189 visa

Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Jimsanto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 visa

Hi people. I have been living in Oz now for two years and am looking to apply for PR. I am an electrician and only have 2 years 9 months experience post apprenticeship. I did work 9 years in the trade before gaining my qualification (due to circumstances). I was wondering if I can obtain proof from my company, that I was working more or less as an electrician a few years previous to being qualified, would this enable me to receive any points regarding overseas experience from immigration?

Last edited by Jimsanto; Nov 4th 2014 at 10:42 am.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 visa

Originally Posted by Jimsanto
Hi people. I have been living in Oz now for two years and am looking to apply for PR. I am an electrician and only have 2 years 9 months experience post apprenticeship. I did work 9 years in the trade before gaining my qualification (due to circumstances). I was wondering if I can obtain proof from my company, that I was working more or less as an electrician a few years previous to being qualified, would this enable me to receive any points regarding overseas experience from immigration?
Trades usually can only count post qualification experience. Do you really need the points? There is no need to claim as many as possible.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying bermudashorts, I could do with the extra points as I only get 25 for my age, I got overall 8.5 in ielts but 1 score was a 7.5 so I believe this is only 10 points. I have 5 points for working in Australia, 10 points for my trade recognition and 5 points if I tie myself to a state. So with that extra 5 points would give me a total of 60. I have thought of going for the ielts again though that would solve any issues if I get 20 points. What would you recommend mate?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying bermudashorts, I could do with the extra points as I only get 25 for my age, I got overall 8.5 in ielts but 1 score was a 7.5 so I believe this is only 10 points. I have 5 points for working in Australia, 10 points for my trade recognition and 5 points if I tie myself to a state. So with that extra 5 points would give me a total of 60. I have thought of going for the ielts again though that would solve any issues if I get 20 points. What would you recommend mate?
Sounds like IELTS is the way to go, you were very nearly there, missed by a half point.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Yeah reckon only a couple of answers in it, was on the reading. My company might also sponsor me after Christmas if they are able to meet Immigrations requirements. So that is probably the easiest option, do you reckon?Thanks again for your help mate
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah reckon only a couple of answers in it, was on the reading. My company might also sponsor me after Christmas if they are able to meet Immigrations requirements. So that is probably the easiest option, do you reckon?Thanks again for your help mate
What visa are you on now? If you are on a 457 and your company meets the requirement for that, then I would be hopeful they would meet the requirements for the permanent visa as well. If you have been on the 457 for two years then you could go through the transition stream and that would seem to make sense for you.

Generally though, if it were me and I had the choice between a 189 or an employer permanent visa and could not go through the transition stream, I would probably go for the 189. But again, if you are having trouble with points, the employer sponsored would make sense for you.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Yeah am on a 457 visa now. Sorry what do you mean by the transition stream? My company said because they hadn't spent 1 percent of their gross annual earnings on training that they did not meet the requirements set by immigration, do you know if this is correct. They said hopefully by Christmas it will be sorted. Also can my company tie me for another two years I know a 187 does but believe a 186 enables you to leave at anytime? Really appreciate your help lad
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah am on a 457 visa now. Sorry what do you mean by the transition stream? My company said because they hadn't spent 1 percent of their gross annual earnings on training that they did not meet the requirements set by immigration, do you know if this is correct. They said hopefully by Christmas it will be sorted. Also can my company tie me for another two years I know a 187 does but believe a 186 enables you to leave at anytime? Really appreciate your help lad
How long have you been working in Australia - once you hit 3 years you get 10 points rather than 5.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Only 2 years now. Seems a total farce trying to gain10 points for a recognised trade as well. Spoke to vetassess and might have to go for a skills assessment even though I've been qualified here for two years now
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Only 2 years now. Seems a total farce trying to gain10 points for a recognised trade as well. Spoke to vetassess and might have to go for a skills assessment even though I've been qualified here for two years now
If you want to avoid a skills assessment, you should hope your company sort out their training budget and go the transitional route on the 186.

If you have Australian qualifications and / or A License you can do modified skills assessment though for 189/190

Not sure what you mean by 'total farce trying to gain 10 points for a recognised trade as well'
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Sorry I meant farce as in the fact I have been working here as an electrician for two years and have an SA and a QLD government issued electrical cards also a trade recognition form and spent 7 days at peer veet in Adelaide gaining an electrical qualification and yet this still doesn't seem to be enough to be awarded 10 points for an Australian recognised trade. Sorry rant over ha. Will need to submit everything and wait and see what vetassess's response is. Immigration don't make it easy eh.
How long have you been in oz?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:12 pm

Sorry I meant farce as in the fact I have been working here as an electrician for two years and have an SA and a QLD government issued electrical cards also a trade recognition form and spent 7 days at peer veet in Adelaide gaining an electrical qualification and yet this still doesn't seem to be enough to be awarded 10 points for an Australian recognised trade. Sorry rant over ha. Will need to submit everything and wait and see what vetassess's response is. Immigration don't make it easy eh.
How long have you been in oz?
18 months.

Saw guys who had been working here in Oz fail the prac in Melbourne, Now if you have a license you don't have to do a prac but get a tech interview instead. Also don't know if you will have to do the gap training / log book / eprofiling that most overseas sparks now have to do.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying old sparkles, I was under the belief I had to apply to vetassess and then do the skills assessment in melb either way, Is this not the case then if I already have a license? Do I still apply to vetassess and send off all the required documents then just have to do a technical interview?
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:33 am

Thanks for replying old sparkles, I was under the belief I had to apply to vetassess and then do the skills assessment in melb either way, Is this not the case then if I already have a license? Do I still apply to vetassess and send off all the required documents then just have to do a technical interview?
Check pathway 2 - Application Process (Trade Occupation, Skills Assessment for Migration) - VETASSESS

Think it's also been mentioned in the Electricians section - Electricians - British Expats - might be worth searching
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks again mate yeah reckon that forum would be more suitable for myself