457-Health Insurance

Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice
Default Re: 457-Health Insurance

We are here on a 457. Medicare told us we weren't eligible for Medicare because we were from NZ/UK. However, she did say that as soon as I apply for PR we can claim Medicare. Note the 'apply' not granted etc but simply apply.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billy_NoMates
We are here on a 457. Medicare told us we weren't eligible for Medicare because we were from NZ/UK.
What is meant by this? What is your nationality and where were you living last?

However, she did say that as soon as I apply for PR we can claim Medicare. Note the 'apply' not granted etc but simply apply.
That is correct.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
What is meant by this? What is your nationality and where were you living last?
We are UK citizens but having lived in NZ for the last 8 years we are classed as being from NZ. They said we cannot receive Medicare being from NZ but do have reciprocal health cover as we're UK citizens. I think we can have hospitalisation cover but we have to pay for doctor/dentist visits.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We are UK citizens but having lived in NZ for the last 8 years we are classed as being from NZ. They said we cannot receive Medicare being from NZ but do have reciprocal health cover as we're UK citizens. I think we can have hospitalisation cover but we have to pay for doctor/dentist visits.
Did you not obtain New Zealand citizenship?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you not obtain New Zealand citizenship?
Ummmm, no. If we had we wouldn't have needed a 457! Didn't really cross our minds until we decided to come to Aus. Typical.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:05 am
JAJ
Retired

Ummmm, no. If we had we wouldn't have needed a 457! Didn't really cross our minds until we decided to come to Aus. Typical.
Not only that, you'd be entitled to full Medicare. Still, it's too late now.

Reciprocal medicare is based on residence, not citizenship, so they are correct to treat you under the terms of the NZ agreement, which is quite restrictive.

NZ citizens living in Australia don't need to use the reciprocal scheme.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Still, it's too late now.
Company have offered ENS next Oct so hopefully not too many dramas between now and then. We are used to paying for medical visits having come from NZ, so it's not 'too' bad.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:36 am
mrt
Forum Regular

mrt will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Unfortunately the job contract given to my wife specifically states that a private health plan+ repatriation has to be taken out or else the contract is void
The goods news is that I will be paying weekly and can stop as soon as the PR is granted.

cheers

mrt

Originally Posted by comet555
I found the link that had a better quote of the entitlement to Medicare.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Healthcare_in_Australia

In the link it states:
As a general rule, you are entitled to Medicare if you are resident in Australia and you are:

-an Australian citizen; or
-an Australian permanent resident; or
-a New Zealand citizen; or
-if you hold a temporary visa and:
that visa carries the right to work in Australia; and
you have applied for a permanent visa
(other than a parent visa)

So it does appear that if you come over on a temp visa and already have your application in for PR then you'd be entitled to Medicare. I hope that helps. Looks like you might have found a way around private health care!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

I found the link that had a better quote of the entitlement to Medicare.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Healthcare_in_Australia

In the link it states:
As a general rule, you are entitled to Medicare if you are resident in Australia and you are:

-an Australian citizen; or
-an Australian permanent resident; or
-a New Zealand citizen; or
-if you hold a temporary visa and:
that visa carries the right to work in Australia; and
you have applied for a permanent visa
(other than a parent visa)

So it does appear that if you come over on a temp visa and already have your application in for PR then you'd be entitled to Medicare. I hope that helps. Looks like you might have found a way around private health care!

I am on a 457 and the country where I came from does not have a reciprocal health arrangement with Australia. I was under the impression that I do not qualify for medicare even on a temp visa with the right to work (457). I was told that I was not eligible by medicare when I was on subclass 300 which is a provisional visa with the right to work.

I am on private health insurance and applied for the medicare exemption certificate and got it for the last financial year. Although, it seems the exemption certificate doesn't actually do anything as I do not have to pay medicare levy since I am on private health.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by looky
I am on a 457 and the country where I came from does not have a reciprocal health arrangement with Australia. I was under the impression that I do not qualify for medicare even on a temp visa with the right to work (457).
Yes, that is correct. If you are on a 457 and do not have reciprocal health care then you cannot get medicare. I'm Canadian so if I was on a temp visa I wouldn't get Medicare either (but came on PR so no problem).

Originally Posted by looky
I was told that I was not eligible by medicare when I was on subclass 300 which is a provisional visa with the right to work.
The subclass 300 visa you mentioned seems to be a prospective marriage visa. From the quote I gave before you need to be on a 457 and apply for a permanent visa to be eligible for medicare. I have no idea if the 300 visa is classed as permanent or not. I did see this however:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part.../300/index.htm

The important part copied from that link:
What does the visa let me do?

With this visa, you:
  • must enter Australia before you marry your fiance(é)
  • may leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa ceases (nine (9) months after visa grant)
  • can work in Australia
  • can apply for a Spouse visa in Australia after you marry your fiance(é)
  • can study, but you will not have access to government funding
  • may use Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Spouse visa.
So to me, it sounds as though you could only access medicare if you've applied for the spouse visa. It doesn't seem to matter if you apply for a temp spouse visa or a permanent. If you look at the chart on this page it specifically mentions medicare entitelements.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...-801/index.htm

Hope that helps. You may have to print out some of those web pages to bring to the Medicare office. Not all the employees will know much about the visas, so you might have to bring the proof with you to explain it to them and have them check with superiors.

Last edited by comet555; Sep 23rd 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrt
I've just checked medibank private their quoting over $4200 for basic insurance for a couple

I guess I will have to dig deep in my pocket to live the OZ dream

cheers

mrt
we only pay $2600 and thats for basic cover and added extras - covers the bases - medicare covers everything else - the added extras are cheaper if you add them on to the policy than if you buy them included in the policy - hope you understand that -

we are covered for 2 adults and 2 kids and this is medibank
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:47 am
mrt
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
we only pay $2600 and thats for basic cover and added extras - covers the bases - medicare covers everything else - the added extras are cheaper if you add them on to the policy than if you buy them included in the policy - hope you understand that -

we are covered for 2 adults and 2 kids and this is medibank
I just filled out the info for a qoute specifying that its for an "overseas worker" and the qoute came back at over $ 4000. Are you on a 457?

thanks

mrt

Last edited by mrt; Sep 23rd 2008 at 5:49 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:48 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mrt
and the qoute came back at over $ 40000.
I assume that's a typo!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:13 am
mrt
Forum Regular

I assume that's a typo!
lol yes....If that was the case I would probably be staying put.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrt
I just filled out the info for a qoute specifying that its for an "overseas worker" and the qoute came back at over $ 4000. Are you on a 457?

thanks

mrt
yep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.