457 or 119/857 over 60???

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough
Default 457 or 119/857 over 60???

We would like to sponsor a friend of ours who is a truckdriver.
Due to our rural location the RSMS 119/857 (Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme) would be possible and we are in need of a permanent truckdriver.
The problem is he already turned 60 just one month ago.
He was in Australia from feb 07 til aug 07 on a 457 with a different employer. Because of problems at home he had to leave and wanted to come back as soon as it was solved. But soon after he was gone his former employer just cancelled his visa contrary to the agreements.

Is there still a chance to sponsor him on a 119/857 even being over 60 or would a 457 better for him (so he does not have to sit the IELTS)?
And is there a chance of doing that onshore? He would love to come over now on a visitor visa and stay during the process?

Any advice appreciated.
GTF

Last edited by greentreefrog; Dec 2nd 2008 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 or 119/857 over 60???

with the rsms you'd have to apply for an exemption to the 45yrs rule, which I think means proving you can't get anyone younger to do the job. Can you prove that? I have to say I think you'd struggle in the current economic climate. Also the asco code needs to be one suitable for rsms. Is it? http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...rsms/index.htm

I'd have my money on 457 being the only option but who knows.....
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentreefrog
Is there still a chance to sponsor him on a 119/857 even being over 60 or would a 457 better for him (so he does not have to sit the IELTS)?
And is there a chance of doing that onshore? He would love to come over now on a visitor visa and stay during the process?
The policy on age waiver is discussed in booklet 5:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm

You will see how difficult it is once you turn age 60.

457 visa is not a solution as it is not permanent residence.

Visitor status is not for those intending to move to Australia.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

why isn't 457 a possible solution?

No it won't give PR - which has to be the first choice every time - and all those benefits but it does allow someone to live and work here for quite some time (they can be renewed) if they accept the risks attached. No its not ideal but if its that or nothing at all........
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
why isn't 457 a possible solution?

No it won't give PR - which has to be the first choice every time - and all those benefits but it does allow someone to live and work here for quite some time (they can be renewed) if they accept the risks attached. No its not ideal but if its that or nothing at all........
It's not just a question of accepting the risks or not.

Are they willing to accept that barring a change in the law, there is a near 100% certainty that they will have to go home?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough

The booklet says :
"If the applicant is 60 years or older, exceptional circumstances are generally not considered"

I just thought there might be a chance because it is hard for us to find someone willing to live and work in the bush in a permanent position.

What is the asco code?

Last edited by greentreefrog; Dec 3rd 2008 at 3:12 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

thats why I said for quite some time rather than forever or permanently....and without being callous at 60yrs a limited stay may not be so offputting as a 25 yr old setting themselves up in life.

Still a chance to do something different for a few years before retiring back to the uk. Each to their own so long as they know what they are getting into and the limitations of their choices.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yes i agree.
But I still dont know if the 457 would be possible for someone over 60????
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is a regional 457 that allows an exemption to be granted to include more asco codes. There are no age restrictions that I can see so long as medical etc can still be passed. http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/26state.htm