Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

(261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

(261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:16 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
oliman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lahore
Posts: 305
oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all
Default (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Greetings Readers,

I am going with another assessment for ANZSCO code as my old ASCO code assessment is only on Schedule 4 andI am interested in 175 VISA type.

I am confused with selecting the ANZSCO code. Should I choose (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

My overall career is based on following duties

  1. Coding in C# for desktop applications.
  2. Coding in C# and ASP.NET for web applications
  3. Writing FS and pther similar design documents.
  4. Bugfixing through code debugging.
  5. Designing application architecture for new projects and coding them
  6. Writing Database driven software applications with various DBMS
  7. Communicating with client/stakeholders for project related discussions
Both (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) sound applicable to my occupation. I have seen their descriptions and they are the same. Which one should I choose for myself?

Please give your thoughts on this.


Thanks,



Last edited by oliman; Jul 9th 2010 at 9:20 pm.
oliman is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:16 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 113
msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Originally Posted by oliman View Post
Greetings Readers,

I am going with another assessment for ANZSCO code as my old ASCO code assessment is only on Schedule 4 andI am interested in 175 VISA type.

I am confused with selecting the ANZSCO code. Should I choose (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

My overall career is based on following duties

  1. Coding in C# for desktop applications.
  2. Coding in C# and ASP.NET for web applications
  3. Writing FS and pther similar design documents.
  4. Bugfixing through code debugging.
  5. Designing application architecture for new projects and coding them
  6. Writing Database driven software applications with various DBMS
  7. Communicating with client/stakeholders for project related discussions
Both (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) sound applicable to my occupation. I have seen their descriptions and they are the same. Which one should I choose for myself?

Please give your thoughts on this.


Thanks,


Its very easy. If you have been involved in designing the project along with development in recent years then go for Software Engineer otherwise Developer/Programmer. How many years of experience do you have by the way? Software Engineer is a senior position with more work on architecture and design side. If you think you have been doing it for last couple of years then you are Software Engineer. Obviously you need to provide all this on your employment letter for assessment.
msabiransari is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:40 am
  #3  
Reg. Migration Agent
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Originally Posted by oliman View Post
Greetings Readers,

I am going with another assessment for ANZSCO code as my old ASCO code assessment is only on Schedule 4 andI am interested in 175 VISA type.

I am confused with selecting the ANZSCO code. Should I choose (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

My overall career is based on following duties

  1. Coding in C# for desktop applications.
  2. Coding in C# and ASP.NET for web applications
  3. Writing FS and pther similar design documents.
  4. Bugfixing through code debugging.
  5. Designing application architecture for new projects and coding them
  6. Writing Database driven software applications with various DBMS
  7. Communicating with client/stakeholders for project related discussions
Both (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) sound applicable to my occupation. I have seen their descriptions and they are the same. Which one should I choose for myself?

Please give your thoughts on this.


Thanks,


Dear Oliman,

Can't see the wisdom in doing this unless you know something about the likely processing times of a new application which is not known to the rest of us.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:29 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 247
sufyan_victoria will become famous soon enoughsufyan_victoria will become famous soon enough
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

msabiransari please have a shed on my case also.

Oracle Database Administrator
Oct – 2008 Current
Oracle Database Administrator
Oct – 2007 Sep– 2008
Software Developer
Dec– 2006 Oct – 2007
Programmer / Analyst
Feb– 2002 Nov– 2006

above is my career path,i have already got 2231-79 (Oracle Specialist) which is not in new SOL schedule 3 but in schedule 4.One way for me to get new assesment (reassessed) , for new assesment (reassessment) i will have to show that i am working as a software engineer or developer programmer.Though, currently i am doing as a software developer/implementer as well as as a database administrator , same i showed in my previous ACS assesment , i showed in my previous ACS assesment for the current responsibilities in declaration stamp paper , red one text are related to software development which i showed in my previous ACS assesment.

MAIN DUTIES (ORACLE):

•Regularly perform database systems management duties that include database installation, upgrades, patch implementation, configuration, and access security management, proactive monitoring and reporting, troubleshooting, and develop database control scripts and specialized software (APIs) to assist in the management of transaction processing environment.
•Created SLA (System Level Agreement) for database backup and recovery risk analysis.
•Implement, maintained and validate online database backup using oracle RMAN (Recovery Manager) tool as an incremental level backup according to SLA for the production and UAT environment.
•Planning and implementation for Oracle Data Guard with physical standby database within maximum protection mode according to SLA.
•Configured IBM Blade Server with SAN (Storage Area Network) using IBM deployment server for the platform Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS5 and AS4.
•Planned and configuring SAN to Logical Volume for Oracle database and cluster ware configuration for the Oracle RAC environment for the two node.
•Created ATI MEDiTOP physical database in oracle with consideration of HA (High Availability).
•ATI MEDiTOP Application installation/upgrade/configuration in Oracle Application Server with ATI MEDiTOP physical database.
•Managing Database Performance & Tuning.
•Implemented and maintain database security (users’ roles and privileges) at back end oracle database.
•Implemented application security (user creation, assigning, revoking, responsibilities to users) using ATI MEDiTOP module security and control.
•Planned growth and changes (capacity Planning) for the oracle database

OTHER DUTIES:

•Planning and implementation the RAC with two node for database node.
•Planning and implementation of Dataguard.
•Responsible for 24x7 production environment and provided on call and day to day support.
•Planned and implemented the backup and recovery solution for 24x7 Production environment.
•Take care of the Database design and implementation
•Implement and maintain database security (create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges) as well application security creating, assigning, revoking
•Responsibilities to users.
oDo application tuning and performance monitoring
oSetup and maintain documentation and standards
oDo general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development
•Understanding ATI MEDiTOP ERP with its Business Logic by reviewing Oracle Developer based Development and creating PL/SQL (DML & Query).
•Developed Unix shell scripts to upload & download data into/from Database using SQL* Loader.
•Continuous Reviewing ATI MEDiTOP ERP modules for successful implementation which adhere me to Enhanced ATI MEDiTOP ERP modules by adding Corporate Functionality


I have expertise on the following programming tools and languages:

• Oracle PL/SQL Developer
• Toad
• Oracle 10g
• Oracle Developer 6i
• Erwin

I have worked on the following projects:

• Human Resource
• Material Management
• Security & Control
• Oracle RAC implementation
• Oracle Data Guard




Above is my current responsibilities which i showed the same in my previous ACS assesment,can I get new assesment as few of them in the above red one text responsibilities which i mentioned in my previous ACS assesment for 2231-79 (Oracle Specialist). I mean to say to be reassessed under a different code like Analyst programmer (261311),Developer programmer (261312),Software engineer (261313) for my case will not conflict to the accesor as i have already provided them in my previous assesment for the above red one text responsibilities.Should i go with Analyst programmer (261311),Developer programmer (261312),Software engineer (261313) for new assessment or they will not consider me cause i have title as database administrator.

Last edited by sufyan_victoria; Jul 10th 2010 at 6:35 am.
sufyan_victoria is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:37 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 499
umair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant future
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

@Oliman: I think your job duties and mine are almost same and we should go with 261312 - Developer Programmer. Have you finalized the ANZSCO Code for yourself yet?

Thanks..
umair is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:30 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
oliman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lahore
Posts: 305
oliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to alloliman is a name known to all
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Originally Posted by umair View Post
@Oliman: I think your job duties and mine are almost same and we should go with 261312 - Developer Programmer. Have you finalized the ANZSCO Code for yourself yet?

Thanks..
Yes I have finalized for "Software Engineer" as my role spans around application design and architecture as well, and "Software Engineer" seems to have more value over "Developer Programmer". Also, my designation has also been "Software Engineer" for last 4+ years.
oliman is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:01 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 113
msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Originally Posted by sufyan_victoria View Post
msabiransari please have a shed on my case also.

Oracle Database Administrator
Oct – 2008 Current
Oracle Database Administrator
Oct – 2007 Sep– 2008
Software Developer
Dec– 2006 Oct – 2007
Programmer / Analyst
Feb– 2002 Nov– 2006

above is my career path,i have already got 2231-79 (Oracle Specialist) which is not in new SOL schedule 3 but in schedule 4.One way for me to get new assesment (reassessed) , for new assesment (reassessment) i will have to show that i am working as a software engineer or developer programmer.Though, currently i am doing as a software developer/implementer as well as as a database administrator , same i showed in my previous ACS assesment , i showed in my previous ACS assesment for the current responsibilities in declaration stamp paper , red one text are related to software development which i showed in my previous ACS assesment.

MAIN DUTIES (ORACLE):

•Regularly perform database systems management duties that include database installation, upgrades, patch implementation, configuration, and access security management, proactive monitoring and reporting, troubleshooting, and develop database control scripts and specialized software (APIs) to assist in the management of transaction processing environment.
•Created SLA (System Level Agreement) for database backup and recovery risk analysis.
•Implement, maintained and validate online database backup using oracle RMAN (Recovery Manager) tool as an incremental level backup according to SLA for the production and UAT environment.
•Planning and implementation for Oracle Data Guard with physical standby database within maximum protection mode according to SLA.
•Configured IBM Blade Server with SAN (Storage Area Network) using IBM deployment server for the platform Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS5 and AS4.
•Planned and configuring SAN to Logical Volume for Oracle database and cluster ware configuration for the Oracle RAC environment for the two node.
•Created ATI MEDiTOP physical database in oracle with consideration of HA (High Availability).
•ATI MEDiTOP Application installation/upgrade/configuration in Oracle Application Server with ATI MEDiTOP physical database.
•Managing Database Performance & Tuning.
•Implemented and maintain database security (users’ roles and privileges) at back end oracle database.
•Implemented application security (user creation, assigning, revoking, responsibilities to users) using ATI MEDiTOP module security and control.
•Planned growth and changes (capacity Planning) for the oracle database

OTHER DUTIES:

•Planning and implementation the RAC with two node for database node.
•Planning and implementation of Dataguard.
•Responsible for 24x7 production environment and provided on call and day to day support.
•Planned and implemented the backup and recovery solution for 24x7 Production environment.
•Take care of the Database design and implementation
•Implement and maintain database security (create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges) as well application security creating, assigning, revoking
•Responsibilities to users.
oDo application tuning and performance monitoring
oSetup and maintain documentation and standards
oDo general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development
•Understanding ATI MEDiTOP ERP with its Business Logic by reviewing Oracle Developer based Development and creating PL/SQL (DML & Query).
•Developed Unix shell scripts to upload & download data into/from Database using SQL* Loader.
•Continuous Reviewing ATI MEDiTOP ERP modules for successful implementation which adhere me to Enhanced ATI MEDiTOP ERP modules by adding Corporate Functionality


I have expertise on the following programming tools and languages:

• Oracle PL/SQL Developer
• Toad
• Oracle 10g
• Oracle Developer 6i
• Erwin

I have worked on the following projects:

• Human Resource
• Material Management
• Security & Control
• Oracle RAC implementation
• Oracle Data Guard




Above is my current responsibilities which i showed the same in my previous ACS assesment,can I get new assesment as few of them in the above red one text responsibilities which i mentioned in my previous ACS assesment for 2231-79 (Oracle Specialist). I mean to say to be reassessed under a different code like Analyst programmer (261311),Developer programmer (261312),Software engineer (261313) for my case will not conflict to the accesor as i have already provided them in my previous assesment for the above red one text responsibilities.Should i go with Analyst programmer (261311),Developer programmer (261312),Software engineer (261313) for new assessment or they will not consider me cause i have title as database administrator.
You have been doing lot of stuff in your job including database administration, System implementation/Process implementation, Development reviews/mentoring development teams, maintaining database and designing new database projects and etc. You got the assessment as Oracle specialist before.

Now, you need to understand that, DIAC had the categories specific to TECHNOLOGIES like Oracle specialist, SAP specialist, J2EE specialist and etc but now they have made our life simple by coming up with ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES which sounds me more logical. They simply have categorized different roles according to type of experience. Now a person who is just writing code will be called Programmer. If someone is doing more then writing code like designing the software, mentoring or leading a team of developers or architecting a system they call him Software Engineer.

Now, it does not matter if the Programmer or Software Engineer was writing/designing code in C# or Java or even Oracle. What is important for DIAC is the WORK not TECHNOLOGY.

Whatever you have sent to ACS in your previous application is just perfect to to be sent to them again with minor changes for the assessment of Software Engineer. If I were to assess you as Software Engineer, I would definitely do it.

In my opinion, you can modify the same application and make it more generic by removing some of the technology jargon and emphasizing on your responsibilities in more detail. For example remove following,

•Implemented application security (user creation, assigning, revoking, responsibilities to users) using ATI MEDiTOP module security and control.

and add this,

Created Functional specification in order to implement applications security. Designed and documented the approved module and implemented it using ATI MEDITOP.

This way you can cover all of the steps which you do in your job. It does not conflict your previous application as well. ACS assessors are professionals and they understand what you do. Unfortunately, Software engineering is not as mature as other engineering disciplines are.
You can also provide some details about the projects you have done. The point is to show them that you was not just the Oracle guy but have been participating in the design, documenting, development and implementation of the project.

This is just my opinion based on my experience in this field. I may be wrong.
msabiransari is offline  
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:14 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 247
sufyan_victoria will become famous soon enoughsufyan_victoria will become famous soon enough
Default Re: (261312 Developer Programmer) OR (261313 Software Engineer) ?

Originally Posted by msabiransari View Post
You have been doing lot of stuff in your job including database administration, System implementation/Process implementation, Development reviews/mentoring development teams, maintaining database and designing new database projects and etc. You got the assessment as Oracle specialist before.

Now, you need to understand that, DIAC had the categories specific to TECHNOLOGIES like Oracle specialist, SAP specialist, J2EE specialist and etc but now they have made our life simple by coming up with ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES which sounds me more logical. They simply have categorized different roles according to type of experience. Now a person who is just writing code will be called Programmer. If someone is doing more then writing code like designing the software, mentoring or leading a team of developers or architecting a system they call him Software Engineer.

Now, it does not matter if the Programmer or Software Engineer was writing/designing code in C# or Java or even Oracle. What is important for DIAC is the WORK not TECHNOLOGY.

Whatever you have sent to ACS in your previous application is just perfect to to be sent to them again with minor changes for the assessment of Software Engineer. If I were to assess you as Software Engineer, I would definitely do it.

In my opinion, you can modify the same application and make it more generic by removing some of the technology jargon and emphasizing on your responsibilities in more detail. For example remove following,

•Implemented application security (user creation, assigning, revoking, responsibilities to users) using ATI MEDiTOP module security and control.

and add this,

Created Functional specification in order to implement applications security. Designed and documented the approved module and implemented it using ATI MEDITOP.

This way you can cover all of the steps which you do in your job. It does not conflict your previous application as well. ACS assessors are professionals and they understand what you do. Unfortunately, Software engineering is not as mature as other engineering disciplines are.
You can also provide some details about the projects you have done. The point is to show them that you was not just the Oracle guy but have been participating in the design, documenting, development and implementation of the project.

This is just my opinion based on my experience in this field. I may be wrong.
thanks mate for detail info..

wont it create confusion to ACS with my current title Database Administrator for applying Software engineer (261313)?
sufyan_victoria is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.