Wikiposts

2 Year Study

Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough
Default 2 Year Study

Hi all,

After reading the Sept 1st changes, can someone shed some further light on the 2 year study period?

I was hoping to do a Dip.Ed and then apply for some kind of temporary visa to allow me to work and gain experience in Australian schools. It seems however that I can't do this. Is this true?

I have taught for 2 years in the UK but trained under the GTP route, which is not recognised by Teaching Australia. I therefore have to get a qualification that is and thought Dip.Ed would be way to go.

I am told that almost on a weekly basis there is something in media about teaching shortage in WA, which is where I am going. Don't mind going regional, don't mind going to the back o' bourke.

Appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance,

*muncles*
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: 2 Year Study

Anyone?

Are there any visa routes open to me for work after one year of study or does it have to be 2?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

The rule speaks for itself.
You need to have studies in Oz for 2 years (16 months) full time in order to:
get 5 points for studying in Oz
be eligible for a graduate visa so you can stay in Oz for another 18 months to get work experience.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michang
The rule speaks for itself.
You need to have studies in Oz for 2 years (16 months) full time in order to:
get 5 points for studying in Oz
be eligible for a graduate visa so you can stay in Oz for another 18 months to get work experience.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit gobsmacked in all honesty.

So are you saying that when I finish the Dip. Ed. I will then have to leave?

This seems ridiculous. Is it possible I can apply for some other sort of visa after the student one?

I have 2 years work experience as a teacher. I am simply doing the qualification to enable me to have my chosen occupation acknowledged. I have qualified teaching status in UK and have had a full time permanent position for the last 2 years.

I am simply jumping through the hoop to gain recognition for a profession I am already in and succeeding in. I am now acting Head of Department!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not say that.

I said that if you want/need to gain extra points for instance for Australian work experience or bonus points for having studied in Oz for 2 years your safest bet would be to go for a minimum of 2 year study visa as that one provides you the greatest flexibility after the student visa finishes.
If you only need 1 year of studies to gather enough points than go for it.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michang
I did not say that.

I said that if you want/need to gain extra points for instance for Australian work experience or bonus points for having studied in Oz for 2 years your safest bet would be to go for a minimum of 2 year study visa as that one provides you the greatest flexibility after the student visa finishes.
If you only need 1 year of studies to gather enough points than go for it.
Thanks for your help. I guess I need to tot up the points I will have on finishing the Dip. Ed. and see what visa option will work for me.

If I don't have enough I guess I could do a Masters of Education which would give me the 2 years and some extra points.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:44 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest that you could use your UK study and experience for credits and possibly study two years for bachelor degree If you need help let me know.