British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   4 Years and can now apply for Citizenship...But (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/4-years-can-now-apply-citizenship-but-846099/)

newlife_downunder Oct 28th 2014 11:19 pm

4 Years and can now apply for Citizenship...But

Hi to all

I have not been on here in a long while, probably because we are living the dream on the Gold Coast ;)

Anyway our 4 years of residing in Australia passed in August, and I have just downloaded the checklist for applying for Citizenship (YAY).

However, I was wondering whether or not we need to get UK Police checks done again? As it states "You will need to provide original penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if, since the grant of your permanent Australian visa:

you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and
the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and
the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or
you are requested to do so by the department."

We got our PR visa in Nov 2008, we came over to Aus on a 'Validation' trip in Feb 2009, we returned home after a 3 week holiday, and got our property ready to sell, but with the recession it took time, we finally left the UK in August 2010. So there is a gap from validating the visa to moving to Australia.

Just wondering what the score is?

Any assistance would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Thanks

Pollyana Oct 29th 2014 12:18 am

Re: 4 Years and can now apply for Citizenship...But

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder (Post 11454379)
Hi to all

I have not been on here in a long while, probably because we are living the dream on the Gold Coast ;)

Anyway our 4 years of residing in Australia passed in August, and I have just downloaded the checklist for applying for Citizenship (YAY).

However, I was wondering whether or not we need to get UK Police checks done again? As it states "You will need to provide original penal clearance certificates from overseas countries if, since the grant of your permanent Australian visa:

you lived or travelled overseas since the age of 18 years or over, and
the total time spent overseas added up to 12 months or more, and
the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days, or
you are requested to do so by the department."

We got our PR visa in Nov 2008, we came over to Aus on a 'Validation' trip in Feb 2009, we returned home after a 3 week holiday, and got our property ready to sell, but with the recession it took time, we finally left the UK in August 2010. So there is a gap from validating the visa to moving to Australia.

Just wondering what the score is?

Any assistance would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Thanks

The time spent in the UK since your PR was granted is more than 12 months by the look of it, so yes you need UK Police checks

Bermudashorts Oct 29th 2014 12:48 am

Yep, agree.

peaceboy Oct 29th 2014 4:32 am

Yep..

Cheers,
PB :thumbup:

slackbloke Nov 8th 2014 5:50 am

It's too late now but the upside of the 12 month rule is that you were actually eligible for citizenship in August 2013, not 2014