457.....How long???

Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about
Default 457.....How long???

Hey All,

I am sure this has been asked many a time before but.......how long should the 457 process take? My employers completed the app for the first part about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to be patient but can't wait to get out of dodge and head for the hills...well beach but you know what I mean
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all
Default Re: 457.....How long???

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
Hey All,

I am sure this has been asked many a time before but.......how long should the 457 process take? My employers completed the app for the first part about 3 weeks ago. I am trying to be patient but can't wait to get out of dodge and head for the hills...well beach but you know what I mean
Yep, a very common question and the response is usually that no one can tell you how long your particular application will take.

My oh's company received confirmation from DIAC that their sponsorship app' had been received on 23 June, notification of approval on 15 July, so 3 weeks for that section. We're still waiting on a decision for the nomination as they've asked for further info.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Yep, a very common question and the response is usually that no one can tell you how long your particular application will take.

My oh's company received confirmation from DIAC that their sponsorship app' had been received on 23 June, notification of approval on 15 July, so 3 weeks for that section. We're still waiting on a decision for the nomination as they've asked for further info.
Ok, thanks for the info. I will just relax about it and wait but our lifes are in limbo just now waiting. I guess it will take as long as it takes.

Good luck with your app......
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Ok, thanks for the info. I will just relax about it and wait but our lifes are in limbo just now waiting. I guess it will take as long as it takes.

cheers, yeh the waiting is hard. We're in limbo too, currently in Oz on 2nd WHVs so if this app fails we have to leave in the next couple of months, we've got jobs, a rental, a car etc. nightmare!

Good luck
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

My 457 application was lodged 9th July, the employers nomination was granted on 9th July also. Apparently, (new soon to be, hopefully) employer checked with DIAC on Monday and they siad it could be up to 2 months, however our migration agent has said her experience of these recently has been about 3 weeks.
We're really itching to know so that we can get flights etc booked - hoping to start work on 30th September!
Let us know when you hear, good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

The AA is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also been waiting for the last three weeks. No news yet.

Last edited by The AA; Jul 29th 2010 at 8:37 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Limbo? Because you have been waiting 3 weeks?

Come on, did you think it was going to be turned around in a morning.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Having been on a 457 for 2 years before getting permanent, just thought I'd let you know that 3 weeks waiting for decision is nothing compared to 2 years on a visa where you may have to leave country at short notice if job doesn't work out. Your life is always in limbo on a 457 visa, unless you are not looking to make it a permanent move.
Been there, done it, it's crap and needs very careful consideration.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Limbo? Because you have been waiting 3 weeks?

Come on, did you think it was going to be turned around in a morning.
Yip I know 3 weeks in itself is nothing. Not living in la la land I have been going back and forward with the company for the last 3 months. It has taken them ages to work out what to do as they have never sponsored before. So the reason I was asking is I have now been waiting for 3 months in total and hoping that it does not take another 6 for the visa. Prob should have explained that in the first post (my bad ).

Anyhoo since this post I have decided to pretend it is not happening until I get some news. Just get on with normal life Ignorance is bliss
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Anyhoo since this post I have decided to pretend it is not happening until I get some news. Just get on with normal life Ignorance is bliss
That is a good attitude, I have honestly never heard of a 457 taking up to 9 months so
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Finally after five long weeks of waiting since the nomination was approved, 457 visas have been approved today. Will be flying to Melbourne soon.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Congrats!!! Great news!!

How long did it take for your company to do the first two parts of the process? It has been about a month in my case since they applied to be sponsers and they have still not heard yet.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

I took about three weeks for the nomination to be approved. My company already had approval for sponsorship.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Your life is always in limbo on a 457 visa, unless you are not looking to make it a permanent move.
Been there, done it, it's crap and needs very careful consideration.
I understand not everyone is a fan of 457's but for others it's a good option, with successful outcomes. Often the sponsored temp choice is stumbled upon as a last solution to achieve a goal of moving to Australia.

From our experience we would rather have come with a sponsored visa and guarantee of work than be independant "skilled" but not employed.

Each to their own - I'm sure OP is aware of the requirements of 457 and all it brings with it.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jothefw
I understand not everyone is a fan of 457's but for others it's a good option, with successful outcomes. Often the sponsored temp choice is stumbled upon as a last solution to achieve a goal of moving to Australia.

From our experience we would rather have come with a sponsored visa and guarantee of work than be independant "skilled" but not employed.

Each to their own - I'm sure OP is aware of the requirements of 457 and all it brings with it.
I agree. We've got a 175 visa application in (husband is the primary applicant) so we were prepared for a long wait. However on a recent trip to Perth, I was offered a job with a 457 visa, have grabbed it with both hands. It means our dream of being home is Oz is happening so much faster than anticipated, so that does have it's own issues, but never-the-less it's brilliant. With our 175 application already in place we hope to get PR within 2 years. This way at least one of us has a job from the word go, which is really important. In fact I'm starting work the same week we arrive in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.