British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   2 year comitment? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/2-year-comitment-693420/)

Willi79 Nov 13th 2010 7:36 pm

2 year comitment?

Hi to all,
Can anybody tell me when the 2 year commitment begins with regards to state sponsorship, and is it acceptable with sponsoring states to make a trip to validate a 176 PR visa then return later to settle permanently?

We have had a request for police checks & meds so am assuming are visa would be valid for next 12 months. Trouble is we plan to be married next year and wasn't expecting to re-locate until 2012.

Your help an advice is much appreciated

Saracen Nov 13th 2010 8:07 pm

Re: 2 year comitment?

Naturally you have to spend 2 years in that state when you finally move to Australia.
I believe they give you five years period after visa grant to move for good.

Dorothy Nov 13th 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Willi79 (Post 8979658)
Hi to all,
Can anybody tell me when the 2 year commitment begins with regards to state sponsorship, and is it acceptable with sponsoring states to make a trip to validate a 176 PR visa then return later to settle permanently?

We have had a request for police checks & meds so am assuming are visa would be valid for next 12 months. Trouble is we plan to be married next year and wasn't expecting to re-locate until 2012.

You are expected to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years. It begins when you move permanently to Australia.

If you are planning to get married next year, is your fiance listed on your application now?

ponyrama Nov 14th 2010 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Willi79 (Post 8979658)
Hi to all,

Your meds and police checks are valid for 12 months from the date they are completed and you will need to validate within that 12 months. But once you have done that you are free to leave and then return in 2012 if that is what you wish. Good luck!:thumbup:

Willi79 Nov 14th 2010 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8979851)
You are expected to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years. It begins when you move permanently to Australia.

If you are planning to get married next year, is your fiance listed on your application now?

Thanks guys,
Yes my fiance is listed as defaco partner. Although my 5 week old son isn't at the moment, we've just applied for his passport so will add him on once recieved.
Trouble is our case officer has given us 28 days for meds etc which isn't a problem for me and my fiance, but not sure we'll get his passport in time.

Dorothy Nov 14th 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Willi79 (Post 8980470)
Thanks guys,
Yes my fiance is listed as defaco partner. Although my 5 week old son isn't at the moment, we've just applied for his passport so will add him on once recieved.
Trouble is our case officer has given us 28 days for meds etc which isn't a problem for me and my fiance, but not sure we'll get his passport in time.

You can notify your case officer that you have a new baby and will be adding him as soon as his passport is in. You guys get your meds done now and when the little guy's passport comes you can get his done.

Congratulations on your new baby.

sooperlids Nov 14th 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Willi79 (Post 8980470)
Thanks guys,

We got a passport for our new baby in less than 2 weeks. Filled out the online form so they send them pre printed, sent them off with pics. Very impressed with the turnaround time.