Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

2nd stage of processing for spouse/de-facto via is here!

Wikiposts

2nd stage of processing for spouse/de-facto via is here!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

jamienewbold is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2nd stage of processing for spouse/de-facto visa is here!

hi - i have just sent my forms off (in sydney) in the hope that i will get my PR after being in oz for 18 months.

My partner (aussie) and i arrived here in 2003 from london. we both have good jobs (she is a teacher) and purchased a house together in 2004 so we have plenty of evidence and my front-loaded temp visa application in london was straight forward in may 2003.

anyway...... as i said, i've just sent off all my forms (1 wk ago) after being contacted by DIMIA about 4 weeks ago. we are now engaged (since 2004)and plan to marry abroad in aug 2006 however we need to confirm exact dates, booking of venue etc - however will this effect my perm application at all?

e.g. - will they ask for more info about marriage or will i be granted spouse visa (think its perm class 100 as my visa now is temp class 309?) on the info i have sent them (you know - stat decs, proof of home ownership, bills, photos etc).

Basically it just struck me that they might turn around and say you can no longer apply for a spouse/defacto visa as you're engaged - who knows?

any tips would be great as i used this forum back in London, in 03!

we love it here in sydney + have made a real great life for ourselves and my partners family is all here.... Probably just getting stressed other nothing.....!

ALSO - for those who have now got their PR, how long did it take after you posted it (in sydney in perticular) and do they phone you, snail mail or what?

i trust you have to go to their office to get new visa stamp in passport? has anyway had to have a tel/in-person interview etc? Tell me all the gossip!
As i can't get my perm PR until early may 05 (if i get it!) will they still write to me before this date, to advise me yes or no and then i have to wait until May to actually get new stamp in passport, correct or will they not even bother to process my newly submitted PR app until after the 2yr period in early May, how does it work??! - After all they sent the PR app forms to me 3 months in advance!?

Cheers......

Last edited by jamienewbold; Mar 22nd 2005 at 1:13 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd stage of processing for spouse/de-facto visa is here!

Originally Posted by jamienewbold
hi - i have just sent my forms off (in sydney) in the hope that i will get my PR after being in oz for 18 months.

My partner (aussie) and i arrived here in 2003 from london. we both have good jobs (she is a teacher) and purchased a house together in 2004 so we have plenty of evidence and my front-loaded temp visa application in london was straight forward in may 2003.

anyway...... as i said, i've just sent off all my forms (1 wk ago) after being contacted by DIMIA about 4 weeks ago. we are now engaged (since 2004)and plan to marry abroad in aug 2006 however we need to confirm exact dates, booking of venue etc - however will this effect my perm application at all?

e.g. - will they ask for more info about marriage or will i be granted spouse visa (think its perm class 100 as my visa now is temp class 309?) on the info i have sent them (you know - stat decs, proof of home ownership, bills, photos etc).

Basically it just struck me that they might turn around and say you can no longer apply for a spouse/defacto visa as you're engaged - who knows?

we love it here in sydney + have made a real great life for ourselves and my partners family is all here.... Probably just getting stressed other nothing.....!

ALSO - for those who have now got their PR, how long did it take after you posted it (in sydney in perticular) and do they phone you, snail mail or what?

i trust you have to go to their office to get new visa stamp in passport? has anyway had to have a tel/in-person interview etc? Tell me all the gossip!
As i can't get my perm PR until early may 05 (if i get it!) will they still write to me before this date, to advise me yes or no and then i have to wait until May to actually get new stamp in passport, correct or will they not even bother to process my newly submitted PR app until after the 2yr period in early May, how does it work??! - After all they sent the PR app forms to me 3 months in advance!?

Cheers......
It's the same visa as far as I'm aware so they won't mind if you're engaged or not. I posted a similar thread yesterday because mine is coming up too and everyone said it would be a piece of cake compoared with the first bit. We're also in Sydney but we used the Parramatta Office as the City one had a long wait.
I've been told they get in touch about 3 months before and it's all pretty straightforward. Fingers Crossed!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks mate - i have already posted my docs off for PR app so.....! (DIMIA were very prompt in sending me my PR app forms espeically as i have changed address 3 times and yes, much easier than when i applied for stage1 temp visa in london 2yrs ago! seeya........
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamienewbold

Cheers......
I got married whilst on a 309 and got my 100 no probs. If anything the receipt for the engagement ring will be good evidence.

I posted the app and received a call a couple of days later to answer a query I had on travelling on the decision date. They said the app was fine. This was a year and a half ago. PR was granted the day I got back from overseas after the day date. I was informed that PR is not usually granted before the due date.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

thanks mate however no reciept for the ring as my partners ring was a family heirloom + saving money for wedding as opposed to ring for me! should be fine though! so do you think they will still call or write to me before early may (when it hits 2yrs) to tell me that i will be granted a visa or wwill they keep me stewing until then?

i did speak to me contact officer (in sydney) on phone last wk about a proposed biz trip abroad in april but this has since been canceled so she said she would review case when it gets delivered to their office however if i will be abroad in next few weeks then i must call them to let them know!