Wikiposts

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: isle of man,british isles,soon to be portland,victoria
linzib is on a distinguished road
Question 457

I'M hearing a lot of negative views on the 457 visa, and getting worried. I was offered a job in rural victoria at the end of january(nurse manager). The hospital advised me to come on a 457 visa as it is much quicker, then I could take up my new position and apply for PR once I had settled into the new way of life. I am wondering now if I have done the right thing. Our visa's are still getting processed as there was a bit of a delay with my nurse registration. So my migration agent in oz said we would be safe to arrive in oz on ETA's, as the visa wouldn't take long. We have now booked our flights for the 29th of april, and started selling our stuff, the dog is booked to fly on the 26th of april.Will the visa need to be approved before the dog can fly? please help.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457

Originally Posted by linzib
I'M hearing a lot of negative views on the 457 visa, and getting worried. I was offered a job in rural victoria at the end of january(nurse manager). The hospital advised me to come on a 457 visa as it is much quicker, then I could take up my new position and apply for PR once I had settled into the new way of life. I am wondering now if I have done the right thing. Our visa's are still getting processed as there was a bit of a delay with my nurse registration. So my migration agent in oz said we would be safe to arrive in oz on ETA's, as the visa wouldn't take long. We have now booked our flights for the 29th of april, and started selling our stuff, the dog is booked to fly on the 26th of april.Will the visa need to be approved before the dog can fly? please help.
1. The following is essential reading if you want to go on a 457:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

2. Employer nominated PR - either through ENS or RSMS - does not normally take all that long.

3. Different people say different things about the ETA, but the Migration Regulations clearly say that the ETA is intended only for those *visiting* Australia.

Are you clear about the exact process? People granted 457 visas can now travel to Australia and get their visa stamped on arrival if they have an ETA-eligible passport. This is not the same as travelling on an ETA proper as the 457 is shown as 'granted' in the system.

4. If you do arrive on an ETA and don't get refused entry on arrival, you cannot start work until your 457 is approved. New regulations just taken effect do mean that the 457 can be granted onshore.

Jeremy