457 to Permenant Residency

Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Hugh 387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 to Permenant Residency

Hey everyone I'm looking for help with something.

I am a nurse working in Queensland on a 457 visa. I have been working in QLD for 2.5 years and have 1.5 years left on my 457 visa.
I would like to stay in Australia and therefore would like to apply for Permanent Residency. However I would like to move interstate and not involve my employer in the PR application process, is this possible whilst still living in Australia? Thanks Hugh.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 to Permenant Residency

You do not apply for "permanent residency" per se, if you want to stay permanently you need to identify and apply for a specific visa that suits your needs. In your case as you don't want to involve your employer, then you need to look into either applying for a 175 visa, which is the independent skilled migrant visa or perhaps the ENS visa if you can find another employer to sponsor you. You should note that if you apply for an offshore visa like the 175 then you will not get a bridging visa so you would have to stay on the 457 working for the current employer until the 175 is granted.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 20th 2010 at 8:17 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:54 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You do not apply for "permanent residency" per se, if you want to stay permanently you need to identify and apply for a specific visa that suits your needs. In your case as you don't want to involve your employer, then you need to look into either applying for a 175 visa, which is the independent skilled migrant visa or perhaps the ENS visa if you can find another employer to sponsor you. You should note that if you apply for an offshore visa like the 175 then you will not get a bridging visa so you would have to stay on the 457 working for the current employer until the 175 is granted.
And you will have to be out of the country when the visa is granted. Same for a 176 which is lower pass mark but which requires state or relative sponsorship.

You should try the visa wizard on www.immi.gov.au to give you a better idea of what is available to you. Then maybe seek some professional advice before you do anything - the onshore ENS might actually be the best option for you and I believe there is no tie to the employer once granted. (unlike RSMS which is 2 years)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Hugh 387 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thank you both for the advice, it's very usefull. I've been on the website and found I do have enough points for the 175 visa. If I go for that one, can I stay in the country working (on my 457) whilst they process the application? If so how do I make sure I am out of the country when it is granted?! Also on average how long does it take for the 175 visa's to be granted?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hugh 387
Hi, thank you both for the advice, it's very usefull. I've been on the website and found I do have enough points for the 175 visa. If I go for that one, can I stay in the country working (on my 457) whilst they process the application? If so how do I make sure I am out of the country when it is granted?! Also on average how long does it take for the 175 visa's to be granted?
DIAC will advise you when they are ready to grant the visa and ask when you intend to leave Aus, and where you are going to go to in order to get the visa granted (many people just go to NZ for a few days).