Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

17yr old now wants to live with us in OZ?VISA

17yr old now wants to live with us in OZ?VISA

Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default 17yr old now wants to live with us in OZ?VISA

HI ALL

I wonder if anyone can help.

My 17 yr old son was adamant that he would not come to oz,so he stayed in uk with his dad(my ex husband).
Dilemma now is 9 months later he wants to come!!which is fantastic for us as a family.he did have medicals at the request of DIMIA but nothing else.
Problem is he will be 18 in 4 months time.Is it too late??I hope not

Can I get him a visa?? and which one to go for.All help gratefully appreciated

Id hate to have to leave him in the uk,now that he wants to join us and his brother and sister

Last edited by ellie10990; Dec 1st 2007 at 2:18 am.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17yr old now wants to live with us in OZ?VISA

Originally Posted by ellie10990
HI ALL

My 17 yr old son was adamant that he would not come to oz,so he stayed in uk with his dad(my ex husband).
Dilemma now is 9 months later he wants to come!!which is fantastic for us as a family.he did have medicals at the request of DIMIA but nothing else.

Id hate to have to leave him in the uk,now that he wants to join us and his brother and sister
It's not too late, but could easily be too late once he's turned 18. So you have not got a moment to waste.

A child visa is what you are looking for. As long as he is under 18 when he applies, you should not need to prove financial dependency. Hopefully he is still single ...

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami.../101/index.htm

He will need a U.K. police check (so get that started now) and may need to re-do his medicals.

Also look at http://www.australia.org.uk for London specific information.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

the snospmis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 17yr old now wants to live with us in OZ?VISA

Hi, My son was only 17 when I sent off my visa application . However my case officer still requested evidence of dependance. You will need to download form 47A (details of Child over 18 ETC) also Form 80 and you may need to have a statutory declaration for permission to migrate. My son was still in college so I sent a copy of his student card , Child benefit record, and a letter from college confirming he was a student. I hope this helps. Annette
Old Dec 1st 2007, 4:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the snospmis
Hi, My son was only 17 when I sent off my visa application . However my case officer still requested evidence of dependance. You will need to download form 47A (details of Child over 18 ETC) also Form 80 and you may need to have a statutory declaration for permission to migrate.
This is not quite correct in this circumstance.

On skilled visas, it is true that dependency is assessed at the time of visa decision, not visa application.

However, on a child visa, they "freeze" the age at time of application. And "evidence of dependence" is not required for those under 18.

Different visas, different rules.

Statutory declaration should not be needed for a 17 year old in the United Kingdom, as discussed:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Child_...an_Immigration

Child visas are normally processed quite quickly in London, so it would be simpler and quite feasible to get it done in 4 months.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

HI ALL

I came here on a 457 visa..employer sponsored me and my family..my daughter didnt want to join us either so stayed in UK with her dad..when we applied for PR I was adamant to include her onto the application so that she would be able to emigrate at a later date if she wanted too (which she does now..2 yrs later..yippeee!!!)
Anyway...needed the police check and medicals in UK..letter from her dad stating that he didnt mind her moving over.. and when she got here
had to have rpt medicals!.....all easy no probs, just expensive and time consuming...BUT in order for our PR to be granted ALL applicants had to be in Australia on day of visas being issued!!
Fab news for you and good luck with your application..
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi
we had the same with my 17 year old, so I had to send a 1022 form, had to get a stat dec from his father saying he was ok with him going on our visa, he had to have a police check and a medical done.

Good luck

Tina x
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi
we had the same with my 17 year old, so I had to send a 1022 form, had to get a stat dec from his father saying he was ok with him going on our visa, he had to have a police check and a medical done.
With respect this is not quite correct either. A form 1022 won't help the original poster as visa has already been granted and no new applicants can now be added.

If the original poster has had a visa granted, which appears to be the case, then a child visa sponsorship is the only way.

Consent from parent ought not to be needed for a 17 year old in the United Kingdom.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Even though consent may be a query as to wheather its needed or not..if the other parent doesnt mind your son moving over, then to save time which is not on your side) then get it coz if the question arises down the track then you dont have to worry about it...
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

HI ALL

I'm really pleased for you

Have you got your forms ready?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by dolliedimples
Even though consent may be a query as to wheather its needed or not..if the other parent doesnt mind your son moving over, then to save time which is not on your side) then get it coz if the question arises down the track then you dont have to worry about it...
Sometimes it is better to take the approach of least resistance. But not always.

For example, if there is an unmarried father in place who does not have parental responsibility and there is no contact, then it would usually be a thoroughly bad idea to track him down asking for permission.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

thanks for all the replies

I have printed out the forms and in the process of filling them in.I have asked his dad for a letter and thankfully he is happy to do it,should the need arise.

only thing is 2 differing fees on the website one for application in australia and one for applications from outside oz??

not sure which one applies as we will be doing the from filling here in oz which my son can sign whilst he is here visiting over xmas.He will then be going back to finish college exams in Jan and await his hopeful visa.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:08 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of application our son was 17, we are waiting for a decision on a 136 modl independant visa.

No request has been made by CO to prove dependency our meds have been in since November 1st they have stat dec from ex partner for son to be added to visas.

Does anyone know what the likelyhood of us being asked now to prove it is.

Hopefully as JAJ said they have frozen the age at time of application.

Thanks

Kaye
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

thanks for all the replies

I have printed out the forms and in the process of filling them in.I have asked his dad for a letter and thankfully he is happy to do it,should the need arise.

only thing is 2 differing fees on the website one for application in australia and one for applications from outside oz??
He should normally apply to the Australian High Commission London if he is resident in the U.K.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by wardy2
At the time of application our son was 17, we are waiting for a decision on a 136 modl independant visa.

No request has been made by CO to prove dependency our meds have been in since November 1st they have stat dec from ex partner for son to be added to visas.

Does anyone know what the likelyhood of us being asked now to prove it is.

Hopefully as JAJ said they have frozen the age at time of application.

For a child visa yes age is frozen, but not for a 136 visa. So if your son turns 18 before the visa is decided, you will most likely be asked to prove dependency, so make sure you can do so (dependency to DIAC's standards, not yours).
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:33 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ can you tell me why it is not so for a 136

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.