone else has gone through this route of getting PR and how long did it take..

if say we didnt apply for PR until 3.5 years into our 457 visa (a 4 year visa) would it be enough time to get PR within the remaining half year of our 457...if not..what would happen? would we have to leave and apply from outside oz??

the reason i ask is that my sponsor has agreed as part of my contract out there to help me claim something called a LAFHA (Living away from home allowance)..this means that whilst i am on the 457 visa i can get tax relief on (apparently) just about all my living expenses ...ie rent,food,kids creches etc...but all this stops when i get my PR status...so i want to stay on the 457 as long as possible..

anyone else been through this??

thanks
Old May 1st 2008, 7:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 to PR

You do not have to wait 2 years to apply for PR.

You can apply at any time if you meet the criteria.

A 457 visa does not guarantee PR no matter how long you are on it.

I do not know where this notion has come from

G
Old May 1st 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
hello,

i am lead to believe that you can apply for PR after 2 years of the 457 visa if you so wish..which is very much our intention..i am just wondering though if anyone else has gone through this route of getting PR and how long did it take..

thanks
Hi,

457 is a temp long stay business visa (working visa), it has nothing to do or have any pathway to a PR at all. You can renew it at the end of the 4 years with another 457 but it doesn't give you any pathway to a PR visa.

You can apply for a PR anytime you want as long as you satisfy the criteria/points test. Look at 175 independent skilled migration or if your employer is willing to sponsor you the 857 regional migration scheme visa or the ENS visa. There are alot more other PR visas, have a look at the immigration.gov.au website.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by looky
Hi,

457 is a temp long stay business visa (working visa), it has nothing to do or have any pathway to a PR at all. You can renew it at the end of the 4 years with another 457 but it doesn't give you any pathway to a PR visa.

You can apply for a PR anytime you want as long as you satisfy the criteria/points test. Look at 175 independent skilled migration or if your employer is willing to sponsor you the 857 regional migration scheme visa or the ENS visa. There are alot more other PR visas, have a look at the immigration.gov.au website.
This is quite interesting as i am looking at a 457 and have been told that its easier to get PR if you are actually in Oz.... i can't see how as surely its the same process?
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
This is quite interesting as i am looking at a 457 and have been told that its easier to get PR if you are actually in Oz.... i can't see how as surely its the same process?
It can be easier in some circumstances after 2 years on a 457 visa. But it's never automatic. And many people are eligible for PR immediately (if employer will sponsor).

All explained in migration booklet 5.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It can be easier in some circumstances after 2 years on a 457 visa. But it's never automatic. And many people are eligible for PR immediately (if employer will sponsor).

All explained in migration booklet 5.
Thanks JAJ.... I figured as much. So for me having to go through the ACS RPL process for PR, it will be the same regardless of how I initially enter the country.

better get on with it then
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:39 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
hello,

if say we didnt apply for PR until 3.5 years into our 457 visa (a 4 year visa) would it be enough time to get PR within the remaining half year of our 457...if not..what would happen? would we have to leave and apply from outside oz??

the reason i ask is that my sponsor has agreed as part of my contract out there to help me claim something called a LAFHA (Living away from home allowance)..this means that whilst i am on the 457 visa i can get tax relief on (apparently) just about all my living expenses ...ie rent,food,kids creches etc...but all this stops when i get my PR status...so i want to stay on the 457 as long as possible..

anyone else been through this??

thanks
LAFHA only covers food (a set $ amount depending on number of people in family) and your "reasonable" rent. Not childcare or anything else.