457 to 187 47 years old!!

Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:27 am
Just Joined

coldbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 to 187 47 years old!!

Is there anyone else currently on 457 who is now stuck in position of not being able to get PR due to changes announced in April 2017? I am a 47 year old mental health nurse who is now no longer eligible for PR due to changes to maximum age requirements.

Anyone else stuck with this issue??
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 to 187 47 years old!!

Originally Posted by coldbob
Is there anyone else currently on 457 who is now stuck in position of not being able to get PR due to changes announced in April 2017? I am a 47 year old mental health nurse who is now no longer eligible for PR due to changes to maximum age requirements.

Anyone else stuck with this issue??
The age limit applying from temporary residence is still 50 according to home affairs website - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/187-
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately, there are plans to change the eligibility period for the Temporary Residence Transition Stream from 2 to 3 years as of March 2018, no formal announcement yet. But if so, I'll then be 50 before I can apply and therefore too old...
Old Mar 12th 2018, 2:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, there are plans to change the eligibility period for the Temporary Residence Transition Stream from 2 to 3 years as of March 2018, no formal announcement yet. But if so, I'll then be 50 before I can apply and therefore too old...
Sorry, I thought you were already in Australia on a 457.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sorry, I thought you were already in Australia on a 457.
I am already in Australia on 457. That doesn't make any difference as far as I understand it.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 2:37 am

I am already in Australia on 457. That doesn't make any difference as far as I understand it.
Well if you have already completed 2 years on 457 then you are able to apply for 187 if sponsored and meet other criteria.

If you have been in Australia since before April 2017 and have already competed 1 year on the 457, then even if the requirement is increased to 3 years you will still be under 50 when you can be sponsored for a 187.

If you arrived after April 2017 then obviously you may not be able to become a PR, but a 457 is a temporary visa with all that that entails, and having been around for some time, you must have been aware of how quickly things can change in the visa world.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 2:52 am

Information on the changes here - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Worki...-programme.pdf
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Well, old sparkles, thanks for the information regarding the visa conditions, but I'm already very familiar with them. All I was asking is if anybody else currently finds themselves in this position?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in that position, but have come across many on the forums. They generally don't get a lot of sympathy as the 457 is what it says on the tin. Temporary and people had to assume they were only going to Oz on a temp basis.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you very stormy for posting your opinion on this matter. Again, I'm only writing this post for others in a similar situation, if there are any.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very stormy for posting your opinion on this matter. Again, I'm only writing this post for others in a similar situation, if there are any.
I'm sure there are. However I have not seen any other posts regarding this issue on here.

E-Harmony maybe?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm sure there are. However I have not seen any other posts regarding this issue on here.

E-Harmony maybe?

Could be the only way to PR now
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Lol. I didn't know what eHarmony was so just googled it.

I don't think my wife would be too keen on that option. Lol.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. I didn't know what eHarmony was so just googled it.

I don't think my wife would be too keen on that option. Lol.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Well if you have already completed 2 years on 457 then you are able to apply for 187 if sponsored and meet other criteria.

If you have been in Australia since before April 2017 and have already competed 1 year on the 457, then even if the requirement is increased to 3 years you will still be under 50 when you can be sponsored for a 187.

If you arrived after April 2017 then obviously you may not be able to become a PR, but a 457 is a temporary visa with all that that entails, and having been around for some time, you must have been aware of how quickly things can change in the visa world.
Very thoughtful and helpful posts from you sparkles, giving comprehensive information to make sure people are fully aware of all their options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.