Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 - cancellation of child's visa when parent gets PR?

Wikiposts

457 - cancellation of child's visa when parent gets PR?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default 457 - cancellation of child's visa when parent gets PR?

I know the answer is probably here somewhere, but I don't tend to read 457 stuff I know someone can confirm it quickly though.

Family on 457, child aged 18 goes home, rest of the family stay in Aus and get PR. Child at home is not included in PR application as she is no longer a dependent. Remainder of family get PR granted.
Are we right in thinking that the existing 457 visa in the other child's passport is now cancelled, because the rest of the family are now here as PR? So when she visits Aus she can just get the usual ETA/evisa as a tourist?

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 457 - cancellation of child's visa when parent gets PR?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know the answer is probably here somewhere, but I don't tend to read 457 stuff I know someone can confirm it quickly though.

Family on 457, child aged 18 goes home, rest of the family stay in Aus and get PR. Child at home is not included in PR application as she is no longer a dependent. Remainder of family get PR granted.
Are we right in thinking that the existing 457 visa in the other child's passport is now cancelled, because the rest of the family are now here as PR? So when she visits Aus she can just get the usual ETA/evisa as a tourist?

Thanks
You are correct.

Same problem is happening to us at the moment. Son is here with us on my 457 and is 19. We've applied for PR and he doesn't get added to it.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wullieb1
You are correct.

Same problem is happening to us at the moment. Son is here with us on my 457 and is 19. We've applied for PR and he doesn't get added to it.
OK, many thanks for that, I'll let my mates know.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

OK, many thanks for that, I'll let my mates know.
NP.

Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The 457 may not have been cancelled automatically ... it may require a specific act to cancel it before it expires.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
The 457 may not have been cancelled automatically ... it may require a specific act to cancel it before it expires.
One of those to check with DIAC then before she tries to use it to re-enter, then? Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

One of those to check with DIAC then before she tries to use it to re-enter, then? Thanks
I think Welshtony said that getting an evisitor visa will override any other visa held. On the other hand, an ETA cannot take effect if there is another visa held.

Based on that, getting evisitor will cancel the 457. (why DIAC make a distinction between the ETA and evisitor is unclear). I'd have to look at the Regulations to confirm.