405 visa to parent visa

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

lizasi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 405 visa to parent visa

Hi there.....

Haven't been on here in years but have a question that I hope someone might be able to help me with....

My mum and dad moved here 6 years ago on the 405 visa, while I came over with my husband on the permanent visa. My brother is now living here also, which means they have more children here than in the UK.

As the 405 visa has gone up so much, I am hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to get them on the long waiting parent visa while being onshore..I think they would have to go on a bridging visa as I know the waiting time for this visa is years. My reason for that visa is they have paid out for the 405 visa twice which had cost a small fortune so far.

Cheers Liza
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 405 visa to parent visa

I think it would be worth taking some professional help to make sure they take the best path. My take is that if they lodge for the parent visa whilst on the investment visa they would be bound by the terms if the investment visa anyway even after it expires as that is how bridging visas work.

I am also wondering if the investment visa has a no further stay condition on it too, meaning hey couldn't apply onshore anyway. Can you ask them to check that.

So if they cannot apply onshore, they would have to leave, come back as tourists and then apply for parent visa. A risky strategy perhaps? Are they old enough for the aged parent visa btw?
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think it would be worth taking some professional help to make sure they take the best path. My take is that if they lodge for the parent visa whilst on the investment visa they would be bound by the terms if the investment visa anyway even after it expires as that is how bridging visas work.

I am also wondering if the investment visa has a no further stay condition on it too, meaning hey couldn't apply onshore anyway. Can you ask them to check that.

So if they cannot apply onshore, they would have to leave, come back as tourists and then apply for parent visa. A risky strategy perhaps? Are they old enough for the aged parent visa btw?
Hi there

Yes they are for sure old enough to go on that visa, they are turning 76 and 74 this year. They were one of the first to come over on the 405....I've looked at their letter they got with the visa and there is nothing on there about conditions no being able to stay.

At there age it's no good going out and coming back, at the end of the day they have there home here and pay their taxs. We are going to talk to a agent but I just thought someone might know someone that has gone from that visa to the parent one......it's only now my brother is here they meet the family part to the parent visa.

Looks like it's going to be going down the agent route again...
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

If you're absolutely sure there wasn't a No Further Stay clause on their visa grant, then there should be nothing stopping them applying for a visa they now qualify for.
But given that they must have had to guarantee a substantial annual income/savings for the retirement visa, they may wish to go for the Contributory option so that they get a grant in a relatively short time-it will make a big difference to their Medicare entitlement etc.
An initial call to a MARA agent shouldn't cost anything just to check out these points though
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by campervanfan
If you're absolutely sure there wasn't a No Further Stay clause on their visa grant, then there should be nothing stopping them applying for a visa they now qualify for.
But given that they must have had to guarantee a substantial annual income/savings for the retirement visa, they may wish to go for the Contributory option so that they get a grant in a relatively short time-it will make a big difference to their Medicare entitlement etc.
An initial call to a MARA agent shouldn't cost anything just to check out these points though
Thank you for your reply.......I'm just trying to save them some money really. They paid $8000 for the first 405 and then it went up to over $20000, god knows what it's going to be in 2 years time.

The other reason I what to get them on the parent visa is so they can move near me, which they can't do on the 405...I must say the point you make about the Medicare is a good one, as I hadn't thought about that.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Liza.

I've got a factsheet on the subclass 804 Aged Parent visa - if you'd like it please send an email to me (click on my name to the left of this post).

Best regards.