Wikiposts
View Poll Results: How long did it take for you to get your visa?
1 month
22.22%
2 months
0%
3 months
33.33%
4 months
33.33%
5 months
11.11%
6 months
0%
> 6 months
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

457 Employer sponsored work visa

Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Ria_Wild is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 457 Employer sponsored work visa

I have signed contracts, have a start date & they are sorting out the visa. The guy in HR is so bloody vague - I have no idea what's going on. I wish he could just talk me though the process.

Everyone tells me the visa process takes ages. 3 months is usually the minimum listed - but I am meant to have started then! If I don't have the visa - how am I mean to give notice on the flat & buy tickets? If I do it & there is a delay - then what?

They haven't even asked for any documentation. So I started to collect them myself. Just the police report takes up to 40 days. If they would come and ask for it in 3 months - then there would be a further delay. I find it odd they haven't asked me or even told me what documents I need.

If you have been though this (leaving England) - I would be very grateful if you could talk me though the steps you went though in the visa process where it has been the employeer (or their agent) that sort it all out)!

Please help me to figure out what's going on!

Thank you!

Last edited by Ria_Wild; Jul 28th 2007 at 3:14 am. Reason: Adding more info.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Default 457 Employer sponsored work visa

If you don't fancy answering the question - perhaps answer the poll please?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice
Default Re: 457 Employer sponsored work visa

Still waiting, so cannot answer your poll yet. But yes, it does take a LONG LONG LONG time, even for an employer-sponsored 457 business visa in a job that they have deemed to be in an "Area of Need". I no longer have ANY sympathy for Ozzies saying that they have skills shortages or such like because they have willingly put up barriers to overseas people coming over to fill that need. I got my job offer and contract in March, with a start date of 17 September. I have jumped through all the hoops such as getting documents certified and paying thousands in fees and medicals. But still waiting to hear if they will give me a visa!

You are not alone, so hang in there!

My advice would be to be PROACTIVE and do not trust your agent or wait for them to tell you what you should do. Search this forum and any other source of information you can and take matters into your own hand, if this is something YOU want to happen. You will have to make it happen yourself.

Last edited by ashwood; Jul 29th 2007 at 9:55 am.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ria_Wild
If you don't fancy answering the question - perhaps answer the poll please?
Hi

We came over on a 457 last year, the company funded a migration lawyer to sort out the application, which took just 13 days from putting in the application to approval [the company had already received approval for the sponsorship] and we did have our x-rays to submit at the same time, which speeded things up.

I would email the HR department and ask them for details of the agent dealing with your application, then contact them and ask what supporting documents they need.

Sorry can't offer anything more useful

Fingers crossed you will hear something soon
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

13 days! That's amazing.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:27 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

just arrived here on 457 a month ago...took about 4 months but could have been done few weeks earlier apart from my oh is a nurse n they were waiting for info from us to give to the nursing council but didn't let us know they needed it so we were sat waiting!!!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ashwood
13 days! That's amazing.
Yes...more like bloody unexpected [although I am no way complaining] .......6 weeks all told from receiving job offer to landing in Sydney

Mind you, no time for ponderings!!!!!!!!!!

Been here 10 months now, and are awaiting ENS 856 visa outcome
Old Aug 5th 2007, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Default 457 Employer sponsored work visa

Interesting...

The visa agent has come back & told me he expect it to take 6-8 weeks to get the visa though