British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   190 or 489 and what state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/190-489-what-state-919174/)

Craigus1984 Nov 10th 2018 6:10 pm

190 or 489 and what state

evening all

im in a position to apply for a 190 or 489 in the following states,

NT 489-190
TAS -489
NSW 489-190
QLD -489
SA 489-190

my original preference was WA but not an option,
so im hoping to get ppls recommendations for what visa and area would be most successful for the move (not the visa)
I’m a mechanical engineer and have mainly worked in the FMCG sector (dairy and liquids)
what are the pro and cons and best options
I will be coming with 3 kids and the misses.

we have only looked into WA and basically all are research has be for the WA.
so a little lost as now have 5 options.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated and taken onboard

thanks Craig

Pollyana Nov 10th 2018 11:10 pm

Re: 190 or 489 and what state

Originally Posted by Craigus1984 (Post 12591449)
evening all

NT 489-190
TAS -489
NSW 489-190
QLD -489
SA 489-190

so im hoping to get ppls recommendations for what visa and area would be most successful for the move (not the visa)
I’m a mechanical engineer and have mainly worked in the FMCG sector (dairy and liquids)

thanks Craig

Can't advise on your personal situation, but a few general coments.....

NT - rarely issues 190 now due to people taking the PR but never living there. If you apply for a 190 they will probably only over you a 489.
VIC - long history of rejecting people who have applied to more than one State as they want people who are committed to living there.
190 in general - migration agents are reporting that people who take a 190 are now being expected to actually follow through with the commitment to live in the sponsoring State for 2 years, and there are occurrences now where 190s are being cancelled if people do not stick to this requirement.

old.sparkles Nov 11th 2018 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Craigus1984 (Post 12591449)
evening all

NT 489-190
TAS -489
NSW 489-190
QLD -489
SA 489-190

thanks Craig

I would go for the 190 over the 489 in the first instance.

If you pick SA, then you are probably looking at Adelaide area although there are a few others. For work SA would have wineries, breweries, dairy, variety of food manufacturers, etc but the same is true for QLD although I have no personal experience other than a couple of approaches.

As Polly has said, NT do seem to try and get people to take a 489 instead of the 190, but I also know they struggle to find suitable candidates for some roles, and I have been approached for some positions by recruiters.

verystormy Nov 11th 2018 4:19 am

Maybe have a look at seek.com.au and check which areas have jobs for you.

Other things to consider.

NT, not a popular place to live due to a number of issues, not least the weather.

NSW, Sydney, probably Australias most iconic city, but scarily expensive to live.

Tas, stunning place, but notorious for bad job prospects.

Craigus1984 Nov 11th 2018 9:26 am

Thanks for the reply’s all..
my first thought are SA and QLD and as stated most the manufacturers seem to be in the sates.
but we are swaying towards QLD as it seems to be slightly better for cost of living (in the area codes) we can choose, this will be a help for the first year or 2 as we have funds to cover us.
We are thinking port Douglas or Hervey Bay.
Both areas I know will have a few jobs available, and look a stunning part of OZ alooked on SEEK and obviously will be less jobs than more southerly areas.

Will i I have to work in my trade or can I work outside of this?
I’m basically willing to do any work to make the move a success for the family..

thanks craig

old.sparkles Nov 11th 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Craigus1984 (Post 12591644)
Thanks for the reply’s all..
my first thought are SA and QLD and as stated most the manufacturers seem to be in the sates.
but we are swaying towards QLD as it seems to be slightly better for cost of living (in the area codes) we can choose, this will be a help for the first year or 2 as we have funds to cover us.
We are thinking port Douglas or Hervey Bay.
Both areas I know will have a few jobs available, and look a stunning part of OZ alooked on SEEK and obviously will be less jobs than more southerly areas.

Will i I have to work in my trade or can I work outside of this?
I’m basically willing to do any work to make the move a success for the family..

thanks craig

You can do any work once you have a visa :)

Craigus1984 Nov 11th 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12591646)
You can do any work once you have a visa :)

thats fantastic news